Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 01:33 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,571,189 times

Advertisements

This morning I read an article that Anthony Muse is going to put in a bid for county executive. Along with him, Democrats Angela D. Alsobrooks, the state’s attorney for Prince George’s, and former congresswoman Donna F. Edwards are also considering running for the post. So here is the question. Who of these three are best suited to move the county forward. Why or why not? In my opinion, it would be great to see a woman in this role but don't know much about the political record of Alsobrooks and not a fan of Donna Edwards.

Who else do you think would make a strong County Executive. Love or hate him, we've made some significant changes under the current administration. Although some of the projects that have manifested were already in progress before he came in, the perspective of the county (from business and the like) has improved a great deal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...d13_story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 02:06 PM

662 posts, read 786,342 times
Angela Alsobrooks. I am not keen on pastors in political offices.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:38 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,813,968 times
whoever it is they need to do more then sit in a office allday acting professional and they need to implement changes to the community

Old 06-27-2017, 07:23 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,595,864 times
Donna Edwards for her connections on Capitol Hill.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Donna Edwards for her connections on Capitol Hill.
Why does a county executive need connections on Capitol Hill? You need relationships in the state legislature and the governor's office.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Why does a county executive need connections on Capitol Hill? You need relationships in the state legislature and the governor's office.
Are you saying that's not a benefit? She already has state relationships. She was the state rep. THat's a given. But she also brings connections from Capitol Hill. I don't know about you, but there are a LOT of issues relating to the county where the influence on Capitol Hill is a plus. Look at the FBI, Purple Line funding, GSA leasing, federal funds for education, etc.

Those connections aren't necessary, but in my opinion, they are a plus to have. And I'm sure if she ran, that would be part of her campaign.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Are you saying that's not a benefit? She already has state relationships. She was the state rep. THat's a given. But she also brings connections from Capitol Hill. I don't know about you, but there are a LOT of issues relating to the county where the influence on Capitol Hill is a plus. Look at the FBI, Purple Line funding, GSA leasing, federal funds for education, etc.

Those connections aren't necessary, but in my opinion, they are a plus to have. And I'm sure if she ran, that would be part of her campaign.
If Mikulski couldn't get the FBI/GAO quicker while she was Senator idk what you think Edwards is going to do. She certainly doesn't have the pull or connections of Senator Mikulski. And the Senator worked her butt off to get the funding. And managing a county is very different than being a member of Congress.

Those Hill connections are not necessary. Baker didn't have them and the county has greatly progressed. Anyone can cultivate them.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
If Mikulski couldn't get the FBI/GAO quicker while she was Senator idk what you think Edwards is going to do. She certainly doesn't have the pull or connections of Senator Mikulski. And the Senator worked her butt off to get the funding. And managing a county is very different than being a member of Congress.

Those Hill connections are not necessary. Baker didn't have them and the county has greatly progressed. Anyone can cultivate them.
All I'm saying is that her Capitol Hill experience is a plus. Sure Baker cultivated those relationships, but she already has them.

No, running a county is not like being a member of Congress. I didn't say that her being a rep made her more qualified. I just said it was a plus. Hell, running a county is certainly different than being a lawyer as well Jack Johnson, Rushern Baker).

And if Barbara Mikulski ran for county exec, no one would say her years as a senator wouldn't matter would they? People would love the fact that she had seniority in Congress.

And as a rep, you also talk to business leaders, cabinet members, etc. and you know who to talk to for your state in Congress. So, how is that different from advocating for your county with those same business leaders, etc. that you talked to as a U.S.Rep?

Her Rolodex counts. That's it in a nutshell. Now what she does with it is the real question.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:00 PM

45,557 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Donna Edwards influence on Capitol Hill would be about zero. The same with Annapolis. Remember, the Legislature tried to redistrict her out of existence last time. She has, deservedly, the reputation of not playing well with others. Which is really not what you want in a County Executive (or President, for that matter).

Old 06-27-2017, 01:47 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,141 posts, read 7,610,170 times
Better question is who ya'll got for governor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland