Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
While the old town part of Frederick is OK, it won't compare with DC or downtown Bethesda. The commute can be really bad actually, since 270 is a four lane highway (two on each side) all the way to Germantown. The way home can be especially horrendous as four lanes merge into two at that point.
I agree on the commute, it would be killer, but disagree on the nightlife. Downtown Frederick has many more options than Bethesda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 07:53 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
I agree on the commute, it would be killer, but disagree on the nightlife. Downtown Frederick has many more options than Bethesda.
If you just took "Downtown Frederick" and "Bethesda" by themselves they'd be in the same league IMO.

But in each direction from Frederick:
E: Farms
W: More farms
N: Farms with KKK members
S: Urbana

From Bethesda:
E: 16th Street Heights/Silver Spring
N: Rockville
W: Potomac
S: Woodley Park/AU Park

OTOH, if you're barely able to afford the fun of Bethesda/DC, this means less money for socializing, or (even worse) running up credit card debts. Frederick's not a social wasteland, and OP has more money for beer.

Commuting issues, good point there. I'd always thought 270 was ok until you hit Gaithersburg.

In theory CCT will go up to Frederick but that won't happen until 202X.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:56 PM

520 posts, read 597,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
If you just took "Downtown Frederick" and "Bethesda" by themselves they'd be in the same league IMO.

But in each direction from Frederick:
E: Farms
W: More farms
N: Farms with KKK members
S: Urbana

From Bethesda:
E: 16th Street Heights/Silver Spring
N: Rockville
W: Potomac
S: Woodley Park/AU Park

OTOH, if you're barely able to afford the fun of Bethesda/DC, this means less money for socializing, or (even worse) running up credit card debts. Frederick's not a social wasteland, and OP has more money for beer.

Commuting issues, good point there. I'd always thought 270 was ok until you hit Gaithersburg.

In theory CCT will go up to Frederick but that won't happen until 202X.
Hmmm...I didn't realize Frederick's downtown had grown to Bethesda levels. Quite frankly, I haven't been up there in about ten years.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:47 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,452 times
Quote:
Hmmm...I didn't realize Frederick's downtown had grown to Bethesda levels. Quite frankly, I haven't been up there in about ten years.
I don't go too often, but was up there recently for a night out and was impressed. There are a lot of options.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Quote:
They've put up a LOT along Carroll Creek/All Saints in the past decade.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM

520 posts, read 597,217 times
I'll have to go check it out some time.....if I can bring myself to drive up that far!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 AM

12 posts, read 27,396 times
Thanks for all the input. I've been looking near the Rio lately - most of my coworkers live in Frederick - so I'm also going to consider that. I'm a little hesitant on DC because I don't know how much better the commute would be from there (in relation to current Baltimore commute).

Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 AM

12 posts, read 27,396 times
It's also nice to hear that Frederick has some nightlife to offer.. I'm used to going out in Baltimore and walking everywhere.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 PM

607 posts, read 1,373,343 times
Bethesda would be your best option around here. Not too far from DC, but also more... 'professionalized' than most of the city (excluding the extreme NW section). It's also slightly cheaper, though by no means is it inexpensive. Rockville isn't bad, but unless you really want to live close to Gaithersburg, it probably isn't what you want judging from your criteria.

Frederick isn't a bad option either, now that it's brought up.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:54 PM

1,261 posts, read 694,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardo5 View Post
I recently took a job in Gaithersburg and currently commute from Baltimore. It roughly takes me an hour to an hour and a half. I am interested in moving to Montgomery County and was wondering what were the best places for a young professional. I really like living in Baltimore, and I would like to find an area where I could still have nightlife and meet people. I am also looking to shorten my commute if possible. I've been leaning towards Bethesda, Silver Spring. Would Rockville or DC be an option? Thanks in advance!
Bethesda is good, and Rockville Town Center might work. Rockville Town Center might be cheaper, rent wise, but not sure. Best bet, Bethesda or say, Chevy Chase, or Tenleytown in DC, but stay on the Metro, Redline would take you all over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland