Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,586 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the area from SW VA with our 2 children (3 and 1) and are currently looking for rental homes for the first year as we learn the region before buying. There are a few properties our realtor wants us to see in Woodmoor. She says it is extremely "sought after". Can you please tell me more about this neighborhood? Are there parks within walking distance? Is it a family-friendly and safe place to be?

Also, is Woodmoor a good choice commute-wise? We don't know much about the daily traffic situation. I will be working in SS off of Brookville (WRAIR), the children will be in full-time daycare in Chevy Chase, and my husband will be commuting to the Ft. Meade area.

Thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 AM

14 posts, read 52,335 times
Default Woodmoor

Hi there-

I don't live in Woodmoor proper, but I live in Northwood Park (which is across Rt. 29 from Woodmoor). I've been in the area for about a year.

Commute-wise, Woodmoor is excellent. You are right off of 495 (the Beltway), and also very close (about 3 miles) to the Silver Spring metro station. Its also very convenient--in the Woodmoor shopping center there is a Starbucks, mom 'n pop bakery that's AMAZING, a CVS, and a small grocery store that has a surprising good selection of beer and wine. The area does lack a decent grocery store, but there is a Trader Joe's within 1 mile.

There are parks in the area, although I'm not sure if they would be within walking distance. Montgomery County seems to have small parks throughout neighborhoods that might have a field and a small playground, so you may have one of those in your neighborhood. Otherwise, Wheaton Regional Park is nearby (and has a skating rink, dog park, and carousel, I believe), and within 3 miles.

I would safe the area is safe and family friendly. I really love it here, and wouldn't have any qualms about raising children in the area. Silver Spring in general is very diverse, but I think this is a great aspect of living here. You're very close to Langley Park which, unfortunately, has its share of issues...but I feel like the DC area in general has very nice neighborhoods closely bordered by less desirable areas, IMO.

Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland