Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 PM

198 posts, read 926,590 times

Advertisements

I think your realtor really just wants to sell you a house. I would definitely take his/her advice regarding commute times with a grain of salt. Depending on where you are in Columbia, you might be able to make it to NIH in 45 minutes -- if you left right at 6a. Your commute to get home is going to be an hour (and maybe more on some days). I don't think it could be done in 30 minutes.

I agree with the others, Randolph Rd. has a million lights. It don't think it would be the quickest route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:40 PM

9 posts, read 46,029 times
Hum...I can now see this is not going to be as easy as I thought...this is our big concern...that we can afford to rent a house in some of the areas mentioned closer to NIH but will not be able to afford to buy one if we so choose...I am also a Gulf War Vet and will be looking to use my VA for a home loan...right now it caps out at 417K...not sure we can get what we want with that in mind...I have heard and read a lot of negative things about gaithersburg and germantown and to stay below randolph road to avoid crime and what not..it is always such a challenge moving somewhere and knowing very little about the area...thanks emsgoof for the honest time assessment from columbia to nih via the "backroads"...an hour was not what I was looking for and like many drivers lights can be a pain when you are ready to get home for the day...again appreciate everyones help! And I thought the housing market in Seattle was overpriced...reality time...

Old 02-06-2008, 08:43 PM

Kensington, What is your sense on the availability of rental houses in your neck of the woods? This is going to be tough either way cause I am trying to also accomodate my wife who is very, very close to her sister who lives in Pasadena...what about Silver Spring?? I have read some areas good, others avoid...your thoughts??

Old 02-07-2008, 08:55 PM

15,437 posts, read 25,836,709 times
The area of Gaitherburg west of Great Seneca hwy is really nice. The parts of Gaithersburg everyone talks about is closer to 355. I think Germantown also is pretty nice. Did you look at the Kentlands?

Old 02-08-2008, 03:38 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,740,640 times
I lived in the Bethesda Rockville area (North Bethesda for the purposes of marketing, I am sure). However, most of my friends lived in Germantown, Gaithersburg, Kensington, Rockville and Potomac.

Where Rockville Pike and the Beltway merge is the greatest bottleneck in that part of the city. It is worse when a high level VIP visits Bethesda Naval Hospital across the street from NIH since traffic backs up.

While you are in the transient status you should consider a rental in Kensington (but you have to pay heed to lead paint given the age of homes), Rockville (esp King Farm since they are across the street from the "Shady Grove Metro stop" - the Northernmost Metro stop of the red line that feeds into NIH), and North Bethesda. North Bethesda (depending where you live) is within walking distance to a Metro stop (Grovesnor, White Flint).

Olney is quite a drive given the numerous stoplights that it can take as long from there as Columbia (esp rain and snow or when a pedestrian is hit at a bus stop).

Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 PM

A lot of food for thought...is the commute down 97 a difficult one because of lights, traffic, or both? We are also considering areas of Silver Spring just east of 29...any thoughts on that area? We have looked at some rentals in Kensington and are also considering that area. From the different messages that I have received now I assume that living somewhere near the Metro red line and taking the train in is probably the best bet...unless i live in one of the border communities folks have already mentioned (silver spring, kensington, etc) my realtor has mentioned that the drive from Columbia would actually be on 108 to 97 to cedar lane and into NIH...she says it would take about 45 minutes on this route...again, not knowing the area or how many lights are on those roads makes it very tough for me to verify the accuracy of this...are there parts of Rockville to avoid as well if I decide to focus on that area to be near the Metro stop? Thanks to all!!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:32 PM

415 posts, read 1,961,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbasix View Post
A lot of food for thought...is the commute down 97 a difficult one because of lights, traffic, or both? We are also considering areas of Silver Spring just east of 29...any thoughts on that area? We have looked at some rentals in Kensington and are also considering that area. From the different messages that I have received now I assume that living somewhere near the Metro red line and taking the train in is probably the best bet...unless i live in one of the border communities folks have already mentioned (silver spring, kensington, etc) my realtor has mentioned that the drive from Columbia would actually be on 108 to 97 to cedar lane and into NIH...she says it would take about 45 minutes on this route...again, not knowing the area or how many lights are on those roads makes it very tough for me to verify the accuracy of this...are there parts of Rockville to avoid as well if I decide to focus on that area to be near the Metro stop? Thanks to all!!
Read the reply on the previous page I had for a route from Columbia. 45 minutes MAYBE on a good day, but more like 1 hour, and that is NOT going down 108 to 97.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 AM

We are now focusing on the Silver Spring area north of the beltway...any suggestions on neighborhoods??

Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 PM

15,437 posts, read 25,836,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbasix View Post
We are now focusing on the Silver Spring area north of the beltway...any suggestions on neighborhoods??
The area around New Hampshire and Randolph was pretty nice when I was last there.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:12 PM

629 posts, read 946,824 times
There is an express metro bus down I-270 from Lakeforest mall to the 124/270 park and ride lot to Medical Center and then on to Bethesda Station. This is a viable commuting alternative to get to NIH upcounty. You get the HOV speed and it's cheaper than the train by far. I think there is also a bus from Milestone (Germantown) to Shady Grove station.

I would think you'd be dreaming to get to Medical Center from Columbia in half an hour in rush hour but MAYBE it would be possible at 6 am. The traffic by Medical Center is very bad and will only get worse as they're moving the Walter Reed jobs there--you might benefit from coming in underground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland