Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,554,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't know of anyone who thinks of it as a magical place of liberty and fairness. It's a city of 620,000 people. Some of those people are really poor, most are moderately well off with middle class jobs, and some are very wealthy. It has a pretty small arts scene, very fair-weather sports fans, and a lot of beautiful architecture, parks, and neighborhoods.

I think you're confusing a government (which has staff clear around the world - only 15% work in the DC area) with a city that houses that government and trying to vent your ideology. There's a politics forum below that might be better suited for that part of DC.
'Skins fans are just fair weather fans?

...And you ask if I'm from D.C.?

Of course, I should not mention issues regarding the Federal government or national politics in a sub-forum about Washington, D.C.

Forgive me.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:20 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,420,892 times
how can a town full of cold, stone-faced
snobs be the happiest city? gtf!

Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 PM

27,676 posts, read 28,776,586 times
I think Washington, D.C. is middle of the road when it comes to happiness. It's a competitive, career-oriented place and the COL is high. That much is true. But at the same time the unemployment rate is low, job security is high and there are plenty of things to do for families.

Things could be worse.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:32 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,725,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
'Skins fans are just fair weather fans?

...And you ask if I'm from D.C.?

Of course, I should not mention issues regarding the Federal government or national politics in a sub-forum about Washington, D.C.

Forgive me.
Yeah yeah. I was going to throw in the inevitable "what about the Skins?" caveat. The fact that no one can ever point to any other team as having a dedicated fan base says enough.

And I asked whether you live here, not whether you're from here. Doesn't really matter where you're from to observe what I'm talking about. Just on my way home I passed tons of people playing relaxed sports, walking dogs, eating with friends and family, or just doing nothing.

Your perception of DC as nothing but cut-throat politics just doesn't ring true to what I see everyday.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,537,098 times
Happy? Of course they are happy. They are partying on the rest of the country's hard earned money.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah yeah. I was going to throw in the inevitable "what about the Skins?" caveat. The fact that no one can ever point to any other team as having a dedicated fan base says enough.

And I asked whether you live here, not whether you're from here. Doesn't really matter where you're from to observe what I'm talking about. Just on my way home I passed tons of people playing relaxed sports, walking dogs, eating with friends and family, or just doing nothing.

Your perception of DC as nothing but cut-throat politics just doesn't ring true to what I see everyday.
I'm sure if you are driving through Pyongyang you'd see tons of people playing relaxed sports, walking dogs, eating with friends and family, or just doing nothing (but, of course, those people would be the ones most connected with the privileged ruling political class of North Korea....hey, wait a minute...hmmmm )

I guess if I were a busker outside of Meskerem or just hangin' out at The Tombs all day then I wouldn't notice the Heart and Soul™ of D.C. by which I mean the lack of eye contact and clinical depression.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,725,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I'm sure if you are driving through Pyongyang you'd see tons of people playing relaxed sports, walking dogs, eating with friends and family, or just doing nothing (but, of course, those people would be the ones most connected with the privileged ruling political class of North Korea....hey, wait a minute...hmmmm )

I guess if I were a busker outside of Meskerem or just hangin' out at The Tombs all day then I wouldn't notice the Heart and Soul™ of D.C. by which I mean the lack of eye contact and clinical depression.
I'm sure all the Hispanic immigrants playing soccer are spending their days cutting back-room deals with power brokers just to make your life miserable. Maybe all the teens hanging out in Chinatown are really a secret army of fabulous covert operatives.

What magical city have you lived in that people make eye contact with and smile at every stranger they pass? Every city I've spent time in during a work day, people either sit in traffic jams staring straight ahead at the brake lights - no eye contact and looking clinically depressed - or mind their own business on the sidewalk.

Good or bad, I just don't notice any significant difference in people's behavior here. I think you're trying to draw behavioral correlation to a broader political agenda and it's not really holding up to scrutiny. I don't think it's a surprise that this is a government town with all the pros and cons that go along with that, but people choose to be happy or unhappy in whatever setting they're in.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:23 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,894,380 times
^Why bother? That guy is a one trick pony who makes the same post a thousand times over. "Blah blah I hate the government/Feds/liberals blah blah." I'm not surprised he would show up in this thread as he seems like a real happy guy.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I'm sure all the Hispanic immigrants playing soccer are spending their days cutting back-room deals with power brokers just to make your life miserable. Maybe all the teens hanging out in Chinatown are really a secret army of fabulous covert operatives.

What magical city have you lived in that people make eye contact with and smile at every stranger they pass? Every city I've spent time in during a work day, people either sit in traffic jams staring straight ahead at the brake lights - no eye contact and looking clinically depressed - or mind their own business on the sidewalk.

Good or bad, I just don't notice any significant difference in people's behavior here. I think you're trying to draw behavioral correlation to a broader political agenda and it's not really holding up to scrutiny. I don't think it's a surprise that this is a government town with all the pros and cons that go along with that, but people choose to be happy or unhappy in whatever setting they're in.
You've never been to Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, Chattanooga, Santa Fe, San Diego, Columbia (SC) or Austin obviously.

Because you've seen people do things around DC that they show in those hotel room welcome channel videos that introduce you to the city your staying in proves that D.C. is a happy place like (for example) Boulder, CO? You must work in PR.

You've also never perused threads relating to those cities either. I have trouble finding people discussing the coldness of the people in those cities on those sub-forums.

Last edited by clb10; 05-18-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
^Why bother? That guy is a one trick pony who makes the same post a thousand times over. "Blah blah I hate the government/Feds/liberals blah blah." I'm not surprised he would show up in this thread as he seems like a real happy guy.
Can you help me find the portion of the City-Data rules that says that statements in the Washington, D.C. sub-forum must be positive only feel-good propaganda?

I can't seem to find those guidelines.

Also, I've noticed tons of honest assessments (i.e. non "puff piece" propaganda) about D.C. in this forum from before I joined the board.

If I never posted again would each page of this sub-forum have at least one, daily honest review of the so-called "people" who slither around the district?

Answer: Yes

Many people post here who have lived in civilization and find themselves sentenced to D.C. for one reason or another and feel free to express their real and non-fluffy viewpoints about the town.

Live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC