Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
I hear all these crazies stories about Chinatown. I've only been there about five times (all Saturday afternoons) and it seemed relatively normal. Shows what I know.
I been to chinatown a lot and those brawls were the exception, not the rule but still. Chinatown is a hotspot for bored, want to be tough teens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
I took the time to walk around Waterfront and Navy Yard quite a bit this weekend. Waterfront definitely had more going on but Navy Yard was pleasant, too. Lotta white kids walking their dogs. Weird being in an area not surrounded by Asians. Didn't feel unsafe at all. Saw some adorable church ladies coming out of service in blue hats and dresses near Waterfront.

How is the Waterfront/Navy Yard area at 2AM on a Friday or Saturday coming from a bar? How about the green line itself? I went on the green line once during the day to Navy Yard and it seemed there were a lot of bored teenagers horsing around and weird dudes with turbans selling oils or kool aid. Not that bad, but is late night different?
At night going towards Branch Ave you could easily be the only white person on the car. Since you are uncomfortable around black people because of a fear of being robbed. This may not be the best location. Your fear would come through and the muggers would pounce.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 PM

465 posts, read 928,495 times
I'm not white, but I think being asian might make me an even bigger target. Fair point, sir.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM

264 posts, read 457,411 times
Jokestars, as someone who insists on driving from location to location, I question your desire to live in this neighborhood.

I've lived in SW DC for several years. It's predominantly a quiet residential neighborhood with a large elderly community along with a couple of rough areas. With the exception of several novelties such as waterfront dining and the new Arena Stage, there is not much here with regards to retail and attractions. However, its location grants it exceptional accessibility to the best areas of the city, particularly for those who are big on walkability and public transportation.

As someone who appears to be highly racially minded and feels the need to drive everywhere, the NOVA suburbs would probably be much more suitable to your lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC