Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

I cross the Woodrow everyday into VA and back. Going home is a nightmare although during the summer it's bearable most days. Also the Feds teleworking on Mon & Fri helps matters some too.

I'm dreading when kids return back to school though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 11:32 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,528 times
traffic is fun here its like a game challenge if you can make it alive or in time you get reward of less stress. and you can count how many ppl get mad at you or honk there horn on a red light

Old 08-17-2016, 12:06 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
^^ I must admit I've tried to start leaving a bit earlier (one could argue that I was leaving too late to begin with)….
…but I'm trying to lave about 5 mins earlier than I used to so I do NOT start my day stressed….or even have any of my day stressed because of traffic. Even going to the doctor or dentist at midday….I try leave with plenty of time allowance.

By not doing that I'm really setting my own self up for agita. Who knew it was that simple….just leave earlier

The problem comes with rush hours -- when leaving 5 minutes earlier won't help any. You have to leave THREE HOURS earlier to avoid it. I DO think DC has what I call "long rush hours"…some other cities rush hours might just be 5-6:30. But hear in DC the damn rush starts at 4:30 and goes al the way to 7p. And who doesn't know that if you leave your house in the morning just 5 minutes later than you'd like -- and that's the difference between sloWING traffic, and bumper to bumper.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:52 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I think the DC rush starts around 3 pm. My practice is to try to be across the AL bridge by 3 pm.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:29 AM

512 posts, read 1,636,278 times
As much as I love the D.C. area I just couldn't do it any more. I will say from my perspective, D.C. offers an array of opportunities for employment and diversity. After traveling to various cities across the nation, I realize people were able to enjoy life more. Of course there are trade offs, but at this stage of my life the DMV is no longer my cup of tea. Every major city is going to have rush hour but lord have mercy D.C. takes the cake (only NYC and LA are worse). So to answer the OP's question yes I can't stand traffic thanks to D.C.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:13 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
As much as I love the D.C. area I just couldn't do it any more. I will say from my perspective, D.C. offers an array of opportunities for employment and diversity. After traveling to various cities across the nation, I realize people were able to enjoy life more. Of course there are trade offs, but at this stage of my life the DMV is no longer my cup of tea. Every major city is going to have rush hour but lord have mercy D.C. takes the cake (only NYC and LA are worse). So to answer the OP's question yes I can't stand traffic thanks to D.C.
Stats may say otherwise, but it sure seems like Atlanta has worse traffic than DC. Chicago, Houston, SF, Philly, Boston, Seattle etc all seem to have very similar traffic. It all depends on your commute.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:03 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Stats may say otherwise, but it sure seems like Atlanta has worse traffic than DC. Chicago, Houston, SF, Philly, Boston, Seattle etc all seem to have very similar traffic. It all depends on your commute.
The key word is "seems". You think it's worse, but the evidence (stats) say otherwise.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:24 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Has DC area traffic driven anyone else to the point of hating it so much you never want to be in rush hour?

I live in the Bowie area and find myself with morning appointments in MontCo.
And I usually suck it up and leave waaay early, just to get there waaay early -- all for the sake of not having the travel time take twice as long as need be.

I need to be at Sibley hospital at 9:30a if I wait and leave Bowie 8:30, I'll really have to leave at 8:15. And it will still be a bumper to bumper trip.
Am I crazy for leaving at 6:15 am JUST to have a fast, no traffic drive….only to arrive HOURS early.

I know lots of people listen to books when they're stuck in traffic. But I just can't sit in traffic for an hour and a half for a trip that I know could only take 45 minutes.

What do you usually do when the choice is:
-- leave waaay early, get there away early, but avoid traffic (I usually take crosswords and magazines, or just get some more sleep to read to kill time)
-- leave at a 'normal time' but have the trip take twice as long in bumper to bumper traffic
Sounds like you might need to move.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:20 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
^^ I will when I retire and leave the state….in 9 1/2 years…..and I'm already counting the days and obsessing about it.

(NOT to derail the thread but I've been asking friends and co-workers just for fun: Which seems shorter?…
3650 days?….520 weeks? 120 months? for me oddly enough the way I FEEL that time passes it's the 3650 days or 120 months. To me, 520 weeks just seems longer. Everyone else picked 520 though. In my mind however....weeks seems to pass slower or drag -- and days fly by…...so I picked 3650 days because even though that number is higher, I can check off a day…well, every day. And the 120 months seems not that long, because 120 is really lower….a lot lower than 520 weeks, which to me sounds like forever.)

It's amazing the things a person needs to do to just get by, and take life "one day at a time isn't?"

Old 08-24-2016, 10:26 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Long time ago, when I had a 8-5 job, I would leave 15 minutes earlier and get to work about 25 minutes earlier because the traffic was lighter. I found work to be much easier if I would get there and go sit in the lunch room with a coffee before I started working. Sort of meditation to cleanse myself of the stress from traffic, so that my mind was rested before any possible stress from work itself.

Now I work out of the house but have to travel at all hours of the day when I have to go out. The above is probably one of the few positives of going to the same place every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland