Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:21 AM

1,261 posts, read 694,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Arlington is less than 10% black. It would take decades for that change to happen.

As for the rest, it is interesting to see so many leaving out of Maryland in general. And the places that have a decline in white population seem to have Hispanics as the fastest growing group.
Where are the Whites going? are they aging and moving toward a retirement setting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:36 AM

709 posts, read 1,130,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
Where are the Whites going? are they aging and moving toward a retirement setting?
I think they're moving to DC and Northern VA.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:20 AM

631 posts, read 1,396,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
I think they're moving to DC and Northern VA.
But isnt Alexandria in Northern VA

Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Yes, and that is turning spanish.....I think whites are leaving the area as they near retirement age. Fastest growing populations are spanish/latin whatever you call this group these days.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:50 PM

63 posts, read 102,309 times
Re: "Where are the Whites going? are they aging and moving toward a retirement setting?"

I don't know about the rest of that demographic but this retired WASP sold his home of 30-years in Loudoun County and am leaving this week for another worldwide trip, this time to Angor Wat, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, etc. The empty nest got boring a few years ago so I decided to cash in and enjoy my final half century. No geriatric green pastures for me. Play my guitar, do my artwork, write, ride bicycle in the snow, tutor my girlfriend's kid and await my next inclination to explore.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renznceman View Post
Re: "Where are the Whites going? are they aging and moving toward a retirement setting?"

I don't know about the rest of that demographic but this retired WASP sold his home of 30-years in Loudoun County and am leaving this week for another worldwide trip, this time to Angor Wat, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, etc. The empty nest got boring a few years ago so I decided to cash in and enjoy my final half century. No geriatric green pastures for me. Play my guitar, do my artwork, write, ride bicycle in the snow, tutor my girlfriend's kid and await my next inclination to explore.
Awesome! Lucky you. Who needs cold snowy DC....with its traffice, rude people and massive development....have fun!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You forgot to include banks that pushed people to borrow more than they could afford.
Yes how can we forget everyone is a victim!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
They are moving to all the new and hip parts of DC (the gentrified parts) as well as to Ballston and Clarendon VA. Those parts of VA are pretty pasty. Much whiter than basically any part of Montgomery country including Bethesda.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:56 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Does that apply also to the institutional investors that were sold these toxic financial instruments wrapped up neat and nice and called "investment-grade" products - even touted by ratings firms? At least one 100-year investment firm tanked. And if not for the help of the federal government, many more would have tanked as well. But of course since they wear $2000 suits and have degrees, we're not supposed to question their discernment - the supposedly informed investors that are paid millions a year not to fall for the okie-doke.
Yes it does apply to institutional investors! You know why? Smart investors avoided or shorted those products because they did their homework. How do you explain the people that made out like bandits predicting the failure of the system?

Maybe the 100 year firm hired someone that was not a good investor?

Old 12-10-2013, 09:36 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yes how can we forget everyone is a victim!
Everyone did get hurt when the economy crashed, so I guess you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland