Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:50 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisNameTaken View Post
but from what I observed growing up most of the people who had housing vouchers lived in separate communities from those who did not.
The current thinking in Montgomery County is that people with vouchers should be integrated into "regular neighborhoods". I had read that MoCo requires landlords to accept voucher, but I can't confirm that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 06:21 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The current thinking in Montgomery County is that people with vouchers should be integrated into "regular neighborhoods". I had read that MoCo requires landlords to accept voucher, but I can't confirm that.
I've never understood how its fair to allow low income people to live in the same neighborhoods as high income people. The entire reason you work hard and make lots of money is so you don't have to live around the low class.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:29 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I've never understood how its fair to allow low income people to live in the same neighborhoods as high income people. The entire reason you work hard and make lots of money is so you don't have to live around the low class.
I can't figure out which emoji fits best, so I guess I'll just have to use all of them:

Surely you're just trolling. Or you seriously think the purpose of life is to make money and people born into poverty are inherently worse than you and don't deserve a similar quality of life. Either way, I feel silly for responding. And - in case you're just clueless - you should read about the history of poverty in America and see why concentration of said poverty isn't a good (or fair) thing.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:04 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
I can't figure out which emoji fits best, so I guess I'll just have to use all of them:

Surely you're just trolling. Or you seriously think the purpose of life is to make money and people born into poverty are inherently worse than you and don't deserve a similar quality of life. Either way, I feel silly for responding. And - in case you're just clueless - you should read about the history of poverty in America and see why concentration of said poverty isn't a good (or fair) thing.
Blame our educational system. One that glosses over or completely omits the real history of the United States and the causes and origins of race and class inequalities. This generation has been born into a bubble and they are quite happy in it. Ignorance is bliss?

Old 01-12-2016, 11:44 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Oh my goodness, tho thread is this many pages?
The entire preemie of the original post is so wrong and off base you'd think it'd be a non-starter.

1) IF Silver Spring were "immune" to gentrification the last 10 years wouldn't have happened. So that part of hat the OP said is just plain wrong -- and ignorant.

2) The "same people" living there and being described as "ghetto" is also absolutely wrong.

Wheaton hasn't changed as much as Silver Spring. But to say what the OP did about that area is also just flat out wrong.

Bufflove, regarding the OP's comment" :I've never understood how its fair to allow low income people to live in the same neighborhoods as high income people."……

I admit -- if I can afford to live in Potomac or Bethesda, or Chevy Chase or Ashton or Arlington -- or hell -- even Hyattsville, or College Park -- uh NO I don't' want Section 8 housing in my area. I'll never forget a "60 Minutes" piece I saw YEARS ago about, people in an affluent area, being upset that a developer was putting "affordable housing" in their neighborhood -- and the government was moving in people that were practically Section 8. Is EVERYONE on Section 8 low class or loud, or ghetto or a criminal? Of course not. BUT if I've got a half million dollar house -- or even a 250K house…uh, no I don't want people in the neighborhood who can't afford to BUY in the neighborhood…you can't AFFORD to be there? Sorry. Live where you can AFFORD to live. The people in the affluent area bought there they did because the could afford to, You can't afford there….live where you can afford. No one has the right to live in a given area if they can't AFFORD that area. OR I suppose the government should subsidize me so I could live in Potomac?

Last edited by selhars; 01-12-2016 at 11:56 AM..

Old 01-12-2016, 12:31 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Oh my goodness, tho thread is this many pages?
The entire preemie of the original post is so wrong and off base you'd think it'd be a non-starter.

1) IF Silver Spring were "immune" to gentrification the last 10 years wouldn't have happened. So that part of hat the OP said is just plain wrong -- and ignorant.

2) The "same people" living there and being described as "ghetto" is also absolutely wrong.

Wheaton hasn't changed as much as Silver Spring. But to say what the OP did about that area is also just flat out wrong.

Bufflove, regarding the OP's comment" :I've never understood how its fair to allow low income people to live in the same neighborhoods as high income people."……

I admit -- if I can afford to live in Potomac or Bethesda, or Chevy Chase or Ashton or Arlington -- or hell -- even Hyattsville, or College Park -- uh NO I don't' want Section 8 housing in my area. I'll never forget a "60 Minutes" piece I saw YEARS ago about, people in an affluent area, being upset that a developer was putting "affordable housing" in their neighborhood -- and the government was moving in people that were practically Section 8. Is EVERYONE on Section 8 low class or loud, or ghetto or a criminal? Of course not. BUT if I've got a half million dollar house -- or even a 250K house…uh, no I don't want people in the neighborhood who can't afford to BUY in the neighborhood…you can't AFFORD to be there? Sorry. Live where you can AFFORD to live. The people in the affluent area bought there they did because the could afford to, You can't afford there….live where you can afford. No one has the right to live in a given area if they can't AFFORD that area. OR I suppose the government should subsidize me so I could live in Potomac?
Your post started off okay, then got a bit off-track. The purpose of affordable housing in areas that aren't affordable is not to give certain people an advantage over people that "can afford to live there." And trust me, if you have a $500k house, whatever affordable housing is built, most certainly won't be comparable. These people aren't moving into $500k homes or luxury condos.

Affordable housing was created for the most part so that low-income families weren't concentrated into single ghettos or projects. Studies have shown that when you group a large number of disenfranchised individuals and families into one place that lacks the services and amenities more wealthy neighborhoods enjoy, crime increases and persists (See Baltimore). Less crime happens when affordable housing is spread throughout the city or county where access to services and amenities can be shared by low,middle, and upper-income families.

You should watch Show Me Hero. It was an HBO miniseries based on this same argument you are making.

Quote:
Yonkers' Mayor Nick Wasicsko takes offices in 1987 and has to deal with the serious subject of the building of public housing in the white, middle class side of the town.
Show Me a Hero (TV Mini-Series 2015) - IMDb

Old 01-12-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Your post is silly and immature.

A doctor who spent a decade studying complex biology to save lives every day deserves higher pay than someone flipping burgers. This isn't a communist country. Those who contribute more to society deserve more. That is why that same doctor deserves to live in a better location than someone flipping burgers.

So yes.. if you are high income, it is not "fair" for burger flippers to be able to live in the same housing.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:13 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Your post is silly and immature.

A doctor who spent a decade studying complex biology to save lives every day deserves higher pay than someone flipping burgers. This isn't a communist country. Those who contribute more to society deserve more. That is why that same doctor deserves to live in a better location than someone flipping burgers.

So yes.. if you are high income, it is not "fair" for burger flippers to be able to live in the same housing.
...so you won't be taking my advice about educating yourself on the topic if you're confused as to why this (apparently not Communist) country now tries to not concentrate poverty in specific neighborhoods? C'est la vie. Chao!

Old 01-13-2016, 12:25 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Please don't' take any of this as argumentative. It's just discussion.
Quote:
The purpose of affordable housing in areas that aren't affordable is not to give certain people an advantage over people that "can afford to live there."
I never said it was.

Quote:
And trust me, if you have a $500k house, whatever affordable housing is built, most certainly won't be comparable. These people aren't moving into $500k homes or luxury condos.
I never said their homes WOULD be comparable
So, so far you’ve copied over my post – but responded to or made comments about things I never said.

Quote:
Affordable housing was created for the most part so that low-income families weren't concentrated into single ghettos or projects.
Low–income has nothing to do with living in single ghettos or projects. There are plenty of low-income areas that are not either of those. And whether the residents of an area have allowed there are to BECOME a ghetto or “the projects” is on THEM. When they improve their lot in life, then they can move and afford better. (Obviously I'm not talking about the 'European Jewish ghettos of WW2, where people were rounded up and MADE to live in a given area.)

Quote:
Studies have shown that when you group a large number of disenfranchised individuals and families into one place that lacks the services and amenities more wealthy neighborhoods enjoy, crime increases and persists (See Baltimore).
Oh Lord, there’s that buzz word “disenfranchised.”
Why not improve the services and amenities in that area? If an area of Baltimore or DC or Detroit gets fewer services it’s up to the people of that area to demand more. And I DON’T MEAN BY BURNING DOWN THE LOCAL CVS. The people who commit crime don't HAVE to commit crime.

PLENTY of people have been low-income or poor -- and never committed a crime to TAKE or STEAL from someone else.
And PLEASE don’t’ say they have no hope and see no other way to achieve…..

Quote:
Less crime happens when affordable housing is spread throughout the city or county where access to services and amenities can be shared by low, middle, and upper-income families.
Good. Let them building low-income housing in areas where the current residents don't object. You, for example, support that particular social philosophy, so they could build affordable housing near you. And if another area doesn't want it they they could choose your area and not the other. I'm confident there are ares where affordable housing would be welcome.

Quote:
You should watch Show Me Hero. It was an HBO miniseries based on this same argument you are making.
If I get time I might check it out. I doubt if it will change my mind. But I’ll certainly check it out.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
...so you won't be taking my advice about educating yourself on the topic if you're confused as to why this (apparently not Communist) country now tries to not concentrate poverty in specific neighborhoods? C'est la vie. Chao!
No one is talking about "trying" to concentrate poverty or anything else. I am simply saying that if you contribute more to society, then you deserve to make more money AND to live in a better place than someone making less and contributing less. This is called "fairness" in the dictionary.

If its not "fair" for one person to pay 20 dollars for a pizza while another person pays only 5 dollars for the same pizza.. then it is also not fair for burger flippers to live in the same housing as doctors.

This is called common sense and there is really no way to argue against it without sounding stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland