Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:06 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
"Why do DC natives believe they 'own' DC?" is what was your OP headliner.

You didn't say "some", by not including that, some of us on this thread are getting the feeling that you're making wide-sweeping generalizations of an entire population of local born & bred Washingtonians and grouping them into a single category of anti-gentrifying moochers and nostalgic for the bad ol' murda capitol day lovers without much consideration

Honestly, I'm usually mixed towards gentrification and I do like the fact that it has made the housing stock in The City much more valuable and attractive to would-be renters and buyers as well as the ongoing revitalization of some of the once-struggling and derelict neighborhoods, yet at the same time, gentrification does have a negative way of making things not too affordable for the honest working class and lower to mid-middle class demographics who once made up the backbone of America's cities and who made them great in the first place in their own right without the pretention. I love the fact that DC is becoming more international and cosmopolitan as the years go by, but it is really sobering to see the local culture slowly getting priced out of DC. I mean, most of it has ended up in the burbs especially here in PG, but I always love going into the city environment to experience it firsthand. Very mixed indeed.

But anyway, regarding your reply. It would be wise to take your own advice and double-check your own OP hehe

Perhaps someone should start a thread title "Why do all these transplants believe they 'own' DC?". It would be very interesting to study your reactions
For the most part probably the best post of the bunch, and I can admit it as a transplant.
One has to realize that these changes are not all good. The lower crime rate and tax revenue is a good thing, the sky high price of housing is not.
Thinking about this, one of the possible solutions is to make it harder to do condo conversions on class B buildings which are mostly rent controlled in the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: