Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:57 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Hmmm interesting that they would choose to start without having approval for the federal section. That's risky.
I'm not so sure it is risky. It sounded like the Trump administration was just as excited as Hogan was. They had nothing but good things to say about it. If the Purple Line is any indication, they are open to new transportation projects that are partly funded by the private sector. Especially if they are practically free and out of site (underground).

Just the fact that Musk is already digging is an indication that the Feds may already be on board. Or at least leaning heavily in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 04:51 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I'm not so sure it is risky. It sounded like the Trump administration was just as excited as Hogan was. They had nothing but good things to say about it. If the Purple Line is any indication, they are open to new transportation projects that are partly funded by the private sector. Especially if they are practically free and out of site (underground).

Just the fact that Musk is already digging is an indication that the Feds may already be on board. Or at least leaning heavily in that direction.
Risky in the sense of legislative delays. They may be on board but it's always better if they have formally committed to the project. The risk may be low but it is still a risk until mitigated.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
Risky in the sense of legislative delays. They may be on board but it's always better if they have formally committed to the project. The risk may be low but it is still a risk until mitigated.
Oh I agree. There's always some risk. But I don't see any opposition or pushback from the feds yet.

Here's my take:

1. The Dems have been pushing for infrastructure spending since the beginning of the Obama administration. So I don't see them all of a sudden rejecting infrastructure projects such as this. It brings jobs and gives the local economies a boost. They love infrastructure spending.

2. THe Trump administration, while previously mum on infrastructure projects, suddenly feels more comfortable with public/private investment type projects rather than the government funding it all. The PUrple Line saga happened at the right time. Since it was in the news, they had an example of a public/private partnership in their backyard they could get behind. Chevy Chase NIMBYs never had a chance.

3. Trump's ego is "HUGE". THe hyperloop and maglev are new technologies that previous administrations couldn't get done. These projects would be huge feathers in his cap that he can boast about after he leaves office. "My administration brought the county the first Maglev project in the county and the first Hyperloop projects in the world." Blah blah blah. That's something positive he can put his name on (Since he does it everywhere else).

4. Dems could also get behind the idea that we now have something to show the world in innovation besides facebook, online shopping, and overrated overpriced cell phones. The Hyperloop at least is something the whole country can get behind. "Look at our Hyperloop technology! USA! USA! USA!"

5. Elon Musk likes to pay for things himself. And he has an itch to see his inventions operating in the real world. Look at all the space rockets he blew up before he finally got it right. All privately funded. He may ask the state and the federal government to chip in some cash. BUt I don't think he will let the slow bureaucratic government process of funding projects like these slow him down. He'll probably be like, "Just pay me later.", just to get this project finished.

Just my opinion. Pie in the sky? Not so much. It's been a long time since this country invented something on a scale this size.

If only the Purple Line were conceived now instead of 30 years ago. In this climate where dems and republicans agree on public/private infrastructure, we probably wouldn't have had to wait 30 years to see it constructed. If plans were drawn up 2 years ago, we would probably see construction start next year or in 2019.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
3. Trump's ego is "HUGE". THe hyperloop and maglev are new technologies that previous administrations couldn't get done. These projects would be huge feathers in his cap that he can boast about after he leaves office. "My administration brought the county the first Maglev project in the county and the first Hyperloop projects in the world." Blah blah blah. That's something positive he can put his name on (Since he does it everywhere else).
Nevermind. Just found out France is going to be first.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/20...ica-exclusive/

Old 10-20-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Oh I agree. There's always some risk. But I don't see any opposition or pushback from the feds yet.

Here's my take:

1. The Dems have been pushing for infrastructure spending since the beginning of the Obama administration. So I don't see them all of a sudden rejecting infrastructure projects such as this. It brings jobs and gives the local economies a boost. They love infrastructure spending.

2. THe Trump administration, while previously mum on infrastructure projects, suddenly feels more comfortable with public/private investment type projects rather than the government funding it all. The PUrple Line saga happened at the right time. Since it was in the news, they had an example of a public/private partnership in their backyard they could get behind. Chevy Chase NIMBYs never had a chance.

4. Dems could also get behind the idea that we now have something to show the world in innovation besides facebook, online shopping, and overrated overpriced cell phones. The Hyperloop at least is something the whole country can get behind. "Look at our Hyperloop technology! USA! USA! USA!"

5. Elon Musk likes to pay for things himself. And he has an itch to see his inventions operating in the real world. Look at all the space rockets he blew up before he finally got it right. All privately funded. He may ask the state and the federal government to chip in some cash. BUt I don't think he will let the slow bureaucratic government process of funding projects like these slow him down. He'll probably be like, "Just pay me later.", just to get this project finished.

Just my opinion. Pie in the sky? Not so much. It's been a long time since this country invented something on a scale this size.

If only the Purple Line were conceived now instead of 30 years ago. In this climate where dems and republicans agree on public/private infrastructure, we probably wouldn't have had to wait 30 years to see it constructed. If plans were drawn up 2 years ago, we would probably see construction start next year or in 2019.
All good points and hopefully that will be the case. This would do a lot for the future of transportation in this region.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Nevermind. Just found out France is going to be first.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/20...ica-exclusive/
Like that will stop him from making that claim LOL

Old 10-21-2017, 01:20 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Why is everyone saying that the hyperloop project has started construction? The WaPo article doesn't say that at all. Is there some other article out there that says digging has started or is everyone just misreading the same thing?

Old 10-21-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Why is everyone saying that the hyperloop project has started construction? The WaPo article doesn't say that at all. Is there some other article out there that says digging has started or is everyone just misreading the same thing?
The physical digging hasn't started yet, but he already has the permit in hand to start digging under 295. I guess it would be just a matter of preparing (moving in big heavy equipment) for the dig at this time before the actual dig happens. I'm sure there will be news coverage when that happens.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:31 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
According to that article about the French being first with the Hyperloop technology, California will actually be the first state to have the Hyperloop. It takes awhile for R&D, environmental impact etc. If it's to happen here, it will take about another year or two. Lord knows the US is waay behind other countries in new, rapid transportation, something never too popular with GOP governors.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
According to that article about the French being first with the Hyperloop technology, California will actually be the first state to have the Hyperloop. It takes awhile for R&D, environmental impact etc. If it's to happen here, it will take about another year or two. Lord knows the US is waay behind other countries in new, rapid transportation, something never too popular with GOP governors.
WEll, we lucked out then because Hogan is a transportation technology advocate. Here's the interesting part though. Baker, a Democrat running for governor, promised to revive the Red Line in Baltimore. Which means focus and funds would have to be taken away from the Maglev.

He'll probably reason that we already have the Hyperloop fully funded by a private entity. "Why do we need a maglev that is for the same purpose? We don't need a Hyperloop AND a Maglev. We need money for the Red Line in Baltimore and Metro in Maryland." He would probably shelve the Maglev.

In a way, that makes sense. Go with the project that yields the same results and doesn't require a ton of environmental challenges and is fully funded. Drop the maglev which is already receiving opposition and will cost us money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland