Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2022, 11:26 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times

Advertisements

Maryland Today article highlighting TJ's opening and other upcoming projects.

https://today.umd.edu/grocery-shoppi...der-joes-opens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 01:17 PM

123 posts, read 76,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Nice little video of The Hub development in College Park. I like the architecture. Brick.

https://huboncampus.com/college-park/

I agree, it is actually refreshing after all the modern clean looks the other new developments have!

Maryland Today still uses "Union on Knox" as opposed to "Sterling Place". I wonder if the latter is indeed the final name.

So many developments are finishing and will be finishing soon. As apartments and retail fill up, College Park is going to feel quite different. I hope for the better!

Old 10-31-2022, 02:23 PM

206 posts, read 210,199 times
How well will the student apartments fill up? With almost 1,700 new beds delivered this fall and more than 2,600 under construction to be available for fall 2023 university classes, their is a need to house some of the many hundreds of students to whom $1,000+ a month is not affordable.

Old 10-31-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
How well will the student apartments fill up? With almost 1,700 new beds delivered this fall and more than 2,600 under construction to be available for fall 2023 university classes, their is a need to house some of the many hundreds of students to whom $1,000+ a month is not affordable.

To my untrained eye, they're building way too many expensive apartments for students, but this should be a good thing. It would be good if they didn't fill up too much and there was downwards pressure on their prices, which would then put pressure on the prices of less nice apartments (which have to be below the nicer ones).

Old 10-31-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerMD View Post
To my untrained eye, they're building way too many expensive apartments for students, but this should be a good thing. It would be good if they didn't fill up too much and there was downwards pressure on their prices, which would then put pressure on the prices of less nice apartments (which have to be below the nicer ones).
We'll see what happens when the Purple Line is finished. I think these developers are assuming that students from other universities will rent out these apartments. You have GW, American, and Georgetown students who may decide to live in College Park.

I know the student apartments across the street from Target (The Mall at PG) are open to students from all of the area universities. I know rents in DC are becoming even more unaffordable. Which may push some students out of DC.

If they fill up the College Park apartments, prices may not come down.

We'll see.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 10-31-2022 at 03:29 PM..

Old 11-01-2022, 10:10 AM

The city is thinking of providing the following ARPA funds https://www.kabircares.org/city-may-...g-arpa-grants/
Quote:
(a) $300,000 to The Hotel/Southern Management Companies
(b) $150,000 to Cambria Hotel/Southern Management Companies
(c) $350,000 to GrillMarx UMD Restaurant

I understand supporting the hotels, but what's the rationale behind giving money to a restaurant that hasn't opened yet? A $350k incentive seems enormous, and I think very uncommon for new businesses. I think there was a $50k incentive for Shop Made in Maryland, which made sense given how unique that one is.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerMD View Post
The city is thinking of providing the following ARPA funds https://www.kabircares.org/city-may-...g-arpa-grants/

I understand supporting the hotels, but what's the rationale behind giving money to a restaurant that hasn't opened yet? A $350k incentive seems enormous, and I think very uncommon for new businesses. I think there was a $50k incentive for Shop Made in Maryland, which made sense given how unique that one is.
The only thing I can think of is that GrillMarx is an existing business that was probably still hurt by the pandemic in it's other locations. And in order to open a location in College Park, they need a little help. So, GrillMarx isn't technically new in the since that it has never existed.

Perhaps the grant is the type of incentive College Park needed to attract businesses (restaurants) to the city.

Just a thought.

Personally, I think that if you don't have enough financing to open on your own, then perhaps it is not a good idea to open. But this is how the world works. Big companies look for hand outs all the time. A prime example is Amazon's HQ2 search.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:58 PM

662 posts, read 784,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
We'll see what happens when the Purple Line is finished. I think these developers are assuming that students from other universities will rent out these apartments. You have GW, American, and Georgetown students who may decide to live in College Park.

I know the student apartments across the street from Target (The Mall at PG) are open to students from all of the area universities. I know rents in DC are becoming even more unaffordable. Which may push some students out of DC.

If they fill up the College Park apartments, prices may not come down.

We'll see.

Interesting that you omitted Howard which is on the same metro line as UMD

Old 11-03-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Interesting that you omitted Howard which is on the same metro line as UMD
Not intentionally. I knew it was a given that Howard students already live in the area. I see The Herd shuttles on Adelphi RD all the time. I know a lot of Howard students that stay in Vie Towers. So yes, Howard students would be included as well.

I don't really see any other shuttles from other universities. They would be the "new" residents that may decide on College Park.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:11 AM

283 posts, read 322,886 times
What is Aviation Landing? https://twitter.com/cpcupartnership/...zKwD81OZcl3SDA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland