Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 10:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,239 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband and I are anticipating moving to Montgomery CO or NOVA from Chicago. I will be working in Bethesda and my husband in DC. Our income will be between 90-100k. We are looking to rent a 3 bdr townhome, in a decent area with decent schools. I have read most of the blogs on this site about the two areas, but still cannot get a good read on which county would be better for us. I visited a couple of weeks ago, and I did not get to see Montgomery county, but did see PG county (which we are not interested in) and NOVA which was nice. If someone with knowledge of both NOVA and Montgomery county could comment we would greatly appreciate it. We are looking for:

Family oriented neighborhood, with decent rental options

Good schools (they dont have to be number one in the nation our children are still very small 3 and 8 months)

And if me and the hubby need to get out and have a nice dinner and drinks we are not stuck in the boondocks with no sign of life in sight!

No long commutes to work.

In chicago we have very good restaurants and places to have drinks and listen to good music, and we dont want to lose out on that, but we are in a area where we send our 3 year old to private school.

We just want to live in a middle to upper middle class community where it is not only family friendly but we can still enjoy ourselves.

It seems as though I cannot get this for less than $1600? So what do you think MoCo or NOVA

Any solid suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelife1 View Post
That means Montgoery County since you said work is in Bethesda or DC. All of the rest of the things you listed can be found in Montgoery county, so there's your answer.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
[quote=livelife1;6289029]

Based on this alone, you will want to stick to the southern portion of MoCo. If you've read the other posts about the area you are aware that traffic is horrendous. Not sure there is such a thing as a short commute in the DC area, just b/c of the overcongestion and lack of good roads.

Southern MoCo has good schools, tons of shopping/restaurants, but extremely expensive also. Not sure what you could get for just $1600 a month.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 AM

8 posts, read 27,490 times
Both areas have simliar pricing (montgomery country may be a little lower) but the traffic in VA is horrible. Montgomery country has one of the best school systems. check out best schools systems in the US you should see it somewhere at the top.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:35 AM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Based on your preferences, it is obvious Montgomery County is where you should go. It's closer to Bethesda AND DC. You can get some properties with $1600/month now that the bubble has burst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland