Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 02:29 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
What??? When is the last time you been to Germantown? Its FAR from ghetto that your making it seem. They have brand new town homes being built that start upper 300s (Waterford Hills), Beazer Homes being built in "Germantown Park" also starting at Upper 300s, New Bozzuto Apartments (Leaman Farms) New Wegmans, La Fitness (Coming Soon), 8 starbucks, and Harris teeter in Germantown/Darnestown.

Germantown is really Ghetto!!!
The only one using the word "ghetto" is you.

I never said ghetto. I said the poor are being pushed out to Germantown.. which is 100% true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldway View Post
Yes it's called settling for less. Make a good pay check and live in a 1100sf row house. Yes it's great to be able to walk or short metro ride to work,but at the end of the day what do you have to show for it? A 1100sf row house living next door to people you don't like or don't talk with. How many kids you plan to raise in that 2 bedroom 1 bath shanty? Lol. I'll take my 4600sf 5 bedroom, 4-bath, 3 car garage house any day over that "house".
Yeah.. a lot of people made that decision back in 2005-2007. We saw how that went.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
But with the "big" paychecks in the DC area they can afford to pay for any repair. At least that's why I hear everyone wants to move to DC.

Seriously though for people that want to raise a family, how do you do that in a 2 bedroom 1 bath house? That is of course people no longer want to have families, which I do believe is growing trend anyway.
Some people raise families in apartments believe it or not. The question should really be: "How do you raise a family and look rich at the same time while living in an urban setting?"

What you talk about is WANTS over needs. Trying to live up to the Joneses and look "successful".

How do you raise a family in a big mini-mansion while living in an urban setting? The answer is.. YOU DON'T.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:59 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
The only one using the word "ghetto" is you.

I never said ghetto. I said the poor are being pushed out to Germantown.. which is 100% true.

I'd also like to know how poor automatically equals ghetto. But we've already had the discussion about the definition of ghetto.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:27 PM

202 posts, read 347,398 times
Quote:
Yeah.. a lot of people made that decision back in 2005-2007. We saw how that went.
I bought a one on foreclosure. Worked ok for me.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:34 PM

202 posts, read 347,398 times
Quote:
Some people raise families in apartments believe it or not. The question should really be: "How do you raise a family and look rich at the same time while living in an urban setting?"

What you talk about is WANTS over needs. Trying to live up to the Joneses and look "successful".

How do you raise a family in a big mini-mansion while living in an urban setting? The answer is.. YOU DON'T.
It's not keeping up with the joneses. It's having something better than an over priced cramped apartment to raise a family. I work 60+ hour work weeks and would like to have something to show for it. Guess its different priorities and where you are in life. I wasn't raised in an apartment and did not grow upon the city. Raising my children in a 2 bedroom house would be like a step back for me, but that is just me.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
It's not keeping up with the joneses. It's having something better than an over priced cramped apartment to raise a family. I work 60+ hour work weeks and would like to have something to show for it. Guess its different priorities and where you are in life. I wasn't raised in an apartment and did not grow upon the city. Raising my children in a 2 bedroom house would be like a step back for me, but that is just me.
Like I said: WANTS over needs.

Its less about being practical and more about looking rich.

Nothing wrong with that. Just be honest.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:21 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
I was raised in an apartment and in a city, although it was Alexandria. I've always perferred urban enviroments as a result. However, I recently moved to Waldorf. I've come around to your line of thinking. There comes a point in one's life that after working hard you want to come home to a decent place to rest your head.

To each their own but living cramped up lost its appeal to me. I can always visit the city and everything I need on the day to day is a short drive or even walk.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:45 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,021 times
Quote:
But with the "big" paychecks in the DC area they can afford to pay for any repair. At least that's why I hear everyone wants to move to DC.

Seriously though for people that want to raise a family, how do you do that in a 2 bedroom 1 bath house? That is of course people no longer want to have families, which I do believe is growing trend anyway.
My grandfather worked in a poor rural village, but he wanted his children to go to good schools. So he sent his wife and their EIGHT children to live in the city, where they bought an apartment that had 2 bedrooms, a den, and one bathroom. I believe they also had a live-in maid. I've seen this apartment and it couldn't be more than 1500 square feet if I'm being generous. No one in our family recoils at their childhood in this situation, it just wasn't that abnormal to them. I may be crazy but it appears that they had a mostly happy childhood in that home. My uncle also raised HIS four person family in that apartment decades later. My husband also grew up with his parents and sister in an even smaller 2 bedroom one bath apartment. That's in another country but apparently you do not NEED a gigantic space in order to have a happy life.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:54 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,776 times
Quote:
But it all depends... if you are closer to work vs. 50 miles out, maybe you can actually participate in raising your kids (if you actually work 60+ hours). Guess you could "telework" or something... then that would be okay.

It all depends on the situation... and where you work. I would never live out there... already been out maybe 100+ times since I have friends out there. Already heard the bus stories (kinds of people, hard ride, etc). Maybe that won't bother some. Dunno.

At the end, more people are making the decision to move in closer to the city... live a different life... be home for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland