Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 02:42 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
Tanger Outlets Doesn't have any restricted access. Let me guess you've never been? Once again proving my point about people discussing PG county but have never been to any area they are discussing lol. Before you talk about school system's I suggest all of you look closely at the 2014 MD State report card on test scores, things aren't what they appear to be especially when t comes to black test scores in some of these more "affluent" and "wealthier" area's....thats all I'll say about that

I have looked at the report card. Over and ****ing over and ****ing over again. I have disaggregated the groups and analyzed that data. I have developed action plans to address specific issues within the various disaggregated cohorts and implemented those plans.

If you mean that there is a large achievement gap in every jurisdiction in the State between the various cohorts, you are correct.

You aren't paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 03:04 PM

469 posts, read 550,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I have looked at the report card. Over and ****ing over and ****ing over again. I have disaggregated the groups and analyzed that data. I have developed action plans to address specific issues within the various disaggregated cohorts and implemented those plans.

If you mean that there is a large achievement gap in every jurisdiction in the State between the various cohorts, you are correct.

You aren't paying attention.
Nope u aren't...anytime black kids in Perrywood and Glendale elementary in PG county are graduating elementary with 88-92 percent of the kid being proficient in math & reading and black kids at the affluent chevy chase elementary in MOCO are barley at 50 percent when they graduate tells me something about what jurisdiction are actually TEACHING and which one's are getting by on past reputations. Had u really studied like you so claim u would have saw that black students in PG county graduate higher than the county average while blacks in Moco are graduating lower than the MOCO average....but of course you knew all of that because you know everything

P.S. I suggest u end the smugness and look again u work for PG GOVT. Not NASA

Old 02-21-2015, 03:16 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Thats good and congrats...

Wegmans would have been fine. And with that logic, Tanger Outlets having an Oxon Hill address and right down the street from Eastover would be full of ratchet crime... Yet its doing well.

Kettering moving from Landover to Largo means nothing... It still has its share of issues..

Why cant PG see benefits of Gentrification like DC?? People arent moving from DC to PG anymore in massive droves, they are bypassing it and going to Charles County, Alexandria or Woodbridge. Not to mention D&B would have security issues in place from the Shopping Center security and District 3 PG Police.
I think people are misunderstanding some of the points being made here. There are certain places that may not make sense to put a certain type of business. Places like Wegmans and Tanger Outlets work because they aren't going to attract the same people who would go to Check Cashing places or Title Loans or a local liquor store. So it wouldn't make sense to expect the same type of crime, but at the same time, these newer developments are also planned better, have better security and so the results are different. But if you don't plan correctly or try to attract the right clientele, then a development that has higher quality can fail. That is what went wrong with the BLVD and Landover Mall too. They attracted the wrong crowds and didn't have adequate preventive measures.

And let's also correct something. This is not gentrification. Building places like this could eventually lead to gentrification, but putting a D&B isn't going to change the demographics of the area because there is no one that lives near it.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I think people are misunderstanding some of the points being made here. There are certain places that may not make sense to put a certain type of business. Places like Wegmans and Tanger Outlets work because they aren't going to attract the same people who would go to Check Cashing places or Title Loans or a local liquor store. So it wouldn't make sense to expect the same type of crime, but at the same time, these newer developments are also planned better, have better security and so the results are different. But if you don't plan correctly or try to attract the right clientele, then a development that has higher quality can fail. That is what went wrong with the BLVD and Landover Mall too. They attracted the wrong crowds and didn't have adequate preventive measures.

And let's also correct something. This is not gentrification. Building places like this could eventually lead to gentrification, but putting a D&B isn't going to change the demographics of the area because there is no one that lives near it.
I have no problem with what ur saying...if ur saying the business itsself is a problem because it attract negative people, but I didn't realize that Dave & Busters reputation was that of a rachet place. I went to the one in MOCO YEARS AGO and it wasn't Rachet just children/teens and parents...I guess it has changed? If this were being built in Silver Spring would u make the same argument about the patrons? Because I feel the people (none of whom know the actually area) commenting on this place somehow being ghetto are beyond idiotic and misinformed

Old 02-21-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with what ur saying...if ur saying the business itsself is a problem because it attract negative people, but I didn't realize that Dave & Busters reputation was that of a rachet place. I went to the one in MOCO YEARS AGO and it wasn't Rachet just children/teens and parents...I guess it has changed? If this were being built in Silver Spring would u make the same argument about the patrons? Because I feel the people (none of whom know the actually area) commenting on this place somehow being ghetto are beyond idiotic and misinformed
Anecdotal evidence? How does this prove anything?

Old 02-21-2015, 04:15 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Nope u aren't...anytime black kids in Perrywood and Glendale elementary in PG county are graduating elementary with 88-92 percent of the kid being proficient in math & reading and black kids at the affluent chevy chase elementary in MOCO are barley at 50 percent when they graduate tells me something about what jurisdiction are actually TEACHING and which one's are getting by on past reputations. Had u really studied like you so claim u would have saw that black students in PG county graduate higher than the county average while blacks in Moco are graduating lower than the MOCO average....but of course you knew all of that because you know everything

P.S. I suggest u end the smugness and look again u work for PG GOVT. Not NASA
You highlighted two, just two schools. You're correct, they're doing well.

Yet, yet, Prince George's County Public Schools are still number 2. From the bottom. Where they always have been. Even when the system and the County was overwhelmingly White.

You can like it or dislike it, doesn't matter. At the end of the day when companies are being recruited to relocate the school system is looked at.

I don't work for PG government. I actually just retired from working for the Magic White Man in charge of the school system. I imagine he'll be leaving since there's an opening in Montgomery. That would make the 12th or 13th Superintendent in the last 30 or so years. In the time Weast was in Montgomery PG has 5 or 6 Superintendents. One of whom spent time in federal prison and another whose relationship with the School Board was so toxic that the Board was abolished. The replacement Board then found out that woman actually was impossible to work with.

That all speaks to stability.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:17 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post

So that million dollar Westphailia Project doesnt count??? Or the residential development of Woodmore Town Center?? both are close to the site.

The BLVD went bust due to multiple things... Metro being built there, the Recession, etc. but in reality nobody really lived by the BLVD. 2 apartment buildings that were built after the mall opened...Landover Mall was just failing due to the building of those apartments right across from it and increasing crime in nearby Palmer Park.

I get what your saying, but you would be surprised who goes to Check cashing places and get title loans.. all demographics go to one...

Old 02-21-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
So that million dollar Westphailia Project doesnt count??? Or the residential development of Woodmore Town Center?? both are close to the site.

The BLVD went bust due to multiple things... Metro being built there, the Recession, etc. but in reality nobody really lived by the BLVD. 2 apartment buildings that were built after the mall opened...Landover Mall was just failing due to the building of those apartments right across from it and increasing crime in nearby Palmer Park.

I get what your saying, but you would be surprised who goes to Check cashing places and get title loans.. all demographics go to one...
So you believe property value is going to change for those places because of a D&B? I'm not sure I understand your point. People are more than likely moving to those places because of what those subdivisions offer, otherwise why even move there? I'm not say people won't care because they will, but I don't see how it's going to impact property value.

Yes, but where do they put those Check Cashing Places and Title Loans? All demographics may go, but which one goes more? You don't see these establishments everywhere do you?

Old 02-21-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You highlighted two, just two schools. You're correct, they're doing well.

Yet, yet, Prince George's County Public Schools are still number 2. From the bottom. Where they always have been. Even when the system and the County was overwhelmingly White.

You can like it or dislike it, doesn't matter. At the end of the day when companies are being recruited to relocate the school system is looked at.

I don't work for PG government. I actually just retired from working for the Magic White Man in charge of the school system. I imagine he'll be leaving since there's an opening in Montgomery. That would make the 12th or 13th Superintendent in the last 30 or so years. In the time Weast was in Montgomery PG has 5 or 6 Superintendents. One of whom spent time in federal prison and another whose relationship with the School Board was so toxic that the Board was abolished. The replacement Board then found out that woman actually was impossible to work with.

That all speaks to stability.
John E. Deasy left when Bill Gates came calling...no one gonna turn down Gates if he summons you. Metts simply didnt renew her contract and Hornesby was an official stand in when they eventually hired Deasy "Magic White Man" has no desire to leave PG and certainly no desire to go to MOCO from PG...those two schools I highlighted aren't the top schools in PG no where near actually which was my point. Those school rankings are a 5 &7. the Top schools in PG are schools like Heather Hills & Glenarden which are no. 2 & 3 in the state when it comes to test scores....where the "majority minority" kids actually score at the same level or higher when compared to their white and asian counterparts something YOU WONT find in affluent MOCO or Fairfax. PG is basically in the top 20 when it comes to the largest School districts in the US and is one of the Largest majority minority districts in the country thats close to 70 percent black and the rest latino, a group that historically scores lower on test results than Whites or Asians...lets not even get the House Hold income differences...Moco, Howard or Fairfax would not certainly do any better with this demographic according to test scores they aren't doing well with that demographic now...and Please MOCO residents are chasing their school board CEO out with pitch forks & knives he's better known for promoting himself and posting pics on twitter than he is actually accomplishing anything with test scores. So I'm beyond thankful for the "Magic White man" it could def be worse.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:46 PM

11 posts, read 16,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
So, what do you want first? The chicken or the egg? On one hand, people complain that the county doesn't have enough amenities to draw corporations and middle and upper income families. Then, we complain about finally getting those amenities that those very people are attracted to.

Personally, I don't care what order improvements come in. As long as they are improvements. If Dave & Busters decided to choose Columbia, there would be a comment about how PGC couldn't attract D&B. lol Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Yep. Pretty much.

#Exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland