Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:35 PM

19 posts, read 55,153 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am helping a friend with his relocation to Andrews Air Force Base. He's in 40's, single, no children. We are not familiar with the area and are looking at rental properties online.

I found a potential rental in Camp Springs. The listing says that it is located only three miles from Andrews.

Can anyone tell me about Camp Springs? Is the area safe? What is the area like (i.e. opportunites for cultural events, dining out, etc.)

Thank you very much for any help that you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 05:23 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Oh I forgot to tell, avoid Camp Springs. Not a good area.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:37 PM

Thank you so much! I found a really nice townhome for only $1700---I was so excited! But I'm glad to know about the area before we take the time to visit it.

We'll keep looking.

I think that we have it narrowed down to Upper Marlboro or Alexandria. Do those seem like good choices? He is looking for low-crime, close proximity to Andrews and nice opportunities for entertainment.

Thanks again!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 PM

Yeah those are good choices. Best of luck

Old 06-07-2011, 06:05 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Oh I forgot to tell, avoid Camp Springs. Not a good area.
Wait a minute Camp Springs is not a bad area. My mother lives in the Brinkley Rd/Temple Hills Rd area. It's nothing but single family homes on The folks are middle class and take care of their properties.

I only mention this because folks tend to think every area inside or near the beltway in PG is all Black,poverty stricken areas with a smattering of Hispanics, but the area still has quite a few white residents. You can't beat the proximity to the Beltway, commute into DC, or even catching the Branch Ave Metro.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Wait a minute Camp Springs is not a bad area. My mother lives in the Brinkley Rd/Temple Hills Rd area. It's nothing but single family homes on The folks are middle class and take care of their properties.

I only mention this because folks tend to think every area inside or near the beltway in PG is all Black,poverty stricken areas with a smattering of Hispanics, but the area still has quite a few white residents. You can't beat the proximity to the Beltway, commute into DC, or even catching the Branch Ave Metro.
I've always known the Brinkley Road/Temple Hills Road area to be Temple Hills not Camp Springs. I'm talking about near Branch Avenue, Auth Road as the Camp Springs area. That area has been sketchy for a while. I work in Suitland which of course shares the same zip code as Camp Springs and I've had co-workers that have told me stories of why they moved from that area. I also used to visit my family that lived over there near St. Phillips and witnessed that area declining for a while. There are some not so savory places there like The Courts of Camp Springs. Not to mention the Branch Avenue Metro station is among the most dangerous. I don't care how nice those townhomes are, they have done nothing to fix the crime over there.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 PM

Thank you very much for your help!!

Old 06-08-2011, 03:08 AM

449 posts, read 1,175,838 times
Thoe condos right by the Branch Ave metro are pretty decent. I had a friend that lived over there.

Other places in Camp Springs aren't the best though. Andrews Village & Andrews Manor are some shady neighborhoods.

There are some decent neighborhoods in Camp Springs with older model houses, but you'll still run into issues there from time to time

Old 06-09-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I've always known the Brinkley Road/Temple Hills Road area to be Temple Hills not Camp Springs. I'm talking about near Branch Avenue, Auth Road as the Camp Springs area. That area has been sketchy for a while. I work in Suitland which of course shares the same zip code as Camp Springs and I've had co-workers that have told me stories of why they moved from that area. I also used to visit my family that lived over there near St. Phillips and witnessed that area declining for a while. There are some not so savory places there like The Courts of Camp Springs. Not to mention the Branch Avenue Metro station is among the most dangerous. I don't care how nice those townhomes are, they have done nothing to fix the crime over there.
You're correct but the area my mom lives in is also called Camp Springs as well. Camp Springs incorporates Temple Hills and Suitland.

The specific areas or developments that you mentioned are not that nice. The apartments near Branch Ave are a little over priced and has mixed to negative reviews on apartment ratings.

Camp Springs, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-09-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
Thoe condos right by the Branch Ave metro are pretty decent. I had a friend that lived over there.

Other places in Camp Springs aren't the best though. Andrews Village & Andrews Manor are some shady neighborhoods.

There are some decent neighborhoods in Camp Springs with older model houses, but you'll still run into issues there from time to time
Yeah a few years ago a couple houses down a neighbor kid got it in his head to rob his neighbor. He ended up killing him. He was in his 50s and left a wife and children.

Some of these kids go to Crossland and get mixed up with the wrong crowd. You have to be wary of wannabes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland