Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 7,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming95 View Post
i hope he has secured the job before he commits to an area. Unless he is making a regional departmental transfer this could be an issue. I don't think white house security takes random walk up candidates.

May i ask why mom is posting for information for a grown man and his wife? This could pose a problem if they move into the district-there are helicopter restrictions in dc.

+1000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,762,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
To be quite frank, I think that budget is quite low if you want to live close in, near metro, and in a safe area. I guess there may be a one bedroom or efficiency in that price range.

I am going to recommend a few Virginia neighborhoods that you may want to take a look at:
Huntington (Alexandria), Kingstowne (Fairfax), Rosemont (Alexandria), and parts of Springfield/Franconia around the metro. If you take the metro or the bus, the commutes from those neighborhoods are roughly about 35-50 minutes. It can take longer due to weather, metro delay, or just a bad commuting day here.

I do like Pentagon City and Crystal City alot. If they see something in that price range, snap it up.
I think the Logan Circle suggestion was a good one. Walking to your job site is really the best commute of them all. There are new buildings in SW DC near the stadium that look really nice as well. In DC, I would look at Logan Circle, Woodley Park, or SW stadium area.
What's the budget you need for somewhere near the chinatown in a nice place or off of 14th street?

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,585,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
What's the budget you need for somewhere near the chinatown in a nice place or off of 14th street?

Thanks.
Well, the Chinatown/Penn Quarter area residences are almost all high-end condos and apartments in new buildings. Expect to pay an arm-and-a-leg for anything there ($2200-$2400 for a 1 BR wouldn't be exceptional).

Not entirely certain where along 14th Street you're referring, as it stretches from the Mall/downtown north through Logan, U Street and Columbia Heights, and up to the Brightwood area. That's a huge disparity among neighborhoods, and the price for an apartment in them is going to vary substantially. You can probably find an unrenovated 1 BR in Columbia Heights/Brightwood for around $1k or so; Logan Circle/U Street will be more expensive, venturing into Chinatown/PQ prices for new construction.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM

246 posts, read 590,984 times
I would stick to VA or MD. I don't see why you would want to deal with DC prices and/or what you would have to give up to afford something (size, safety, convenience...) if you were a homebody.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:08 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,762,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well, the Chinatown/Penn Quarter area residences are almost all high-end condos and apartments in new buildings. Expect to pay an arm-and-a-leg for anything there ($2200-$2400 for a 1 BR wouldn't be exceptional).

Not entirely certain where along 14th Street you're referring, as it stretches from the Mall/downtown north through Logan, U Street and Columbia Heights, and up to the Brightwood area. That's a huge disparity among neighborhoods, and the price for an apartment in them is going to vary substantially. You can probably find an unrenovated 1 BR in Columbia Heights/Brightwood for around $1k or so; Logan Circle/U Street will be more expensive, venturing into Chinatown/PQ prices for new construction.
I just drove on 14th street this week! I really like near the Harvard Ave/st/whatever, near the target and a movie theater and all the retail place.

What are some prices around that part?

I'm really not willing to pay $2400 for somewhere I'm not going to be all that much (due to work) but I'll settle for somewhere near of $1700 for a 1 br (hopefully near a park - which I think this location is near the Meridian Park).

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:41 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,957,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
I just drove on 14th street this week! I really like near the Harvard Ave/st/whatever, near the target and a movie theater and all the retail place.

What are some prices around that part?

I'm really not willing to pay $2400 for somewhere I'm not going to be all that much (due to work) but I'll settle for somewhere near of $1700 for a 1 br (hopefully near a park - which I think this location is near the Meridian Park).

Thanks.
The first thing you need to know about that area is that it changes dramatically from block to block. And from daytime to night time. Targetblock is all right. That is at Park Road. Harvard, on the other hand, only a block away, is housing projects that are possibly the most violent and deadly in the city.

There is a huge variety in pricing in this area. You could get a 1BR for around 1400 for an apartment in an older building. If you want one of the apartments overlooking Target, you'll pay twice that.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:41 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,164,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
The first thing you need to know about that area is that it changes dramatically from block to block. And from daytime to night time. Targetblock is all right. That is at Park Road. Harvard, on the other hand, only a block away, is housing projects that are possibly the most violent and deadly in the city.

There is a huge variety in pricing in this area. You could get a 1BR for around 1400 for an apartment in an older building. If you want one of the apartments overlooking Target, you'll pay twice that.

Those new luxury condos around the Target area go anywhere from $2K to $2200 for a 1 bedroom.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:11 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,585,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

Columbia Heights is a block-by-block neighborhood for sure, but calling the Harvard Street projects the most violent in the city is a bit of a stretch.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,743,420 times
It's really best to secure the job first, know where he'll be going, and then figure out housing from there to make sure he'll be working on the Metro and to minimize line transfers.

I concur with the others - Secret Service is one of numerous police forces that works all over this city. They aren't nearly as secret as the name might imply and very few actually work at the White House. As one example, the VP house is up Massachusetts Ave. and not very near any Metro.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 747 times
Default Burbankdrive

My son will also be uniformed SS soon in Maryland area. We really need help looking for apartment. Want to be in a good spot. He is single and doesn't mind half hour commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC