Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:02 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
I'm a single guy in his mid to late twenties who has worked in the area for about 4 years, living all of them in the Merrifield/Fairfax, VA area.I've decided to stop renting and buy a place. One condition is that my new place has to have garage parking and be a very short distance to the metro.

Aside from all the usual places around the end of the orange line, I noticed some condos near Navy Yard I could afford without a problem. And they are LUXURIOUS. I'm a sucker for good amenities. I also like going out in the city and I hate traveling via metro from Fairfax. I hear SW DC is being redeveloped and I think this might be a prime place to buy. I like the fancy building, actually being in the city, and the metro proximity.

Now my question: I heard the area is "sterile" with "not much going on". Does being near the Navy Yard metro cut down on that since I can hop elsewhere?

Most of my friends live in Fairfax and I prefer the actual diversity of Fairfax/Falls Church (Asians, Middle Eastern, White, Latino) to DC (white kids and blacks)...no offense. Plus, there are no good Vietnamese or Korean places in DC.

Any input?

PS: And no, I can't really afford any decent 1 BR's around the hotspots like Dupont and Foggy Bottom that have amenities and decent parking.
So basically you want to live in a still majority black city but really could care less for them. Why don't you stay in No. Va it seems like you'd be more comfortable there among the "diverse".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I think Navy Yard is nice, but it seems like that Waterfront project is going to get developed before they finished Navy Yard.
Current timelines have The Yards and Half Street (probably the two biggest projects around the Navy Yard) within the next five years; The Yards is currently building out apartments, and Half Street will start construction on a building replacing The Bullpen by this fall. There's a current proposal for a Whole Foods near Navy Yard (pending negotiations on whether DC will give it a tax abatement), and rumors of a Harris Teeter within The Yards down the road. It's also not far from the HT/Safeway at Potomac or Eastern Market.

The Waterfront won't go vertical for another few years, since they've just now filed their zoning approvals; it's supposed to be complete by 2020. The Yards received zoning approvals in 2004. So, I'd give Navy Yard's current plans 3-7 years to mature and Southwest Waterfront 5-10 years. That said, Navy Yard is closer to what's on Capitol Hill, Waterfront already has a supermarket, and Waterfront is closer to downtown (and Virginia), so I'd rate the two locations as almost a wash.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:16 AM

465 posts, read 928,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So basically you want to live in a still majority black city but really could care less for them. Why don't you stay in No. Va it seems like you'd be more comfortable there among the "diverse".
Demographics is a side issue. My main concern is convenience exploring more the city has to offer.

Don't care about your skin color, just your odds of robbing me.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:16 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Demographics is a side issue. My main concern is convenience exploring more the city has to offer.

Don't care about your skin color, just your odds of robbing me.
Annoying racial implications aside, being mugged is certainly a legitimate concern. However, if you're considering moving to the big city you have to realize that there's going to be greater chances of crime particular in a "transitioning" area. And as mentioned if you have a problem with black folks for whatever reason you'll have plenty of problems with a move to the District or even other parts of VA. Perhaps you should just stay in Merrifield or find a place in VA that has better commuting options to the District. Doesn't sound like you're ready to live an urban setting like the Yard or SW DC.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:27 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times
cosigning Terrance. While I have never been mugged since living here and the area is relatively quiet, there is definitely still some "hood" in this area. On one side of my complex, townhomes sell for a million dollars, on the other side is a public housing complex.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:53 PM
2dc

87 posts, read 420,098 times
Agree with the others stay in VA. Try Ballston, Virginia Square, Clarendon stops off the Orange Line. That's where all the folks who are scarred of the big bad DC move to experience "urban life"

I personally would move to SW I like it a lot. The metro is right there. You can walk to nearby Capitol Hill and because its a good investment. Things will eventually turn back around. When? IDK but the area is definitely a transition neighborhood but waayyy... better than it was before. So says my family who are DC natives. In 5 years you won't be able to afford a brick in that area so why not beat others to the punch and buy now?

PS: You can get mugged anywhere even in "safe NOVA". Just acquire some street smarts. You'll be fine.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dc View Post
Agree with the others stay in VA. Try Ballston, Virginia Square, Clarendon stops off the Orange Line. That's where all the folks who are scarred of the big bad DC move to experience "urban life"

I personally would move to SW I like it a lot. The metro is right there. You can walk to nearby Capitol Hill and because its a good investment. Things will eventually turn back around. When? IDK but the area is definitely a transition neighborhood but waayyy... better than it was before. So says my family who are DC natives. In 5 years you won't be able to afford a brick in that area so why not beat others to the punch and buy now?

PS: You can get mugged anywhere even in "safe NOVA". Just acquire some street smarts. You'll be fine.
Ballston and Clarendon are not only ridiculously expensive, they're WAY too brotastic. I bet you 90% of the tools there were bro-magnons in college.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 PM

I took the time to walk around Waterfront and Navy Yard quite a bit this weekend. Waterfront definitely had more going on but Navy Yard was pleasant, too. Lotta white kids walking their dogs. Weird being in an area not surrounded by Asians. Didn't feel unsafe at all. Saw some adorable church ladies coming out of service in blue hats and dresses near Waterfront.

How is the Waterfront/Navy Yard area at 2AM on a Friday or Saturday coming from a bar? How about the green line itself? I went on the green line once during the day to Navy Yard and it seemed there were a lot of bored teenagers horsing around and weird dudes with turbans selling oils or kool aid. Not that bad, but is late night different?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times
Quote:
I took the time to walk around Waterfront and Navy Yard quite a bit this weekend. Waterfront definitely had more going on but Navy Yard was pleasant, too. Lotta white kids walking their dogs. Weird being in an area not surrounded by Asians. Didn't feel unsafe at all. Saw some adorable church ladies coming out of service in blue hats and dresses near Waterfront.

How is the Waterfront/Navy Yard area at 2AM on a Friday or Saturday coming from a bar? How about the green line itself? I went on the green line once during the day to Navy Yard and it seemed there were a lot of bored teenagers horsing around and weird dudes with turbans selling oils or kool aid. Not that bad, but is late night different?
I have had no particular problems on the greenline late at night but it has it fair share of crazies. The crazies aren't the problem. It is the out of control teens who occasionally ruin it for everyone. I have seen three all out brawls in Chinatown. Still, those were rare.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
I have had no particular problems on the greenline late at night but it has it fair share of crazies. The crazies aren't the problem. It is the out of control teens who occasionally ruin it for everyone. I have seen three all out brawls in Chinatown. Still, those were rare.
I hear all these crazies stories about Chinatown. I've only been there about five times (all Saturday afternoons) and it seemed relatively normal. Shows what I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC