Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM

460 posts, read 1,021,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I personally hated Raleigh and couldn't wait to move back to the DC area. There are mean people everywhere, rude people everywhere, type A people everywhere, depressed people everywhere, etc. While there may be more concentrations of certain types of people in certain areas, the truth is no region is immune to having its own share of jerks. I always take articles like this with a grain of salt because happiness really can't be measured. It is completely subjective. Something that makes me happy could be hated by the next person, and vice versa. While I'm sure most of us would be happier employed than unemployed and earning enough money to live comfortably, after those basic needs are met there are still way too many other variables involved to make blanket statements that one city is happier than another. I'd rather gouge my own eye out with a dull, rusty spike than move back to North Carolina, but I know plenty of people who have moved there and think it's wonderful. As the old saying goes, everything isn't for everybody. We all have to find our own happiness.
Agreed!
And on a side note... I know some special people that have as close to "bare minimum" as possible.. and by all means of the word "happy".. are some of the happiest full of life people I know.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,745,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Isn't this a bit like saying that the bad boy, career criminal is completely different when he is around his mom?
No. It just means that plenty of people in this town know how to relax - maybe a little too much given how much alcohol is consumed.
Just curious - why do you hate it here so much? I've never seen an un-sarcastic post from you.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,562,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
No. It just means that plenty of people in this town know how to relax - maybe a little too much given how much alcohol is consumed.
Just curious - why do you hate it here so much? I've never seen an un-sarcastic post from you.
Hate D.C.?

How can someone hate a town that exists solely to vacuum taxpayer money by law just to hand it back to unions and corporations who can most benefit the people in charge of divvying out the cash?

Hey, at least the people of D.C. (a town whose inhabitants have gold plated job security and iron clad pensions and benefits relative to most other Americans) never lose perspective and remember that their fellow citizens are suffering right now.

UNCOVERED: Federal Government Worker "American Idle"? - Long Version and GSA Awards Ceremony - YouTube

Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,952,937 times
How in God's name can someone feel relaxed in DC unless they are raking in cash or have a rich family? My income is well above the national median income but I still feel broke despite being cheap & never going out. Happy people in DC are trust fund babies or those who are so rich they throw money at their problems. I don't know anyone who doesn't complain about work & commutes. I wish I was worth $50 million, I'd think DC was the awesomest place ever just going to shows, drinking and wandering around the zoo and other landmarks.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 AM

248 posts, read 703,158 times
Unemployment = severe depression and unhappiness in most cases.

Which is something that is just not the case in not only DC but all of the places listed in that list of happiest cities. Yes, my hometown is a much cheaper place to live in and you can get $2.50 beers downtown in a bar at 10pm on a Friday, but good luck finding the job to pay for that.

Which is why employment has a correlation with happiness. We might not all be perfect in terms of employment but we are better off than those unemployed and stuck in dead cities.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:09 PM

345 posts, read 1,018,999 times
Default You're wrong about mean people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't think rudeness is a measure of happiness. It's a measure of culture. Typically people are rude when they are in a hurry. That is because they are impatient. People don't stop to smell the roses if you will. Fast paced cities are known to be rude because of that. NYC and DC are probably the two fastest get where you are cities in the nation. It's an on to the next thing mentality. Doesn't mean people are unhappy, they are just in a hurry.
...mean people ARE unhappy people. If you're happy with yourself, at peace with yourself you'll be kind and nice to others. You can be in a hurry and not be mean. They're not synonymous.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Hate D.C.?

How can someone hate a town that exists solely to vacuum taxpayer money by law just to hand it back to unions and corporations who can most benefit the people in charge of divvying out the cash?

Hey, at least the people of D.C. (a town whose inhabitants have gold plated job security and iron clad pensions and benefits relative to most other Americans) never lose perspective and remember that their fellow citizens are suffering right now.

UNCOVERED: Federal Government Worker "American Idle"? - Long Version and GSA Awards Ceremony - YouTube
Oh. You don't live here, do you? Your perception seems to be about akin to someone in Iowa who listens to Hannity all day and has never actually been here. Very different collection of people than portrayed by propagandists from both parties. Are you sure that guy in the chair is a resident of DC? Is his office in the area? If so, he may live in Maryland or Virginia. Odds are he does.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,562,002 times
Quote:
Oh. You don't live here, do you? Your perception seems to be about akin to someone in Iowa who listens to Hannity all day and has never actually been here. Very different collection of people than portrayed by propagandists from both parties. Are you sure that guy in the chair is a resident of DC? Is his office in the area? If so, he may live in Maryland or Virginia. Odds are he does.
Are you kidding?

People who think of Washington, D.C. as that magical place of liberty and fairness they learn about in middle school can ONLY live very far away from the District.

The closer you live to 30 square miles of d0g$h1T the more intense the aroma.

The guy in the chair in the video can live anywhere in the U.S. but as a Fed his ideological home is D.C. where his smugness would be merely a drop of water falling into the D.C. ocean of vaingloriousness.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding?

People who think of Washington, D.C. as that magical place of liberty and fairness they learn about in middle school can ONLY live very far away from the District.

The closer you live to 30 square miles of d0g$h1T the more intense the aroma.

The guy in the chair in the video can live anywhere in the U.S. but as a Fed his ideological home is D.C. where his smugness would be merely a drop of water falling into the D.C. ocean of vaingloriousness.
I don't know of anyone who thinks of it as a magical place of liberty and fairness. It's a city of 620,000 people. Some of those people are really poor, most are moderately well off with middle class jobs, and some are very wealthy. It has a pretty small arts scene, very fair-weather sports fans, and a lot of beautiful architecture, parks, and neighborhoods.

I think you're confusing a government (which has staff clear around the world - only 15% work in the DC area) with a city that houses that government and trying to vent your ideology. There's a politics forum below that might be better suited for that part of DC.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,756,765 times
Quote:
There's a politics forum below that might be better suited for that part of DC.
This. Remember this is not the politics forum, there's a separate place where you can fight the fed/reps/dems/whoever.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC