Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,138 times

Advertisements

I will be going to school in January in Gaithersburg.(hopefully) I am a 26 year old female, I will be living alone. My husband is a Marine and will be stationed in Japan for a year, so I figured I might as well go to school while he is gone.

So, I will be looking for a 1br/1bathroom apartment. My biggest concern is safety and cleanliness. I would like a commute no longer than 30 minutes(since traffic tends to turn 30 minutes into 90 minutes), and looking around it seems like any decent place is around $1,300-$1,500. I would love something less expensive than that, especially considering utilities will tack on at least another couple hundred dollars.

But, like I said safety, safety, safety. I will have no one nearby, I am originally from Ohio.

Right now I live in Woodbridge, so it is a bit of a hike up there, So I would like to see as many decent places as I can in the next two weeks before I go back to Ohio for a couple of months.

I've done a lot of internet searching, but it is hard to tell from most ratings since there are usually 10 or so spanning the past 2-3 years. Lots can change in that amount of time. Good or bad.

Any help on places to definitely avoid, or places to check out would be very, very much appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:55 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,845 times
I cannot comment on specific apartment buildings but, given your budget, I would suggest you consider either a lower-level apartment in someone's house (if you are OK with people overhead--the number of people can be important--like, one quiet person vs. a family) -- or a shared situation. Yes, I know, no one usually wants to "go back to roommate living" but the reality is that this is a very expensive area and if you find a person (or persons) you think you could be compatible with it can feel safer and less lonely as well as give you more space, maybe a better neighborhood etc. Craigslist is a good source. You will be asked for your references and it is fair for you to ask too for names of their past tenants or roommates as references. Or, maybe you could find another F who needs a place and look for a place together. It's only a year. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2010, 06:09 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Check the Fields of Gaithersburg on School Drive.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,845 times
Maximum income limits apply at the Fields complexes. Just FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland