Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times

Advertisements

There are a number of projects that will either be under construction or completed in the near future (3 years). As more of these properties come online, the reconstruction of Rt. 1 becomes more important in terms of walk-ability and bike-ability.

College Park Place- DSP-12034
8315 Baltimore Avenue
Redevelopment of the Koon’s Ford dealership is led by Keane
Enterprises, who plan a 156-room Courtyard Marriott hotel, 23,615 SF of retail, and a 275-space parking garage on the 3.13-acre site.
CVS Pharmacy will serve as the retail anchor on the corner of Route 1 and Berwyn House Road. This will be their second location in College Park, as they occupy a space in downtown at the College Park Shopping Center.
The expected opening date is late 2015.

Maryland Book Exchange - DSP-10028
7501 Baltimore Avenue
After a lengthy entitlement process that took over a year, the Maryland Book Exchange redevelopment recently broke ground.
Demolition of the former retail store finished in early November and excavation of the site is currently in progress.
The student housing development will add 287 units (a maximum of 855 beds) to
downtown College Park in Fall 2015. On the ground floor of the six-story building will be 13,844 square feet of retail including the
relocated Maryland Book Exchange, which closed its location on site this summer.
The developer of the project is R J Company, which includes local developer, Zusin
Development. A management company for the building has not been announced yet.

Cafritz Property - DSP-13009
Baltimore Avenue in Riverdale Park
The mixed-use project on 37.55 acres of land was approved by Prince George’s County on May 31st. The first phase includes a Whole Foods Grocery store, an additional 100,000 SF of retail, and 22,000 SF of office space. The second phase includes
981 residential units and a 120-room hotel.
The first step in development of the site will be clearing of the property, which is expected to begin in the next month or two. (Other sources say Whole Foods is expected to open sometime in 2015.)

TownePlace Suites - DSP-06018
9620-9624 Baltimore Avenue
The nearly $6 million project by Baywood Hotels will consist of a 75-room extended stay hotel operated by Marriott.
After receiving final zoning approvals in 2012, the applicant is in the process of amending their DSP. Construction is not expected to begin before spring 2014.

The following properties are set to be reviewed by the end of next month. Note that both properties are empty plats of land for the most part. Therefore excavation would start almost immediately. If approved, I see no reason why construction couldn't start by the summer of 2014.

Monument Village - DSP-06095
9122-9128 Baltimore Avenue
The revived plans from Monument Realty to develop the 3.78-acre site on the west side of Route 1 are progressing through the planning process.
The developer has met several times with the community to address concerns and the next step is a review of the plan by the City Council on December 3rd.
The original plans included
200 apartments and 25,000 SF of retail, while the amended plan shows 235 apartments and a reduced retail
component of 4,800 SF along Route 1.

Metropolitan - DSP-03098
9091 Baltimore Avenue
Across the street from Monument Village, this long-dormant project is also moving forward with a new
developer, Metropolitan Development Group, and a modified plan.
The 4.22-acre site was originally slated for 160 apartments and over 40,000 SF of retail, while the amended plan shows 228 apartments, 55 townhomes, and a large reduction in retail space to 3,995 SF along Route 1.
The plan will be discussed with City Council on November 19th and the County Planning Board on December 5th.

Read more: http://shopcollegepark.org/wp-conten...2013-small.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:58 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,566,069 times
Yeah parts of PG are definitely transitioning. I was talking to a friend of mine about that tonight. We both agreed that, in addition to these projects PG would benefit from adding a street car system similar to what Arlington and DC are doing. They could have lines bridging the gaps between neighborhoods like College Park and the Arts District or National Harbor and Navy Yard/DHS. Now the later would need to wait until the neighborhoods transition more.

I also heard that the Blvd is getting some new decent tenants(Gold's Gym is building their largest facility in the area there, and a couple of new restaurants.) and the Woodmore has a few restaurants opening up, is building a 24 hour fitness and have broken ground on a few townhouses. Also, Laurel will be delivering their grocery store at the end of this month and are on track to be completed 2016 ([http://laurel.patch.com/groups/busin...ew-t76785b1fca).

Let me not forget Tanger which is opening up this Friday at the NH. I went by there tonight to look around again (its just great to see some of these stores finally in the county and the layout is top notch) and the grounds manager said that they have arranged for an additional 1000 parking spots to supplement the 2000 that they already have to help with the crowd this weekend.

Last edited by UrbanScholar; 11-18-2013 at 09:31 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Yeah parts of PG are definitely transitioning. I was talking to a friend of mine about that tonight. We both agreed that, in addition to these projects PG would benefit from adding a street car system similar to what Arlington and DC are doing. They could have lines bridging the gaps between neighborhoods like College Park and the Arts District or National Harbor and Navy Yard/DHS. Now the later would need to wait until the neighborhoods transition more.

I also heard that the Blvd is getting some new decent tenants(Gold's Gym is building their largest facility in the area there, and a couple of new restaurants.) and the Woodmore has a few restaurants opening up, is building a 24 hour fitness and have broken ground on a few townhouses. Also, Laurel will be delivering their grocery store at the end of this month and are on track to be completed 2016 ([Laurel Mall Redevelopment: New Tenant, Construction Schedule Unveiled - Business - Laurel, MD Patch).

Let me not forget Tanger which is opening up this Friday at the NH. I went by there tonight to look around again (its just great to see some of these stores finally in the county and the layout is top notch) and the grounds manager said that they have arranged for an additional 1000 parking spots to supplement the 2000 that they already have to help with the crowd this weekend.
I think it is fantastic. The recession took a lot of steam out of a number of projects in the county. But now things are back where they left off in 2007. I'm proud that PGC now has stores that some of the wealthier counties don't have. Now if we could just get MGM at National Harbor and have a Tiffanys and a few other Chevy Chase/Tyson's Galleria stores, National Harbor would be among the luxury retail centers of the DC area (Chevy Chase is currently known as the Rodeo Drive of the DC area).

But back on topic, College Park as it stands now is an embarrassment. If it weren't for the fact that UMD, a top research school, was the core of the city, it would be like some of the other blighted neighborhoods in the county. But because College Park encompasses Maryland's flagship institution, the blight makes College Park that much worse. I'm glad that RT.1 development is picking up pace. They are wayyyyyy behind in making College Park a top 10 college town. At least by 30 years. Sheesh it's so sad. Can you imagine Michigan or Ohio state fans coming to College Park? I'm sure they would say to themselves, "WTH? Is this how the state of Maryland treats its students and staff at its flagship university?"

Now that Greenberg + Gibbons gave up on developing the golf course, they agreed to focus on RT. 1 to see how they can contribute there. I say go for it! The more the merrier. Hopefully when the Purple Line is completed, the revitalization of RT. 1 will be at its peak all the way to the DC line.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I think it is fantastic. The recession took a lot of steam out of a number of projects in the county. But now things are back where they left off in 2007. I'm proud that PGC now has stores that some of the wealthier counties don't have. Now if we could just get MGM at National Harbor and have a Tiffanys and a few other Chevy Chase/Tyson's Galleria stores, National Harbor would be among the luxury retail centers of the DC area (Chevy Chase is currently known as the Rodeo Drive of the DC area).

But back on topic, College Park as it stands now is an embarrassment. If it weren't for the fact that UMD, a top research school, was the core of the city, it would be like some of the other blighted neighborhoods in the county. But because College Park encompasses Maryland's flagship institution, the blight makes College Park that much worse. I'm glad that RT.1 development is picking up pace. They are wayyyyyy behind in making College Park a top 10 college town. At least by 30 years. Sheesh it's so sad. Can you imagine Michigan or Ohio state fans coming to College Park? I'm sure they would say to themselves, "WTH? Is this how the state of Maryland treats its students and staff at its flagship university?"

Now that Greenberg + Gibbons gave up on developing the golf course, they agreed to focus on RT. 1 to see how they can contribute there. I say go for it! The more the merrier. Hopefully when the Purple Line is completed, the revitalization of RT. 1 will be at its peak all the way to the DC line.
Given the number of projects underway College Park/Route 1 is definitely going to be improved for the better. Like you said previously, those changes could make it a model city and put in line with the calibur of the institution it surrounds.

I also agree that NH could be position as upscale with more mainstream high-end retailers. I was in Atlanta visiting some friends from undergrad and they took me to Phipps Plaza(Find A Mall Nearby -OR- Change Your Mall - Simon Malls - Simon Malls) in Buckhead. Wow, now that would be a great model for NH to follow in terms of tenants. With Tanger opening they actually have some of the standards. They would just need to target some of the higher end stores to complete the mix. If they could pull those types of stores (which is possible) it would be a major threat to the usual suspects in that space.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Given the number of projects underway College Park/Route 1 is definitely going to be improved for the better. Like you said previously, those changes could make it a model city and put in line with the calibur of the institution it surrounds.

I also agree that NH could be position as upscale with more mainstream high-end retailers. I was in Atlanta visiting some friends from undergrad and they took me to Phipps Plaza(Find A Mall Nearby -OR- Change Your Mall - Simon Malls - Simon Malls) in Buckhead. Wow, now that would be a great model for NH to follow in terms of tenants. With Tanger opening they actually have some of the standards. They would just need to target some of the higher end stores to complete the mix. If they could pull those types of stores (which is possible) it would be a major threat to the usual suspects in that space.

At least College Park is getting a Gateway Newstand. Big time! But I think PGC would need to beuild a Tysons Croner Mall from the ground up. National Harbor seems to be more of an entertainment harbor type place. unless they decide to use a parcel to create a Galleria with about 15 upper-scale stores. It would only require a small footprint. Maybe half the size of Tyson's Galleria. But we digress and dream of dreams that may never come true.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
At least College Park is getting a Gateway Newstand. Big time! But I think PGC would need to beuild a Tysons Croner Mall from the ground up. National Harbor seems to be more of an entertainment harbor type place. unless they decide to use a parcel to create a Galleria with about 15 upper-scale stores. It would only require a small footprint. Maybe half the size of Tyson's Galleria. But we digress and dream of dreams that may never come true.
Stop the presses a gateway newstand?!!! Awww schucks!! Isnt Konterra supposed to be more retail centric in that they will have a mall/towncenter there? A galleria would be a great idea but I think the closest we will get to that is the 30 K sq ft proposed by MGM. Speaking of retail was there ever any mention as to why PNG did not propose retail in their project or identified a minority partner. Those things seem to be a given since the others did.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 PM

Default University of Maryland to weigh 300-room East Campus hotel that would be developed by David Hillman

something that piggybacks on your original post

Quote:
The University of Maryland is close to a deal that could bring a 300-room hotel to its East Campus, a redevelopment prospect university officials have been trying to get moving since before the recession.
University of Maryland to weigh 300-room East Campus hotel that would be developed by David Hillman - Baltimore Business Journal

Old 11-19-2013, 09:44 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Purple Line will be the key. Once that's in place or UC, I think College Park near the campus will completely take off near the line.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I've been waiting on an update about that. I do hope it will be a nice hotel. Hopefully a brand name can manage it like Marriott does for the UMUC hotel and conference center. I would love for a Hilton to manage it. Mix it up a bit. I think upscale is the way to go on RT. 1 with so many dives and motels that still exist.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I've been waiting on an update about that. I do hope it will be a nice hotel. Hopefully a brand name can manage it like Marriott does for the UMUC hotel and conference center. I would love for a Hilton to manage it. Mix it up a bit. I think upscale is the way to go on RT. 1 with so many dives and motels that still exist.
Hopefully so. Do you know if this builder has done other hotels? If so who have they collaborated with? That will be a good indicator of who will manage it. I am sure it will be someone that will add some value to the area and not detract from it. Rt. 1 has been a motel haven for far too long and needs to take it to the next level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland