Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:56 PM

34 posts, read 43,336 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Dumfries, VA, but work and go to graduate school in DC. The travel time, as well as the transportation expenses are becoming a real pain. Days I have class, I need to drive into DC, pay for parking and drive back. I also have two children so the extra time it eats up is a bummer. Like many Section 8 participants, I've found it extremely difficult to rent in the past. Correction: I've found it difficult to get a potential landlord to actually give me the time of day. Once I've done that it's usually been fairly easy convincing them to rent to me. The Section 8 rates aren't terrible (about 1900-2300 for a 3BR depending on the neighborhood). Any advice for someone considering moving but would like a safe neighborhood with decent schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 01:12 PM

115 posts, read 273,796 times
$1900-2300 for a 3BR in a safe neighborhood with decent schools doesn't exist in DC. Not trying to be mean, it just doesn't.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:50 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,994 times
In DC the only places you will find in that price range that are amenable to Section 8 are places you probably don't want your kids to live. I would cross DC off the list and look at somewhere like Alexandria. Even Springfield would be closer than Dumfries.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,413 times
Post your question in the Northern Virginia forum and the people can probably point you toward a neighborhood in NoVa closer to DC.
The above posters are correct that your budget is too low for a family in DC proper.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
In DC the only places you will find in that price range that are amenable to Section 8 are places you probably don't want your kids to live. I would cross DC off the list and look at somewhere like Alexandria. Even Springfield would be closer than Dumfries.
Do you think Arlington might be more feasible? It seems as though housing in DC is so, so expensive. The reason why I've stayed in Dumfries is because you can get a relatively large living area (4 BR 3.5 BA) for about $1600, a safe place to live and good schools. I would be willing to sacrifice on space and move into something smaller, but not at the expense of the kiddos.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Really, even at $2300? I thought that price looked astronomical when I first saw it (Mind you, I'm from upstate NY where I think the most they would pay was about...$500 and in VA it's about...1800/1900). I guess I'm just floored that for over 2K a month you still can't find something decent in the District

Old 10-17-2012, 04:05 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,413 times
For a 2BR you could find something decent in the District for $2300. Not for a 3BR though.

Of course, even if the place is decent, there is no guarantee the public schools will be decent.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Wow. I am shocked. We provide Section 8 government assistance to someone who is going to graduate school? Someone who is already educated enough to have a decent paying position? Someone who could get their graduate degree online (in the evenings), while working, saving the taxpayers' money?

I'm also shocked at the "entitlement" attitude of someone looking for a 3-bedroom. Have you children share a bedroom, like the rest of the people who don't take government assistance to live in this expensive area. Why should I be paying you to live in a $2300 apartment, when I can only afford $1500? Or $500? Ridiculous!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
I have to agree here.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 PM

44 posts, read 114,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Wow. I am shocked. We provide Section 8 government assistance to someone who is going to graduate school? Someone who is already educated enough to have a decent paying position? Someone who could get their graduate degree online (in the evenings), while working, saving the taxpayers' money?

I'm also shocked at the "entitlement" attitude of someone looking for a 3-bedroom. Have you children share a bedroom, like the rest of the people who don't take government assistance to live in this expensive area. Why should I be paying you to live in a $2300 apartment, when I can only afford $1500? Or $500? Ridiculous!

I have to agree. Your section 8 voucher is more than my mortgage. Also I can't go to grad school because my mortgage takes up too much of my monthly income. It doesn't pay to be a middle class person anymore esp in the DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC