Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 AM

101 posts, read 182,897 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone... I apologize for adding another thread for my specific questions, but couldn't find someone with the same preferences.

My wife and I are going to be in DC during cherry blossom season. We are all in our late 20's and are looking forward to having a fun trip. Right now, we are scheduled to stay at the Mayflower, which is a little more expensive than what I'd prefer (especially once you add in parking). I was also thinking that while this may be close to the museums, I'm not sure how close it will be to nightlife should we decide to hit up the bars.

I just wanted to get folks' opinion on where is a good place to stay for 4 nights while we're visiting DC. If we're not within walking distance of the Mall, we definitely want to be very close to the metro then. We're young professionals from the midwest, so want a place that's relatively safe, but definitely want somewhere that has some fun nightlife too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
The Mayflower is pretty central. It's a historic hotel with a recent renovation to its lobby. I don't know that the rooms are all that great; you're mostly paying for the service, location and reputation. You're in easy walking distance to the Metro and to the White House. The Mall is definitely walkable too, and the museums aren't much further. Walking all of that would be a hike, but unless it's raining out it will be a nice walk filled with sightseeing.

You're stumbling distance to the nightlife on M Street and the downtown/after-work-bars. Dupont Circle, Logan Circle and their restaurants are just a 10-12 minute walk away as well. You're a quick cab ride from U Street (night life/sparse shopping), Adams Morgan (pure drinking), Georgetown (shopping/restaurants/night life/historic), Chinatown (restaurants, some bars, sports/concert venue, some cool museums). You're a $12 cab ride to Capitol Hill. If you're looking for a more unique nightlife, you can trek out to H Street NE.

So overall, I'd say it's a great location.

If you're looking for nice alternatives in that area, I would check out Donovan House, Helix or Rogue hotels. They're a little further from the metro, but they are nice boutique hotels, all run by Kimpton (good chain). Not sure if their prices are any better or if parking is included, but they're worth a look. A step down, but similarly central locations, would be the Marriott Metro Center, the JW Marriott, or the Grand Hyatt near the Metro Center Stops.

Edit: These are all safe locations, relative to the rest of the city.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM

Thank you very much for the information... it's always hard to tell how good a particular area is for restaurants/nightlife, etc., just by googling. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
Yeah, solid area/hotel. If you made no changes, you'd be set up for a good time. Enjoy, it's a fun time to visit DC.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
You can get TONS of information here Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor including visitors' reviews/ comments on sights, hotels, and restaurants of Washington.

and here Travel Forum, Discussion Board for Talk and Chat - TripAdvisor and select "district of columbia".

Also click on this site Smithsonian

Old 02-20-2013, 03:22 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,569 times
Great location, if you don't mind walking a extra 3,4 blocks JW Marriott may be somewhat more affordable.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM

798 posts, read 2,728,803 times
Are you driving to DC or flying and renting a car? If you are flying iin to DC, I would skip the car and just use metro/cabs for anyplace you can't walk to. That will save you a few dollars..

Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 AM

Thank you all for your insight... we're driving. Also, I have one more question.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bar/pub that allows 20 year-olds? My brother is in Annapolis and will be visiting us one of the nights, but won't be drinking. We're not looking for a dance-club, but just a fun place where we can socialize.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's help!

Old 03-12-2013, 03:01 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
Hmm...good question. A lot of places are 21+ and ID at the door. Most of Adam's Mogan is off limits after a certain time.

RFD in Chinatown and Meridian Pint in Columbia Heights come to mind as they're more restaurants than bars. Both have good beer selections. Comet in Chevy Chase has good beer, good pizza, and ping pong (also children, weirdly). Tonic@Quigly's Pharamcy in Foggy Bottom has decent beer and food and you can hang out there.

What are you looking for in a pub besides accessible to minors? That might help narrow this down a bit. Is it more about the food or the location? Does ambiance matter?

Old 03-13-2013, 04:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback... we will pretty much be driving in, parking and ditching the car, so some place relatively walkable from where our hotel is (between White House and Dupont Circle) would be nice or at least somewhere that between public transport and/or cab there and back is not too ridiculous.

As far as ambience, we'd like a place that's not dead, but where you can still carry on conversations. I'd imagine something like between a dive and a pub. Local flavor, history, atmosphere, etc. is nice but not mandatory for this particular night. We'll have 3 other nights in DC where the 21+ crowd will be seeking this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC