Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:31 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,375,961 times

Advertisements

I'm french and I don't know DC very well, but maybe I'll live and work there (love the USA) but I'm a little bit scared because the murder rate is extremly high apparently.Why ? It's the entire city or just some parts of DC ?
Thank you for the explanation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 11:37 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I'm french and I don't know DC very well, but maybe I'll live and work there (love the USA) but I'm a little bit scared because the murder rate is extremly high apparently.Why ? It's the entire city or just some parts of DC ?
It's not a politically correct question, but the murders are mostly limited to some parts of DC.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:38 AM

16 posts, read 37,962 times
This is true of any city in the world - more crime in certain parts of town.

We're not all lawless here you know.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:19 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack love View Post
This is true of any city in the world - more crime in certain parts of town.

We're not all lawless here you know.

That's not exactly true. I believe Chicago has more murders per year than the entire 80,000,000 person nation of Germany..

Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,216,056 times
Quote:
Umm are you looking at the murder rate in 1991? Or 2010? Because DC doesn't have a high murder rate at all. About 130 murders last year which was better than most cities.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Umm are you looking at the murder rate in 1991? Or 2010? Because DC doesn't have a high murder rate at all. About 130 murders last year which was better than most cities.
By European standards, DC is quite the murder capital. There are a lot more property crimes in Europe than in most American cities, but when it comes to violent crimes, it's not even close.

To the original poster: I think something like 80% of the murders in Washington occur in 20% of the city, and it is not a part of the city that you are likely to spend much time in. Even though the overall statistics might be somewhat frightening, you have a lot less to worry about than you might think.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:41 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,375,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
In accordance to the FBI, in 2009 the murder rate was twice the Louisiana murder rate, but Detroit is much higher.So I suppose DC is pretty dangerous, but I guess it's not everywhere in the city.
I don't understand this high crime rate, DC seems a very rich city with many college graduates and it's the capital, the public safety should be better.
I can understand why for Detroit, but not DC.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:07 PM

741 posts, read 2,781,445 times
Quote:
In accordance to the FBI, in 2009 the murder rate was twice the Louisiana murder rate, but Detroit is much higher.So I suppose DC is pretty dangerous, but I guess it's not everywhere in the city.
I don't understand this high crime rate, DC seems a very rich city with many college graduates and it's the capital, the public safety should be better.

There are really 2 DCs, one is the intellectual hub filled with vibrancy people, locals are part of this, many are from all over the US and never grew up here, many are also from the good schools here, many also like yourself come from all over the world.

The other DC is a legacy of limited job opportunity, bad schools, creating a divergent contrast, and the crime that plagues those areas, that can sometimes trickle into other areas and the suburbs.

Is this place dangerous... hardly.. it's all relative. Then again we haven't had riots in a long time like they did in Clichy-sous-Bois...

You're not going to be in fear of your life here, use your head and you'll be fine.

Detroit which has always had trouble has been seriously hurt by the bad economy specificaly the manufacturing and auto industry which has TOTALY collapsed. They are hurting... BAD... DC in many ways because of the federal government has been very recession proof. People come here cause this is where the jobs are and they are good paying (along with other reasons.).

Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
By European standards, DC is quite the murder capital. There are a lot more property crimes in Europe than in most American cities, but when it comes to violent crimes, it's not even close.
That's not my point. There are A LOT more cities in America that are worse than DC now. It's down to the point of any other city in the US.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Why would you compare a large urban city to a state? That doesn't even make sense. Might as well look at all of Northern Virginia too then to make it fair. New Orleans in in LA and is far worse than DC. That's a fair comparison, not the whole state.

This was just in the paper today since there have been a few murders lately:
As of the beginning of the month, with the year three-quarters over, 94 homicides had been reported in the District, compared with 102 at the same time last year. If we stay on pace, 120-125 murders isn't out of the ordinary for most cities this size in the country.

So does America have a problem? Sure. Does DC compared to most major cities?(Philly, Detroit, NOLA, Chicago, etc.) Not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC