Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 03:53 PM

17 posts, read 61,300 times

Advertisements

I'm a public school teacher wanting to relocate to Wash DC next year. I have two main questions...

1. Is it difficult to get a job teaching in DC public schools? The website mentioned a RIF (Reduction in Force) and this made me nervous. We almost RIFfed in my county and it basically means a lot of teachers losing jobs.

2. What are fun/safe areas to live? I can spend 800-1100 in rent monthly. My sister used to live in Capitol Hill and I loved it. However, I'm not sure if that's in my price range. What other areas are there in DC that are safe/fun/affordable for me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 04:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I can't comment on the job prospect issue in the District, but what I can safely say is that you will not find anything in a decent DC neighborhood for the $800/month-$1,100/month range. DC is nearly as expensive as NYC in terms of rent (which still boggles my mind as NYC just has so much more to offer in my opinion). I'm paying $1,135/month for a 1-BR apartment in Reston, a typical suburb about 20 miles outside the city in NoVA, and even then that's considered a "good deal." At a $41,000 salary I'm breaking even every month. If you wanted to live in a trendy or fun part of DC on a teacher's salary you will HAVE to get a roommate and split a 2-BR unit. I know that Fairfax County, VA has been hiring teachers as of late, so it's also a possibility to live in DC and reverse-commute out to suburbia. I have a friend who I believe started around $46,000 or $47,000 to teach in Chantilly.

Trust me, I hate the suburbs with an undying passion, and if I could have moved into DC on my salary without living in "Animal House" with a bunch of fellow 22-year-old "love to drink" Adams-Morgan-oriented roomies I gladly would have. I'm miserable living in Fairfax County, and while it may be a great place to look for a teaching opportunity I could not safely recommend anyone who is a fresh college graduate moving here if they were looking for "hip" or "fun." Nearly all of my peers head inside the Beltway for entertainment/nightlife---there's just nothing out here. I'm surrounded by SUVs, soccer moms, minivans, chain restaurants, big-box stores, strip malls, gas stations, cul-de-sacs, etc. It's an absolute nightmare to live in Fairfax County. Best of luck to you though on your impending relocation into the District. If I could have done it all over again I would have been more firm with finding an ideal roomie situation and just reverse-commuted out from the District.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:41 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
ScranBarre... when your lease is up check again for shared housing in DC. There are so many options that I'm sure you could find a place with an older, responsible roommate. I moved into a 4BR house in Mount Pleasant for $800/month. My house is definitely quiet. The owner is a 36-year-old ER doctor. I'm only 22, but with my job right now, I come home and go straight to sleep almost every day. haha When my schedule changes to working 1 day on/3 days off with the department I'm still not one to have parties every weekend. Partly because I'm not a college student, but also because I'm respectful enough to my other roommates. Then the other two that moved in later were 26 and 29 and extremely responsible.

So there are options out there in the District. You just have to look for them. It will also be easier for you now that you already live in the Metro area. I'm sure that you may have been rushed a little bit more coming from Scranton. I know I was coming from Milwaukee. I had 10 days from my job offer to make the move. So I just signed a place with a shorter lease. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the information! I'm not opposed to living with roommate, would actually prefer it. Any information about what NEIGHBORHOODS are preferable?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 31,929 times
You might want to Google "dc teacher layoff" to see what's happening right now with the schools in DC. Opportunities outside DC, as mentioned, may be more favorable.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Thanks. I had no idea that was happening right now. It's strange because I've been reading elsewhere that DC was recruiting teachers like crazy. I guess that means I'll be looking outside the district!

Old 10-06-2009, 05:03 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,309 times
The DC budget is in big trouble and the ax has begun falling hard lately in the schools arena. You can search and read specific stories on the Washington Post Web site.
Sometimes Web sites are not updated or have a political line to tow.
If you do want to try for DC hope you are prepared for a likely very challenging inner-city teaching experience, with many of the challenges from the parents and/or lack of parenting and discipline. Sorry to say that but I have heard it firsthand from someone who works in the system. If I were you I would aim more for MD or VA. VA especially has the lowest unemployment rate in the area and so you can imagine people are seeking to move there with their families.
You will likely not find your own place for 800-1100 unless it is the lower level of a house on Craigslist, although those units can be okay (but be careful about their safety in the city). I think it would be more fun in the city to share a place with a settled professional person. Surf Craigslist to get an idea of what is out there.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:58 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacityjunke View Post
Thanks for the information! I'm not opposed to living with roommate, would actually prefer it. Any information about what NEIGHBORHOODS are preferable?
Dupont Circle is typically one of the most preferred neighborhoods. It's more urban, and often described as "European". That said, it's pricey. If you have a car, it'd be difficult.

Adams Morgan is another interesting neighborhood. 18th Street has a lot of bars, which dominate on Saturday nights, but the neighborhood itself has a lot of smaller restaurants, shops, and more neighborhoody bars if you look around. I actually like it best on weeknights when it's not crowded with all the college kids and suburbanites getting wasted. Again, if you have a car that could be problematic.

U Street is also a cool neighborhood, but grittier than Dupont. There you've got a lot of eclectic places, as well as a lot of Ethiopian presence. As far as safety, it isn't bad, but just keep an eye out.

Mt. Pleasant is popular, but I don't know much about it. ffknight could help out with this one.

Capitol Hill is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. It's quieter than the others I've mentioned, but still has decent restaurants. I love Eastern Market. This area is often cheaper than some other neighborhoods like Dupont, though not by much. You could possibly find a 2-bedroom in your budget, or a room with a roommate. Having a car wouldn't be so bad here, though it's not needed.

And of course, I have to put in a little plug for my neighborhood, SW Waterfront. It's a quiet "hidden" neighborhood near the Mall, Capitol Hill, and downtown. It tends to be cheaper than other neighborhoods nearby, so you have the advantage of being nearby but paying a little less. It's also really convenient, with 4 metro lines nearby. I live north of M Street SW and have never had any problems, nor did my landlord who lived in the same building for 10 years before we moved in. The biggest downside here (for me) is that there isn't much here in terms of retail/dining. It's getting better with the development at the Waterfront station, which is supposedly going to be more or less done next year. The current Safeway is also not the best, though that will be replaced with a newer, bigger, nicer one early next year as well (March, I think?). I'd look into places north of M, as crime can get worse as you go further down. Having a car is pretty easy, but you don't need one.

There are other good neighborhoods, like Logan Circle and Columbia Heights, but I don't know them as well. Outside of the city you could look into North Arlington (Clarendon, Courthouse, Ballston), South Arlington (Pentagon City), or Alexandria. Old Town and Del Ray are both great areas in Alexandria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Trust me, I hate the suburbs with an undying passion, and if I could have moved into DC on my salary without living in "Animal House" with a bunch of fellow 22-year-old "love to drink" Adams-Morgan-oriented roomies I gladly would have.
That's a pretty harsh generalization. I've known several people who lived in group or shared housing and none of them lived like frat-boys. Most were quiet, often had roommates with interesting jobs (one had a masseuse and some sort of Whole Foods cook/tester as housemates). A lot of ads I've seen for shared houses actually ask for people who are quieter, clean, or career-driven since a lot of times the person looking is a student or otherwise busy themselves.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:55 PM

605 posts, read 2,159,890 times
For 800 to 1100, you are almost definitely looking at shared housing in DC, unless you can qualify for housing assistance. A classmate of mine is one of four people in a house in Cleveland Park where each roommate is paying $1000/month + utilities.

You are correct that we had a massive reduction in force. The schools chancelor refers to the reduction as "right sizing" as the school system has been losing students for years, but had reduced staff proportionately. Chances are that we will continue to lose children to the charter schools in coing years; until test scores go up dramatically, enrollment, and possibly staffing, will most likely fall. That said, there's always natural attrition and replacement that go on in any system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: