Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 9,812 times

Advertisements

I'm finishing up job training in the DC area and am now in apartment hunting mode. Work wise either of these two cities will be fine. I am specifically looking at three places.

The Bennington in Silver Spring
Blairs in Silver Spring
Mosiac at Metro in Hyattsville

I'm 25 with a fiance, and a dog. These three places are all near the metro and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how the areas near these metros are. They are all less than a mile walk and fit what I need. Just wanted more information about the area around the metro, what there is to do, the safety etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargo54 View Post
I'm finishing up job training in the DC area and am now in apartment hunting mode. Work wise either of these two cities will be fine. I am specifically looking at three places.

Blairs in Silver Spring

I'm 25 with a fiance, and a dog. These three places are all near the metro and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how the areas near these metros are. They are all less than a mile walk and fit what I need. Just wanted more information about the area around the metro, what there is to do, the safety etc.
I used to live in the Blairs a few years ago. It's a pretty nice area. Depending on what part you stay in you will have certain amenities in your building (fitness center). There is a pool in the middle of the community. Behind it there is a Giant, CVS, and some shops (pizzeria, Caribou Coffee, etc.) and even across the street (Starbucks, Einstein Bagel). Walking to the metro from there shouldn't be too difficult. As you walk past the Metro you will enter into what is known as "Downtown Silver Spring". There are restaurants, shops and two movie theatres. It's a nice area for young people. There is also the mall, City Place, which is in my honest opinion one of the worst malls in this area. There isn't a whole lot in this mall and you probably would spend a majority of your time in the Downtown part or going on the metro to another place. Safety can be a little iffy. Overall it isn't that bad there but you just have to take certain precautions like not being out at night by yourself.

I don't really know anything about the Bennington but it is in the general vicinity so most of what I said would still apply.

As far as the Mosaic, there is a little bit of controversy on here. PG Plaza Metro Station is known for being one of the most dangerous and has a high rate of larceny. Some will tell you that it is safe and no problems. Everybody has a different experience/perspective. In my opinion for the money, it's not worth it. Silver Spring is a much better location, but I'm sure there will be some who disagree.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 9,812 times
Ok thanks for some prespective. We have been leaning towards the Blairs but I was put off the fact that w/d was not in unit. Oh well, it also seems to be the best bang for your buck, especially with a dog.

Anyone else with opinons on Hyattsville or Silver Spring?

Last edited by cargo54; 08-30-2011 at 08:08 AM..

Old 09-04-2011, 08:11 PM

772 posts, read 1,141,723 times
Quote:
Ok thanks for some prespective. We have been leaning towards the Blairs but I was put off the fact that w/d was not in unit. Oh well, it also seems to be the best bang for your buck, especially with a dog.

Anyone else with opinons on Hyattsville or Silver Spring?
SS is considered a nicer area (especially downtown and the western side).

Old 09-06-2011, 12:53 PM

195 posts, read 473,367 times
I'm a Hyattsville partisan, so take this with a grain of salt. Mosaic at Metro is much newer than the Blairs, but it's hardly a bad area. You'd be not too far from a public dog park (Nicholson and Ager; about a mile walk through the neighborhood). Also, depending upon where you're working the Green Line commute might be easier than the Red Line from Silver Spring. The crime at PG Plaza Metro is mostly petty larceny; I'd hardly consider the area dangerous, but it is a little grittier than Downtown Silver Spring. Also, there are more amenities in Downtown Silver Spring than the UTC area in Hyattsville. Both have a multiplex movie theater; Hyattsville has fewer dining options -- although the ones we have are quite good, including Hank's and Wild Onion in the UTC development. Franklin's Brewpub, Busboys & Poets, and other good food options are within 2.5 miles. From the Blairs, you'd have fairly easy access into Rock Creek Park; in Hyattsville, we have a lot of good parks and are tied in to the Anacostia Tributaries Trail System.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:46 AM

94 posts, read 193,155 times
I just moved and looked at all those places. Mosaic at Metro is the closest to the Metro...just across the street, but the others are about 2-3 blocks away. All three are great apartments. You might want to look at Archstone Wheaton, too. also about 1 Block from Metro and near the mall and lots of amenities (I only passed on that because of price)
Good luck!

Quote:

Blairs in Silver Spring

Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,165 times
Default Silver Spring

Quote:

Blairs in Silver Spring

I agree with one of the previous posts. SS would be your best bet. I live near the Blairs at the Clairidge House. the Blairs are ok --if you get a nice unit in a nice location. There are several bldgs so you never know what you're going to get. I tried getting a place there but wasnt offered a unit that was to my satisfaction. Several of the apt bldgs downtown are nice but if you have a car...you'll have to pay to park,,,99 and up. The Clairidge is acceptable if you don't have to have the fancy details, It has a laundry room on every floor which is great. Unfortunately they are not accepting animals at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland