Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,894,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
the happy people don't understand
why someone would not like dc.
Like most people my happiness fluctuates due to life events, none of which really have to do the city I happen to be living in at the time. This is my point: people blaming their unhappiness on a city instead of looking in a more logical place.

Modest Mouse has a great line on this habit: And I claim I'm not excited with my life anymore. So I blame this town, this job, these friends, but the truth is it's myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:56 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,464,549 times
Quote:
^ lol i guess you would have to know
everybody's feelings of dc to fully
understand why some people are
unhappy then, huh?
No, not at all. You would have to know everyone's feelings to claim that all of DC is a "place of spectacular misery and loneliness".

If someone were to say, "I am spectacularly miserable and lonely, so I hate DC", that individual's feelings are perfectly understandable.

It's inevitable in any location that some people are not going to be happy for innumerable reasons. It goes without saying that there are going to be people unhappy with living in DC. However, there is a major difference between disagreeing with someone's individual unhappy experience, and disagreeing with a wholesale prescription of misery/loneliness in DC (for example).

Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,421,809 times
^ I get what you're saying, but
I don't have a problem with the
way the other guy said it either.
That's his opinion.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
^ I get what you're saying, but
I don't have a problem with the
way the other guy said it either.
That's his opinion.
Well, it's a fairly extreme opinion, stated as fact, and applied to the entire city, similar to other posts from various people that claim 'everyone in DC is [a hipster or yuppie/type A/etc]' or 'there are no [real people/hot women/etc] in DC'.

While those types of posts consume a lot of this forum, it really is just a handful of posters that place those types of negative blanket assessments on the city. Ultimately, they may just be subjective opinions, but I think they stray so far from any objective basis for the opinion that it's hard to take them seriously.

To your point that 'the happy people don't understand why some might not like DC'; I don't think that's what is going on here. Similarly, I don't think that people responding to the blanket complaints about DC are necessarily blindly cheerleading (not that you have accused them of that, but others have).

Moderator cut: orphaned, the troll post you were quoting was removed

Last edited by Yac; 06-08-2012 at 03:02 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 PM

352 posts, read 995,007 times
There is, in fact, an objective measure of how accurate your views are, and that is the number of Rep points and comments that people PM you anonymously. The ones I've received have all mirrored what I wrote. Apparently, people are very relieved to find out they're not the only ones who consider DC socially toxic, unfriendly, and lonely.

To all the people who disagree with me, do one thing. Go to your local Whole Foods or Starbucks. You will see rows of people sitting alone, by themselves, and staring out the window. This doesn't happen anywhere else... not even in NYC.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
There is, in fact, an objective measure of how accurate your views are, and that is the number of Rep points and comments that people PM you anonymously.
You have got to be kidding me... Do you actually believe that rep points are a measure of objectivity and accuracy?

Playing to people's base emotions, frustrations, fears is the most surefire way of getting rep points. If anyone wants do double their rep points over night, all they have to do is go to the politics forum and start saying the most inane crap they can think of.

Quote:
To all the people who disagree with me, do one thing. Go to your local Whole Foods or Starbucks. You will see rows of people sitting alone, by themselves, and staring out the window. This doesn't happen anywhere else... not even in NYC.
Yes, DC is the only place where people can be seen alone. Also, when you see someone alone in DC, they are automatically miserable and lonely. Come on.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
There is, in fact, an objective measure of how accurate your views are, and that is the number of Rep points and comments that people PM you anonymously. The ones I've received have all mirrored what I wrote. Apparently, people are very relieved to find out they're not the only ones who consider DC socially toxic, unfriendly, and lonely.

I got rep points too so I guess I win?? Oh and how are you so sure people staring out the window at Starbucks are unhappy? You're a mind reader now?

What a joke!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:01 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,262,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Playing to people's base emotions, frustrations, fears is the most surefire way of getting rep points. If anyone wants do double their rep points over night, all they have to do is go to the politics forum and start saying the most inane crap they can think of.
I'm giving you a rep for that

Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 AM

I checked out Forbes Most Miserable Cities List (I generally hate these rankings but wanted to make a point) to see if DC made the cut. Nope. I also found another list (by Gallup) where DC ranks #8 in the healthiest and happiest cities. While questionable measures were used to say the least, these types of polls paint at least something of a picture of the well-being of a place, and certainly are far better than City-Data dot com forum rep points, though I'll note I usually get some each time I respond to a lot of the craziness that gets posted here.

My point isn't that DC is super happy fun place. I know plenty of stressed out people, workaholics, and unhappy people. But that's true of everywhere I've been and or lived. It might be a little more here or there, but people are people everywhere. I stand by my earlier post that people who blame their unhappiness on their geographic location could use a dose of reality whether they live in DC or Tulsa.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,421,809 times
some people hate when you to put down
their town. they take it all personally like
you are talking about them specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC