Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:07 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,899,571 times

Advertisements

You must've missed my point, which had nothing to do about various negative opinions about DC and everything to do with my assessment of your posts on here with regards to Bluefly's attempt at persuading you. Which in case you missed it the first time was: why bother trying to persuade someone so entrenched in a position that apparently has more to do with politics than the city itself when that poster clearly posts about one singular topic (I hate Feds/government blah blah blahhhhh)?

Clearer now?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:39 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,737,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
You've never been to Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, Chattanooga, Santa Fe, San Diego, Columbia (SC) or Austin obviously.

Because you've seen people do things around DC that they show in those hotel room welcome channel videos that introduce you to the city your staying in proves that D.C. is a happy place like (for example) Boulder, CO? You must work in PR.

You've also never perused threads relating to those cities either. I have trouble finding people discussing the coldness of the people in those cities on those sub-forums.
I've been to all but Chattanooga on that list. I don't get your point; they're almost all second-tier size southern cities. The closest to compare, San Diego with about 2 million fewer people in the metro area (or 6 million fewer if you count Baltimore), has traffic problems with drones staring ahead like the rest of us. Of course they're not going to have the intensity of a city that's the national center of any large industry (in our case, government) like DC. Spend some time in DC peer cities like Boston, New York, Philly, San Fran, or Seattle, for example, and you'll see the same basic situation.

I'm not in PR. I'm not a liberal who loves government. I'm just a person who spends a lot of time in this city. Outside of the suburbanites rushing in and out during the work week, I simply don't see this intense coldness you describe. In fact, it's a pretty chill place to be most of the time.

Though, I can't help but point out the irony that many of the cities you listed are in states on the upper echelon of receiving federal money.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,254,313 times
Quote:
The number one problem in D.C. is sore cheeks at the end of the work day because of all of the smiling and friendliness that one encounters throughout the day.

The obvious joy that District workers display on Metro, the Beltway and just walking around downtown is infectious.

People holding doors open for each other. Courteous driving. Meaningful conversations generally free of self-absorption. Yes, that's D.C. in a nutshell. No wonder D.C. is where happiness comes to live!

The constant hum of "excuse me", "thank you" and "no, please, you first..." that one hears when dealing with the friendly people of Washington, D.C. all day reminds you of the basic kindness that an efficient, selfless city can produce.
ahaha I see what you did there!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:16 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,559,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
You must've missed my point, which had nothing to do about various negative opinions about DC and everything to do with my assessment of your posts on here with regards to Bluefly's attempt at persuading you. Which in case you missed it the first time was: why bother trying to persuade someone so entrenched in a position that apparently has more to do with politics than the city itself when that poster clearly posts about one singular topic (I hate Feds/government blah blah blahhhhh)?

Clearer now?
No, because I don't just post accurate, "non-Kool-Aid" assessments of our National Bureaucracy Headquarters. I post about other aspects of the District as well like many in this sub-forum.

It looks like you are filtering out what I've actually posted to paint a picture that isn't true.

Shame.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:36 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,559,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I've been to all but Chattanooga on that list. I don't get your point; they're almost all second-tier size southern cities. The closest to compare, San Diego with about 2 million fewer people in the metro area (or 6 million fewer if you count Baltimore), has traffic problems with drones staring ahead like the rest of us. Of course they're not going to have the intensity of a city that's the national center of any large industry (in our case, government) like DC. Spend some time in DC peer cities like Boston, New York, Philly, San Fran, or Seattle, for example, and you'll see the same basic situation.

I'm not in PR. I'm not a liberal who loves government. I'm just a person who spends a lot of time in this city. Outside of the suburbanites rushing in and out during the work week, I simply don't see this intense coldness you describe. In fact, it's a pretty chill place to be most of the time.

Though, I can't help but point out the irony that many of the cities you listed are in states on the upper echelon of receiving federal money.
"second-tier size southern cities" - arrogance

"intensity" - So rudeness is "intensity" now?

"national center" - more D.C. arrogance

"I'm not a liberal who loves government" - yeah...right

"federal money" - You mean "American citizens earnings" but I thought we were supposed to keep politics out of this? Why are you continuing along the political line which I had dropped.

"Outside of the suburbanites rushing in and out during the work week, I simply don't see this intense coldness you describe. In fact, it's a pretty chill place to be most of the time." - This has to be a joke, right?

----

No reasonable person can say that the people of San Francisco, just as one example, interact with their fellow Bay Area citizens with the classic D.C. "F--- Y--" attitude. Driving is a relative pleasure as is BART and simple customer service. Even during the extremely stressful dotcom era people in the Bay Area were relatively relaxed.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,467,877 times
Quote:
No, because I don't just post accurate, "non-Kool-Aid" assessments of our National Bureaucracy Headquarters.
Might want to check your own cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC