Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:23 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,146,011 times

Advertisements

The same logic American citizens believe if they see too many outsider illegal immigrants coming in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
The same logic American citizens believe if they see too many outsider illegal immigrants coming in the USA.
No, not the same.

Illegal immigrants do not have a legal status to be inside the country, no different than a complaint about an intruder being in your home.

However, in regards to the OP, the people who proclaim they "own" a certain area, have no legal authority on their claim.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:28 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
lol maybe to keep you from thinking you own it i guess.

you should ask them instead of telling them.
With all your abstract barbs, I never understand the root of your anger about the revitalization of a long struggling city in which you don't live.

I'm all for IZ, workforce housing mandates, and sensible public housing, but a lot of us can no longer afford to live where we used to. Why do the rest of us just figure out where we can afford or get roommates / partners and go along happily while you seem to be filled with rage about nothing more than a shifting market? Do you believe certain people are entitled to live in certain places or something, regardless of what any individual can afford? If so, who are these people and why are they given privilege over the rest of us?

Please no obtuse populist rant. I'm genuinely curious your beliefs on this.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
With all your abstract barbs, I never understand the root of your anger about the revitalization of a long struggling city in which you don't live.

I'm all for IZ, workforce housing mandates, and sensible public housing, but a lot of us can no longer afford to live where we used to. Why do the rest of us just figure out where we can afford or get roommates / partners and go along happily while you seem to be filled with rage about nothing more than a shifting market? Do you believe certain people are entitled to live in certain places or something, regardless of what any individual can afford? If so, who are these people and why are they given privilege over the rest of us?

Please no obtuse populist rant. I'm genuinely curious your beliefs on this.
Good post.

It's one thing to be annoyed at rising prices and change in general ... But it's another to believe you have rights others don't just because you feel entitled.

What really bothers me is the passive-aggressive threats these people make about violence. Stuff like "you are not as safe as you think you are" and talk about "riots". What the ****?

They are just hurting the image of DC natives and making you hope they ALL get pushed out of the city.

Yes I said it.

Enough of this non-sense.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:40 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
The OP literally just asked.
more like in the 3rd person tho. he can't ask me any more than
he can ask you because I'm not from there.

---------------------

bluefly, i'm not angry, so stop worrying so much.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
Good post.

It's one thing to be annoyed at rising prices and change in general ... But it's another to believe you have rights others don't just because you feel entitled.

What really bothers me is the passive-aggressive threats these people make about violence. Stuff like "you are not as safe as you think you are" and talk about "riots". What the ****?

They are just hurting the image of DC natives and making you hope they ALL get pushed out of the city.

Yes I said it.

Enough of this non-sense.
You don't really like native Washingtonians do you?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
You don't really like native Washingtonians do you?
I don't like entitled d-bags who whine and cry all day acting like victims.. if that's what you mean. Its not a matter of being a native of a certain place.. it a matter of being an entitled d-bag.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
I don't like entitled d-bags who whine and cry all day acting like victims.. if that's what you mean. Its not a matter of being a native of a certain place.. it a matter of being an entitled d-bag.
Mhm. For future references, take care to not generalize an entire population due to the complaints of some of those who feel that they are being victimized. That's what some of your posts have came off to me and even though there might be some truth to it, it can antagonize some people the wrong way, especially since some of these posters do have family roots in DC and I have family members in The City as well. The same way people who feel that they are victims of gentrification should not generalize an entire single demographic that they feel are responsible for the rising rents/housing prices and different lifestyles. Not looking to add fuel to an already raging fire, but it's a really good idea to tone down the rhetoric a bit. You can speak your mind, but I'm just sayin.

Last edited by tcave360; 01-30-2014 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Sentence structures

Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 PM

81 posts, read 216,952 times
Quote:
I'm sure the natives describe transplants the same way

Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Mhm. For future references, take care to not generalize an entire population due to the complaints of some of those who feel that they are being victimized. That's what some of your posts have came off to me and even though there might be some truth to it, it can antagonize some people the wrong way, especially since some of these posters do have family roots in DC and I have family members in The City as well. The same way people who feel that they are victims of gentrification should not generalize an entire single demographic that they feel are responsible for the rising rents/housing prices and different lifestyles. Not looking to add fuel to an already raging fire, but it's a really good idea to tone down the rhetoric a bit. You can speak your mind, but I'm just sayin.
I'm the last person here generalizing entire groups. You will see this if you read more of my posts.

When I do generalize I talk about specific "behavior patterns" that I have contempt for. I leave race, gender, and age out of it because its not about that. Its about the mindset of people who believe they are entitled to "DC" when they don't own the land. Its like if you lease a car for 10 years and then suddenly they jack up the payments to $500 a month. You are not entitled to that car just because you leased it for 10 years for $100 a month. Until you own something outright its not yours and that is what I want these people to understand.

I just can't stand entitlement. Makes my blood boil. Until something is legally your property its NOT yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: