Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

From what little I know of Gaithersburg, it seems as townhouses dominate the city much more than SFH? Is that about right?

However, from what little I've seen, they seem to be that suburban type look - i.e. surrounded by parking lots, with no business anywhere near them.

But, it sounds like this new zoning is intending to mix a lot of these altogether. Curious how that might work for generally perceived suburban type of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 07:01 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,307 times
^ Negative....

btw, just came across this, incase anybodys looking for a SFH...nice area... http://www.johnedwardsproperties.com...MC7466624.html

Last edited by tonyc; 01-12-2011 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
^ Negative....

btw, just came across this, incase anybodys looking for a SFH...nice area... 20701 Bell Bluff Rd, Gaithersburg, MD 20879 MLS# MC7466624
So, I'm still trying to figure this out. Is Montgomery Village in Gaithersburg or not? Is it considered a neighborhood in gaithersburg? Because half the properties in Montgomery Village have Gaithersburg zipcodes but are clearly in the confines of the Montgomery Border.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Here's a Gaithersburg zip code map:
//www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Gai...-Maryland.html

Looks like Montgomery Villages misses the zip codes....for the most part.

Looking at the zips though....20882 is almost up there getting close to Damascas!

20879 seems to be the one that confusingly overlaps somewhat with Montgomery Village.

20887 seems to be downtown? Maybe someone knows better than me.

20878 seems to be the one going towards more expensive-housing - i.e. North Potomac.

I'm wondering which zips the lightrail is suppose to be taking place?

Also, where is that famous 'Lakeside Mall' that seems to come up in the 'worst of Gaithersburg' threads....?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Before MV got it's own zipcode 20886, it was 20879.

LF mall is at the intersection of MV ave & Russell Ave, to MV ave and Lost Knife road, stretching right to Odendhal Ave...

Old 01-12-2011, 09:01 AM

I think there are more expensive homes in 20879, than 20878. What you don't have in 20878 is an abundance of homes priced on the lower end. See when Kettler developed MV in the 60's, he intended it to be for all income levels. That was fine back then as everyone had ownership pride.....

Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
So, I'm still trying to figure this out. Is Montgomery Village in Gaithersburg or not? Is it considered a neighborhood in gaithersburg? Because half the properties in Montgomery Village have Gaithersburg zipcodes but are clearly in the confines of the Montgomery Border.
Gaithersburg actually does have "suburbs". These are neighborhoods that have Gaithersburg addresses yet aren't in the city limits. Their address says Gaithersburg Md but the area hasn't been annexed into the city limits. Homes to the northwest use Gaithersburg addresses all the way to Germantown. Homes to the northeast use Gaithersburg addresses in Montgomery Village and East Montgomery Village. Homes to the southwest in North Potomac use Gaithersburg addresses as far as the potomac river. Homes to the southeast use Gaithersburg addresses in Derwood and Washington Grove. The amount of Gaithersburg addresses by the national postal office is over 200,000 right now. That number will double over the next decade as density changes in this area.

People who actually live in Gaithersburg just say Gaithersburg for all these areas. Most people don't know where the incorporated limits stop and begin so it's just one city to them anyway. Montgomery Village has started to be annexed into the city limits now. The next area to be annexed into the city on the north side is all the way to the lake on Montgomery Village Ave.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:18 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
From what little I know of Gaithersburg, it seems as townhouses dominate the city much more than SFH? Is that about right?

However, from what little I've seen, they seem to be that suburban type look - i.e. surrounded by parking lots, with no business anywhere near them.

But, it sounds like this new zoning is intending to mix a lot of these altogether. Curious how that might work for generally perceived suburban type of place.

Gaithersburg is divided into east and west quadrants. West Gaithersburg and East Gaithersburg are very different in their design. West Gaithersburg is everything on the west side of I-270 which is about 60% of Gaithersburg city limits. East Gaithersburg is everything on the east side of I-270 and is only about 40% of Gaithersburg city limits. The city has put a housing plan together of 50% multifamily apts/condos/25% attached multifamily housing/25% single family homes.

The east side of the city is actually going to make the most dramatic change believe it or not. The east side is mainly dominated by the 355 corridor business district and Olde Town Central Business District. This entire side of the city is scheduled for redevelopment. Realistically, 80% of this side of the city will be redeveloped into Mixed use developments. This is a Montgomery County goal to make 355 an urban ave. that will run from Bethesda to Gaithersburg. The goal is to create a Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor on 355. All the shopping center's as well as many of the townhouse and garden style apartment complexes are targeted for redevelopment.

The west side of Gaithersburg will have town homes and single family homes much of which exist there now. The west side will be designed to have mixed use town centers through out that side of town which is where the highrise/lowrise buildings will be. That is also where all 8 light rail stops will be.

***Everything in dark green in the city limits is going to be redeveloped. Everything in dark pink is going to be redeveloped also. Everything in pink is going to be annexed soon.(Crown Farm has already been annexed into city limits but doesn't show on this map)
http://gaithersblog.net/images/mp_2_08.gif (broken link)

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-12-2011 at 03:38 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 03:12 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I think Apartments are what dominate in Gaithersburg (city limits). Townhomes are in certain communities. There may be more single family houses than townhouses, but I'm not sure about that. It just seems like it to me.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 AM

11 posts, read 18,999 times
I thought Gaithersburg's suburbs are: Laytonsville, Montgomery Village, Woodfield (20882), Washington Grove (20877) Gaithersburg does have a great deal of SFH's. A lot of expensive SFH's are in 20879 - i.e. - Cypress Run (sp?) and then some in 20878 (Washington Woods, Kentlands, McDonald Chapel) Some call the Kentlands North Potomac. Its 20878 but NP is almost devoid of any commerce. School clusters are confusing. I knwo someone in Darnestown that goes to DES, LPMS, and then for high school, NW in Germantown. They are not too happy after purchasing a $500K house : ( I think schools are the most tricky in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland