Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 07:01 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times

Advertisements

I currently live in DC and may be taking a job in Kensington. With that said I've seen the rents in Silver Spring are about half what I pay currently in DC and I've heard great things about the town. Is it a vibrant place with lots of singles and things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 08:52 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
With that said I've seen the rents in Silver Spring are about half what I pay currently in DC and I've heard great things about the town. Is it a vibrant place with lots of singles and things to do?
Downtown Silver Spring, near the metro is good for singles. However, you would be driving out to the job in Kensington, as the is no good Metro access.

Suburban parts of Silver Spring, like Kemp Mill, Springbrook, etc, are family-oriented.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:21 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Downtown Silver Spring, near the metro is good for singles. However, you would be driving out to the job in Kensington, as the is no good Metro access.

Suburban parts of Silver Spring, like Kemp Mill, Springbrook, etc, are family-oriented.
Thanks. I've heard downtown is nice and my commute would be only 3.5 miles which isn't bad at all. I'm also contemplating Chevy Chase, DC should I choose to remain in DC.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:07 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Downtown Silver Spring is vibrant, but it's also not going to be mistaken for H St. or U St. I think of it as along the lines of Columbia Heights, but safer, larger, and a higher % of unique retail offerings (though downtown Silver Spring does have some generic areas, too, like its main drag of Ellsworth Drive which is dominated by your standard Chipotle, H&M, Starbucks, etc. fare).

Old 01-16-2016, 11:27 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Silver Spring has very weak and almost non-existent nightlife. So if nightlife is your thing.. I don't recommend Silver Spring.

Other than that, its a good value for the price. Overall, just know that most of Montgomery county caters to families over singles. You'll see lots of families, little kids and annoying teenagers in most areas of Montgomery county. This is why most singles move to DC or NOVA.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:40 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Silver Spring has very weak and almost non-existent nightlife. So if nightlife is your thing.. I don't recommend Silver Spring.

Other than that, its a good value for the price.
That's not true. It's certainly better than its immediate competition of Bethesda, Rockville, etc. and most DC neighborhoods, but again, it's not going to be anywhere near H St, U St, AdMo.
You've got Quarry House, Denizen's Brewery, Society, Olivia's View, Sidebar, and Urban Winery which are all top tier options for beer/whiskey/wine/cocktail bars, lounges, biergardens, and rooftops and then more generic places like McGinty's, Mix, Fire Station 1 that are basic pubs and sports bars. You also have entertainment options that exceed most neighborhoods w/multiple performance venues, theaters, etc. If OP is still in their bar-hopping years, I recommend staying in DC (or being prepared to travel into DC on Sat night), but other than that downtown Silver Spring brings plenty to the table.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:06 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
That's not true. It's certainly better than its immediate competition of Bethesda, Rockville, etc. and most DC neighborhoods, but again, it's not going to be anywhere near H St, U St, AdMo.
You've got Quarry House, Denizen's Brewery, Society, Olivia's View, Sidebar, and Urban Winery which are all top tier options for beer/whiskey/wine/cocktail bars, lounges, biergardens, and rooftops and then more generic places like McGinty's, Mix, Fire Station 1 that are basic pubs and sports bars. You also have entertainment options that exceed most neighborhoods w/multiple performance venues, theaters, etc. If OP is still in their bar-hopping years, I recommend staying in DC (or being prepared to travel into DC on Sat night), but other than that downtown Silver Spring brings plenty to the table.
I was about to write this. Night life in DT Silver Spring is in no way "dead" and it seems like new places open up somewhat frequently (The Mix, Denizens, and Urban Butcher are recent).

Sidebar and Jackies is closing though, which is a loss for the area.

With that being said Silver Spring is overall picking up. What it can use at this point is a solid Jazz club or two, and a few more smaller rock venues to compliment the Fillmore. It already has the solid mix of good bars, resturants, a theater, movie theaters, and a large venue. Truth be told the very fact we are saying the only place better in the area are DC's three best nightlife areas, is saying a great deal of how much Silver Spring kind of grew up in this regard. Considering that more is set to come into the area, it is likely to continue.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:01 PM

1,982 posts, read 973,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

I agree with this post. I lived in downtown Silver Spring for nearly 3 years. It's cheaper than DC, close to a lot of stores, shopping, public transportation, the interstate, etc. I felt relatively safe living there. There are still bars, restaurants, and places to go in the area. My recommendation is to live west of Wayne Ave. This is the newer, built up part of town. If you travel east, the neighborhood is not as nice, and I would not want to be caught there after dark.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:29 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
With regards to Kemp Mill, and Springbrook. If it's not in the census designated place, it's not in Silver Spring, and that includes these two places. No matter what arbitrary decision the postal authority made that falls outside of the CDP boundaries. These are to far outside of the beltway, and I do not consider them part of Silver Spring. They are eastern Montgomery County. Same goes for Wheaton, Glenmont, and any other area with a Silver Spring address that is outside the beltway. The postal authority was lazy about addresses, I am not going to reinforce that.

The OP is clearly asking about the census designated place, downtown Silver Spring. Not the far flung parts that should not even be called Silver Spring.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:34 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post

Other than that, its a good value for the price. Overall, just know that most of Montgomery county caters to families over singles. You'll see lots of families, little kids and annoying teenagers in most areas of Montgomery county. This is why most singles move to DC or NOVA.
why u still on about silver spring? where do u really live? u don’t even live here so go back to ur hole and hide. cuz u got nothing to contribute here. and if u going to talk about moco so much you should be accurate about one thing its just your opinions. you know that tho peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland