Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,120,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I take the good; I take the bad but still quite enjoy life here. Just pointing out the realities. Perhaps the new academic book "The Great Inversion and the Future of the American City" will be of some interest to you. An excerpt from the description, for your reading pleasure:
Here I was thinking you carefully hand-picked this excerpt for me, only to find that it looks like a cut-and-paste from the one-paragraph description of this book on Amazon.com. Do you regift at Christmas, too?

In any event, the description is consistent with what I've noted previously about DC, which is that it has had a hard time retaining families even as younger and older residents consider it more desirable than their predecessors may have, and that the area's suburbs are, in a literal sense, probably more cosmopolitan than the District itself. But it has a better quality of life than many cities, or than DC itself had 25 years ago, and one could certainly do worse.

The book looks like an interesting read. Like many of us, the author used to live in DC and then moved to Virginia.

Last edited by JD984; 05-30-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,742,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Here I was thinking you carefully hand-picked this excerpt for me, only to find that it looks like a cut-and-paste from the one-paragraph description of this book on Amazon.com. Do you regift at Christmas, too?

In any event, the description is consistent with what I've noted previously about DC, which is that it has had a hard time retaining families even as younger and older residents consider it more desirable than their predecessors may have, and that the area's suburbs are, in a literal sense, probably more cosmopolitan than the District itself. But it has a better quality of life than many cities, or than DC itself had 25 years ago, and one could certainly do worse.

The book looks like an interesting read. Like many of us, the author used to live in DC and then moved to Virginia.
Haha. You have such an axe to grind with the city versus suburb issue. It's kinda cute. The book doesn't deal with just central cities but the urbanization of suburbs as well, so best to move beyond that false dichotomy and hold off claiming victory simply because a family moves from the green line in DC to the orange line in Virginia (the author lives in Arlington - not exactly Loudon County). We're all in this together and the more variety of viable lifestyle choices and housing price ranges people have, the better the region will be and the happier people will be in this area.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out now that the first wave is getting older whether DC ramps up the businesses and infrastructure fast enough to keep them. I see a whole lot of dogs and playgrounds that were desolate or nonexistent several years ago now full of kids and families to suggest they're sticking around, at least in the early phases of school.

(also - I said right in my post that it was an excerpt from the description! No false advertising )

Old 05-31-2012, 05:15 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,028,829 times
It interesting to see how hard developers are working out in the suburbs to create a "urban" environment. It's like trying to learn history by going to Disneyland.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:14 PM

999 posts, read 2,017,413 times
I see where JEB77 is coming from. Many single professional people who are renting and buying in some recently gentrified neighborhoods might NOT stick around. When you are in your 20s and early 30s, life is more fun in the city. Restaurants, bars, museums, concert halls, sport arenas and more are within a short distance by foot or public transportation. Stay out late with friends at night and still get to the office on time the next morning. That's cool.

But when you are getting married and thinking about starting a family, the perspective changes dramatically. All of a sudden, good public schools matter. The safety of you and your family matters. Having some peace and quiet outside your home matters. Living in a condo near Logan Circle ain't so cool anymore. Time to list the property and look at some charming single-family homes in Montgomery or Fairfax Counties. Oh...and you better have an automobile and add at least an hour to your commute time.

And let's face it...urban life has always appealed more to men. When a woman is not single anymore and she wants kids, she would feel more comfortable raising them in the suburbs or at least in a wealthy, safer neighborhood in Ward 3 (Upper NW). Women concerns themselves with the "nest" and the environment surrounding the home when it comes to raising children. Women vote with their feet and the married dudes have to follow the foot steps. Hello suburbia!

So as long as 20-something lawyers, architects, IT engineers, research scientists and newly-minted physicians are buying and renting in city neighborhoods, the Urban Life will never lose its appeal in DC. The local economy will remain healthy and real estate will be as expensive as ever. But sooner or later, those six-figure income people are gonna to re-evaluate their situations and think about where they want to be down the road. That might involve a move to the suburbs or away from the Washington, DC region.

Bluefly's message is that The District has something to offer to everyone and I think that is a fair statement. I would argue that if you are SINGLE, the DC urban scene has something to offer you. When you have a family, it becomes more problematic.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:04 PM

Plenty of families raising kids in places like Capitol Hill, Woodley Park, AU Park etc.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM

How long they stay continues to be a matter of considerable discussion:

D.C.’s growth is fueled by 20-somethings. Can the city grow up with them? - The Washington Post

The positive observation would be the increasing enrollment and improving performance of a number of public elementaries in DC; the flip-side is that many parents continue to exit (either DC or DCPS) when the kids hit middle school.

Last edited by JD984; 05-31-2012 at 02:09 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post

The positive observation would be the increasing enrollment and improving performance of a number of public elementaries in DC; the flip-side is that many parents continue to exit (either DC or DCPS) when the kids hit middle school.
Might have been the case 20 years ago but not today. People may move from Penn Sq to Mt Pleasant, Shepherds Park, or some other more residential neighborhood.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Might have been the case 20 years ago but not today. People may move from Penn Sq to Mt Pleasant, Shepherds Park, or some other more residential neighborhood.
Maybe; maybe not. Even as Mount Pleasant as a whole becomes more affluent, the student population at Bancroft ES continues to be much poorer than the community at large, with 70% or more of the students non-native English speakers and high poverty levels. It's unlikely the parents of those students moved to Mount Pleasant from places like Penn Quarter (if that's what you meant by "Penn Sq.").

Not trying to be negative, but the concerns about DCPS remain an issue in much of the city, just as concerns about commuting times and distances often weigh on the minds of those who work in DC and are contemplating a move outside the city. Suggesting that those concerns are a relic of the past doesn't fly. Of course, the alternative is to go private, and some do, but that's a dilemma for those who like the idea of public schools but can't satisfy themselves that the quality is there across-the-board.

Last edited by JD984; 05-31-2012 at 04:04 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 04:44 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 643,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It interesting to see how hard developers are working out in the suburbs to create a "urban" environment. It's like trying to learn history by going to Disneyland.

It is also interesting to see how hard developers in DC are working to transform an "urban" environment into a "suburban" environment.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:00 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,910,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post

It is also interesting to see how hard developers in DC are working to transform an "urban" environment into a "suburban" environment.
I saw an anti-walmart protest todayn it is good. These places hurt the local economy and destroy the atmosphere and vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC