Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 12:48 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Yep. Carrying a large amount of European products would make it more unique and appealing, in my opinion. What's the point in having a new European grocery store if all they sold were products like Cheerios, Wonder Bread, and Jiffy peanut butter? Now, do I think Lidl would actually carry more European sourced food than American, no. At least they mentioned that their produce and meats would be locally sourced. And since they haven't been in the American market, I'm not sure they will have much American sourced private label products to start. The stores will be twice to three times as large as Aldi. I'd hope that means a more diverse product mix.

I don't think it is impossible to import European dry goods to the united states on a large scale. The local world/Latino/African/Asian markets in heavily diverse areas import a lot of products from their respective continents already.

In the end, I do hope that they can differentiate themselves from your average grocer in that they provide an alternative to the monotony of American products we see every day. I traveled to France this summer and spent some time in their grocery stores and they have a lot of very good products that I'd like to see here. Comte cheese is some of the best cheese I've ever tasted. Can't find it here. At least not in your average grocery store. I'm sure if it was introduced here, more people would eat it. And Lidl could be one of the stores that brings it here.
Your question dodging is tiresome.

I asked why you believe/on what information were you basing your claim..... that Lidl's private label selection would be "effectively European" ? And you answer with the above.............which has nothing to do with the question. You're a time waster.

People can see thru that~!@#$%^&*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 12:54 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,769 times
Quote:
More info on Lidl in College Park. I hope they bring more brands from Europe. That will make it unique and a sort of destination for shoppers. I don't much care for another store with the same brands I can get just about everywhere else. I can even get Ben & Jerrys at Target Express. I think a good mix would be 20% European 30% American 50% private label which would be European effectively). People in this area shop at some of the world markets in Langley and other places and are used to international labels. This area is not North Dakota.

If the food is premium and good, it shouldn't matter where it comes from. So, a European label shouldn't matter. Besides, Trader Joe's looks for degreed individuals because they think they are more likely to try international foods. College Park has always fit that profile.

College Park is a food desert. A proposed German grocery store could change that. - The Diamondback

There seem to be seemingly contradictory statements:

Quote:
Lidl will feature "a lot of nice imports" and a fully stocked store, Wensel said, "unlike other competitors with just a limited supply."
Quote:
"Primarily we're going to have groceries that are from American suppliers, local suppliers, but specialty items like our chocolate — it's award-winning — will actually come from overseas," he said.
New Lidl grocery site plan approved by Aberdeen City Council - Baltimore Sun

College Park is a food desert. A proposed German grocery store could change that. - The Diamondback

About 80% of the products will be private label and 20% national brands. I guess that Lidl will not have many name brand products from Europe, maybe a few like Ritter Sport or products from Storck (Toffifee, Werthers) or Haribo? I would also think that the vast majority of the core range private label items will be made in the U.S. At least in the long-run. In the first few years it's maybe easier to source quite a few products from European suppliers. Some core range items will surely be imported from Europe. The chocolate, that was almost clear. Lidl has its own chocolate factory for basic chocolate bars and they have just one major supplier for premium chocolates. An other product, dried pasta from Italy. I could also imagine coffee and some non perishable products like cookies and candies.
It's important to distinguish between the core range items and the items that are part of the weekly changing offers. Lidl will offer a wide range of European specialties in these weekly changing offers. I even guess that the design and the names of these product ranges will be identical in Europe and the US.
Some of these weekly changing cuisines:

- Italy
- France
- Spain & Portugal
- Greece
- UK & Ireland
- Germany, Austria, Bavaria, Swiss
- Scandinavia
- Balkans
- Middle East
- Eastern Europe
- Asia
- Deluxe range for Christmas and Easter

Most of these products will be made in the specific areas. That are probably the "nice imports" from the article above.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lidl (US) will be become a serious competitor for Trader Joe's.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:44 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
It's important to distinguish between the core range items and the items that are part of the weekly changing offers. Lidl will offer a wide range of European specialties in these weekly changing offers. I even guess that the design and the names of these product ranges will be identical in Europe and the US.
Some of these weekly changing cuisines:

- Italy
- France
- Spain & Portugal
- Greece
- UK & Ireland
- Germany, Austria, Bavaria, Swiss
- Scandinavia
- Balkans
- Middle East
- Eastern Europe
- Asia
- Deluxe range for Christmas and Easter

Most of these products will be made in the specific areas. That are probably the "nice imports" from the article above.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lidl (US) will be become a serious competitor for Trader Joe's.
Coming from a foodie, I enjoy exploring new foods and tastes. Traveling to Europe certainly expanded my food palette a little.

In the end, College Park needs more grocery stores. That's most important.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Your question dodging is tiresome.

I asked why you believe/on what information were you basing your claim..... that Lidl's private label selection would be "effectively European" ? And you answer with the above.............which has nothing to do with the question. You're a time waster.

People can see thru that~!@#$%^&*
Ignore my posts then. Save you some time.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:06 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I am interested to hear your comments, since we are getting a LIDL here in a suburb of Savannah, GA.
We are a very middle class to upscale community, so I'm a bit surprised to hear LIDL described as being like Aldi's. I confess, I was hoping for some slick, upscale store with an international flair.
It is being built next to a big shiny Publix which is so popular, they are building another one 5 miles away.
I've got nothing against saving money, if the quality is there, but unless a store has customer service, I will never go there very often.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Ignore my posts then. Save you some time.
That would allow you to continue to pollute these threads with bad/false/irrational/nonsensical information for which you apparently believe you should not be held accountable.

This is a discussion forum, not your personal blog.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am interested to hear your comments, since we are getting a LIDL here in a suburb of Savannah, GA.
We are a very middle class to upscale community, so I'm a bit surprised to hear LIDL described as being like Aldi's. I confess, I was hoping for some slick, upscale store with an international flair.
It is being built next to a big shiny Publix which is so popular, they are building another one 5 miles away.
I've got nothing against saving money, if the quality is there, but unless a store has customer service, I will never go there very often.
Lidl's history and culture in Europe is as a direct competitor to Aldi, but it is moving away from that profile at a faster pace than Aldi, but is also cognizant of the need to presevere it's reputation as discounter. Many believe that because it's US stores will be about twice the size of it's EU stores or Aldi's US and EU stores that they may go for a hybrid Aldi/Trader Joe model. Aldi/TJ will have about a 2200 store and $25B advantage over them when they open. So a lot of catching up to do.

Here's a piece from this week's Irish Times looking at how they are attempting to address the customer service issue. I think they'll be better than Aldi, but don't expect a Whole Foods.

Behind the scenes at Lidl's

Old 09-23-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Yep. Carrying a large amount of European products would make it more unique and appealing, in my opinion. What's the point in having a new European grocery store if all they sold were products like Cheerios, Wonder Bread, and Jiffy peanut butter? Now, do I think Lidl would actually carry more European sourced food than American, no. At least they mentioned that their produce and meats would be locally sourced. And since they haven't been in the American market, I'm not sure they will have much American sourced private label products to start. The stores will be twice to three times as large as Aldi. I'd hope that means a more diverse product mix.

I don't think it is impossible to import European dry goods to the united states on a large scale. The local world/Latino/African/Asian markets in heavily diverse areas import a lot of products from their respective continents already.

In the end, I do hope that they can differentiate themselves from your average grocer in that they provide an alternative to the monotony of American products we see every day. I traveled to France this summer and spent some time in their grocery stores and they have a lot of very good products that I'd like to see here. Comte cheese is some of the best cheese I've ever tasted. Can't find it here. At least not in your average grocery store. I'm sure if it was introduced here, more people would eat it. And Lidl could be one of the stores that brings it here.

The Lidl concept as a whole can be described as unique to the U.S. market, but Lidl surely don't want to be a niche player. They will offer many food specialties from Europe, that's sure. No other retailer can source such products as cheap as Lidl. That's surely a competitive advantage for Lidl. The question is will they offer such food specialties as part of their permanent available core range or as a part of their weekly changing offers? I'm sure that they will offer such food specialties as a part of their weekly changing offers. Exactly like they do it in Europe. The permanent available core range will be pretty aligned to the American taste and at least in the long run overwhelmingly made in the U.S. Lidl will mark themself as an American grocer. Lidl had in many markets initial problems with their ranges, because they often were too German and not adequately adjusted to the local preferences. That maybe works in smaller markets like Lithuania, where reportedly almost 50% of the products in Lidl stores are sourced from Germany and just 20% from Lithuania itself. But that's not uncommon for smaller markets where the range of domestic food production is somewhat limited and producers often lack the economies of scale to produce as efficient as possible.

Lidl US is looking for suppliers. From their website:

Quote:
With Lidl US, you’re not just building a lasting relationship—you’re building your business. As we expand and grow, so can you.
There are many examples of former small family owned food manufacturers that have grown enormously by becoming a Lidl supplier. Some companies have increased their workforce and premises tenfold in just 10 to 15 years. I'm pretty sure that Lidl is looking for such smaller family owned manufacturer in the U.S. Stock corporations often have absurd high yield perceptions and are unfit to produce private label products.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
The Lidl concept as a whole can be described as unique to the U.S. market, but Lidl surely don't want to be a niche player. They will offer many food specialties from Europe, that's sure. No other retailer can source such products as cheap as Lidl. That's surely a competitive advantage for Lidl. The question is will they offer such food specialties as part of their permanent available core range or as a part of their weekly changing offers? I'm sure that they will offer such food specialties as a part of their weekly changing offers. Exactly like they do it in Europe. The permanent available core range will be pretty aligned to the American taste and at least in the long run overwhelmingly made in the U.S. Lidl will mark themself as an American grocer. Lidl had in many markets initial problems with their ranges, because they often were too German and not adequately adjusted to the local preferences. That maybe works in smaller markets like Lithuania, where reportedly almost 50% of the products in Lidl stores are sourced from Germany and just 20% from Lithuania itself. But that's not uncommon for smaller markets where the range of domestic food production is somewhat limited and producers often lack the economies of scale to produce as efficient as possible.

Lidl US is looking for suppliers. From their website:

There are many examples of former small family owned food manufacturers that have grown enormously by becoming a Lidl supplier. Some companies have increased their workforce and premises tenfold in just 10 to 15 years. I'm pretty sure that Lidl is looking for such smaller family owned manufacturer in the U.S. Stock corporations often have absurd high yield perceptions and are unfit to produce private label products.
Cool. Well, it will be exciting to see how it all plays out. I wish Lidl the best. Now we just need them to get built!

Old 09-23-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

In contrast to the U.S. in Germany all income groups shop at discount stores like Aldi or Lidl and in upscale grocery stores like Edeka or Rewe. I don't understand why so many Americans seem to think that people from different income groups have to shop in different kinds of grocery stores.
Are slick, upscale grocery stores with an internatonal flair resevered for middle class to upscale communities like Bluffton? I think all people should be able to shop at those grocery stores.

The new Lidl stores are in my opinion sleeker than a Publix and the "exotic" food specialties give the Lidl stores something like an international flair The Lidl stores are surely more upscale than Aldi stores but that doesn't make Lidl stores upscale in my opinion. They have a suitable store design for a low cost grocery chain, that's it.
Publix doesn't seem either sleek nor upscale. It seems to be just a very expensive warehouse type grocery store. The appearance of a big box discounter in Eastern Europe seems more upscale than a Publix. But from what I have heard, Publix has nice employees and outstanding customer service.
If you need a bagging service, someone who carries your bags to your car or countless shop assistants around you that will ask you whether everything is ok, than you shouldn't shop at Lidl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland