Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:24 PM

27,823 posts, read 28,937,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What I learned from this thread, is that I'm still routinely amazed at the kinds of salaries people earn in DC.
Yes, salaries are higher in D.C. area in general compared to most other U.S. cities. The GS payscale itself goes to $155,500, for those who can make it up to there. :-)

It's a one reason I consider it smart to choose to live in this area. But other people choose to take bigger risks in a crash and burn kind of place too.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-15-2012 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,353,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, salaries are higher in D.C. area in general compared to most other U.S. cities. The GS payscale itself goes to $155,500, for those who can make it up to there. :-)

It's a one reason I consider it smart to choose to live in this area. But other people choose to take bigger risks in a crash and burn kind of place too.
Yep, those kind of salaries are simply insane.

I guess the other interesting thing is that so many in the DC area seem to be completely unable to conceive of the fact that many people MUST make do with MUCH less.

I have two MA degrees, but still never made over 55K in my life. I just wouldn't even know how to go about it, although of course, I'd love to make a lot more.

It's mind-boggling to hear of people in their 20s who can quote seemingly obscenely high salaries as their mimimums, and it's their reality to be able to attain those types of salaries.

Only in DC is right, it seems. Probably why the area is at the top of my list of cities to relocate to in the future.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:18 AM

572 posts, read 1,876,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yep, those kind of salaries are simply insane.

I guess the other interesting thing is that so many in the DC area seem to be completely unable to conceive of the fact that many people MUST make do with MUCH less.

I have two MA degrees, but still never made over 55K in my life. I just wouldn't even know how to go about it, although of course, I'd love to make a lot more.

It's mind-boggling to hear of people in their 20s who can quote seemingly obscenely high salaries as their mimimums, and it's their reality to be able to attain those types of salaries.

Only in DC is right, it seems. Probably why the area is at the top of my list of cities to relocate to in the future.
Some people are just privileged like that; or they might not call it privilege, they may say its due to hard work. But i believe what type of educational institutions, what neighborhood you grew up in, and what type of connections you have matter.

Last edited by mdiggs1; 06-16-2012 at 05:27 AM..

Old 06-16-2012, 05:29 AM

45,705 posts, read 61,117,345 times
What throws the salary numbers off in the Metro area is the cost of living, especially housing, wages follow that. People from areas with lower wages see the numbers and get their minds boggled comparing them to their area. What I make as a topped out teacher is more than a Principal makes in much of the US, and my system is known for lagging payscales and I'm waaaay under $100K.

As far as the OP's question goes, not everyone (or even really that many) live as was described. It's somewhat of a Real Housewives Of.......................... situation.

Private schools are expensive. I work with a guy who's sending his 3 kids to a very well considered Catholic school in the area. He and his wife don't make nearly the $300K that was postulated, more likely a bit more than 1/3 of if it. They made the decsion for that sacrifice because of the school system. Others will send their kids to private school, whether they can afford it or not, because that's just what their family has "always done". Know some of those folks, too.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,726,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesOnTheMove View Post
On a related topic, I'm always surprised how many people b*tch and moan about the cost of kids when they chose to have them- often more than one. The choice to have or not have children should be made, first and foremost, with finances in mind.
That is my plan and I got criticized for it.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:35 AM

85 posts, read 233,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
That is my plan and I got criticized for it.
I was thumb-upping you.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:39 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,726,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
Some people are just privileged like that; or they might not call it privilege, they may say its due to hard work. But i believe what type of educational institutions, what neighborhood you grew up in, and what type of connections you have matter.
I call bullcrap son. I grew up in a poor small country town in Mississippi and went to a small public HBCU down south. For many of us, it is hard work, focus, and discipline. My first job in DC paid 35k. Thanks to some good luck and a focus on my part, I have been able to double that in 3 years and my goal is to be at 100k by 30. Again, it require some grace from God and focus on my part but I see the path.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:20 PM

572 posts, read 1,876,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
I call bullcrap son. I grew up in a poor small country town in Mississippi and went to a small public HBCU down south. For many of us, it is hard work, focus, and discipline. My first job in DC paid 35k. Thanks to some good luck and a focus on my part, I have been able to double that in 3 years and my goal is to be at 100k by 30. Again, it require some grace from God and focus on my part but I see the path.
I knew this argument was coming. Everytime somebody mentions socioeconomic status being due to a privileged background, someone always counters with "i didn't have nothing growing up, i did this through hard work, and I made it!!"

Heartbreak Kid, i dont know you personally so I cant judge you. But people who come from unprivileged backgrounds and make it to a privileged state are the Exception, not the Rule. Even if everybody was hardworking as you say you are, there are only so many high paying jobs to go around; somebody is going to lose. And the nature of our capitalist system today is that there are a minority of winners in the economic game, and a majority of losers.

Again, im not saying you didnt put in any work to get to where you are, but that "anybody can do it" philosophy is something I dont agree with. Thats something politicians say to keep the ever increasing number of walmart workers from rebelling against the system.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 PM

27,823 posts, read 28,937,171 times
The first job I ever had paid $3.35 an hour - way back in the day when that was minimum wage.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:35 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,353,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The first job I ever had paid $3.35 an hour - way back in the day when that was minimum wage.
Same here. From 16-23 years old, I made between $3.35-3.50/hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: