Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:44 PM

27,823 posts, read 28,942,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Compare the DC forum to the NC Triangle/Raleigh Durham forum. People hate it here, at least half the people who post here. It's people who post out of the goodness of their heart to others to tell them to stay out and not live a life of misery. That Triangle forum is such a cordial place compared to this one. People don't hate a low cost of living, easy traffic and friendly people that much.
Raleigh-Durham? LOL. It's nice for a little stop or drive-through on a summer day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,953,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Raleigh-Durham? LOL. It's nice for a little stop or drive-through on a summer day.
lol cute, if I lived the 1 percenter life you lived where I could "buy" fun I'd agree with you. Could you send me $50.000 for leisure, I promise I will then relate with you

Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 PM

27,823 posts, read 28,942,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari616 View Post
@Bigcitydreamer- I can understand your reasoning's, to being sick of only hearing or reading negative things about your city. I would be too! Just wanted to say that i hope my question I asked, didn't bring any negative effect to this forum.
Your thread is anything but negative. It's an honest and interesting question. Compare that to a thread like "I hate rolling thunder." This, by the way, is a huge rally of hundreds of thousands of motorcycles that converge on DC every year on Memorial Day.

Does that sound like something anybody should HATE for their city and start a thread complaining about it?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-29-2012 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,914,992 times
Quote:
During the time I've been reading this forum, I've noticed a constant barrage of negative comments about this city, the people who live here, the events that take place here, the quality of life, etc.

Not that there aren't positive threads and discussions. But it seems to me there's way more criticism about DC here than what you read about cities on other forums. It's very disproportionate to the actual reality and experience of DC.

Am I wrong?
People are pissed that the sunbelt housing economy collapsed and they have to live in a real city instead of a giant suburb where they could isolate themselves from everyone else.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 AM

108 posts, read 274,703 times
Quote:
Your thread is anything but negative. It's an honest and interesting question. Compare that to a thread like "I hate rolling thunder." This, by the way, is a huge rally of hundreds of thousands of motorcycles that converge on DC every year on Memorial Day.

Does that sound like something anybody should HATE for their city and start a thread complaining about it?
Okay, sweet . No, to me that sounds kinda fun. And when I lived in Colorado Springs, CO they had something every similar to that on Memorial Day. I liked it!

To me thats not really something you should be worried and complaining about, I would complain about something that is actually important like schools, feeding America, the government etc...

Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM

837 posts, read 1,802,401 times
Dc rocks:

* We have four seasons
* They are roughly equal in length
* Recession resilient
* Lots of companies
* Hiking within an hours drive
* Beach in 2
* Two major well served airports with direct flights galore
* International melting pot

Thpffft to them I say. This place rocks.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:27 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,746,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The mix of positive and negative posts in this sub-forum is similar to that in other forums. One difference is that this forum has a small group of thin-skinned posters who treat any criticism of DC as a personal affront, but don't really start a lot of positive threads, either.
Since you've directly accused me of this in the past, I will assume you still hold me in this select, noble group. Alas, I must remind you yet again that am not worthy of such praise to be labeled as a person so in love with their city that it's a personal affront when someone disparages it. To be so lucky...

Correcting mistaken claims and tempering broad generalizations made by people who have deeper issues with the city / economy / politics / income disparity / development patterns / whatever is not the same as being thin-skinned or denying the many negative qualities of living here. This metro area is a grind financially, professionally, and socially; it's certainly not for everyone.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:01 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,125,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Since you've directly accused me of this in the past, I will assume you still hold me in this select, noble group. Alas, I must remind you yet again that am not worthy of such praise to be labeled as a person so in love with their city that it's a personal affront when someone disparages it. To be so lucky...

Correcting mistaken claims and tempering broad generalizations made by people who have deeper issues with the city / economy / politics / income disparity / development patterns / whatever is not the same as being thin-skinned or denying the many negative qualities of living here. This metro area is a grind financially, professionally, and socially; it's certainly not for everyone.
Indeed, you sound a little down on DC livin' in this post. Cheer up, for Pete's sake, or the next cultural shift will pass you by.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,356,156 times
Quote:
The mix of positive and negative posts in this sub-forum is similar to that in other forums. One difference is that this forum has a small group of thin-skinned posters who treat any criticism of DC as a personal affront, but don't really start a lot of positive threads, either.

If you want to see how someone really boosts a city, check out BrianTH's posts on the Pittsburgh forum. Doesn't usually get all bent out of shape when someone says something negative about the city, starts lots of positive threads, and responds to criticisms with lots of factual information that reflect a deep knowledge of both economics and urban planning.
Yeah, BrianTH and others on the Pittsburgh forum are great.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,746,493 times
Quote:
Indeed, you sound a little down on DC livin' in this post. Cheer up, for Pete's sake, or the next cultural shift will pass you by.
I take the good; I take the bad but still quite enjoy life here. Just pointing out the realities. Perhaps the new academic book "The Great Inversion and the Future of the American City" will be of some interest to you. An excerpt from the description, for your reading pleasure:

Quote:
Just a couple of decades ago, we took it for granted that inner cities were the preserve of immigrants and the poor, and that suburbs were the chosen destination of those who could afford them. Today, a demographic inversion is taking place: Central cities increasingly are where the affluent want to live, while suburbs are becoming home to poorer people and those who come to America from other parts of the world. Highly educated members of the emerging millennial generation are showing a decided preference for urban life and are being joined in many places by a new class of affluent retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC