Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:48 AM

709 posts, read 1,130,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ well what would you do with the whiners if it was your choice?
Send them to college and/or trade school to make them more competitive in the job market so they can actually maybe afford to live where they want. Also educate them on economics, money and investing. I would ask them what exactly they want to do with there lives outside of "not leaving DC".

The key is finding the root causes of their bellyachin' and removing it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:11 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
^ That sounds pretty good.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
Send them to college and/or trade school to make them more competitive in the job market so they can actually maybe afford to live where they want. Also educate them on economics, money and investing. I would ask them what exactly they want to do with there lives outside of "not leaving DC".

The key is finding the root causes of their bellyachin' and removing it

Do you support any groups that further that cause either with your time or money??

Old 02-10-2014, 02:12 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcexpress View Post
Do you support any groups that further that cause either with your time or money??
NOPE. I've got my own problems.... And I'm too busy fixing them to whine about them

Old 02-10-2014, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,121 times
Quote:
NOPE. I've got my own problems.... And I'm too busy fixing them to whine about them

Right... that's what thought. You're really not interested in solving any problems in this city you'd prefer to just sweep them under the rug. Good Luck with that one.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcexpress View Post
Right... that's what thought. You're really not interested in solving any problems in this city you'd prefer to just sweep them under the rug. Good Luck with that one.
Well, it's arguable that anyone living within DC is directly contributing to job training and workforce development programs through the taxes we pay and the political values we have chosen to support as a broader community.

After all, one of the benefits of renewed development and investment in the city is that you have a growing middle / upper middle class population that does not require social services but contributes significant tax dollars to adequately fund social service programs, including the Mayor's successful One City One Hire program.

When DC was losing its tax base and the government was taken over by the feds in the 90s, that was not the case.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM

5 posts, read 4,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, it's arguable that anyone living within DC is directly contributing to job training and workforce development programs through the taxes we pay and the political values we have chosen to support as a broader community.

After all, one of the benefits of renewed development and investment in the city is that you have a growing middle / upper middle class population that does not require social services but contributes significant tax dollars to adequately fund social service programs, including the Mayor's successful One City One Hire program.

When DC was losing its tax base and the government was taken over by the feds in the 90s, that was not the case.

I think the One city One hire program program is nice in theory. But I really don't think that it works all that well.

Is Mayor Vince Gray's One City One Hire program really working? - Loose Lips

Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,219,896 times
Quote:
I guess you didn't read the OP did you?
"Why do DC natives believe they 'own' DC?" is what was your OP headliner.

You didn't say "some", by not including that, some of us on this thread are getting the feeling that you're making wide-sweeping generalizations of an entire population of local born & bred Washingtonians and grouping them into a single category of anti-gentrifying moochers and nostalgic for the bad ol' murda capitol day lovers without much consideration

Honestly, I'm usually mixed towards gentrification and I do like the fact that it has made the housing stock in The City much more valuable and attractive to would-be renters and buyers as well as the ongoing revitalization of some of the once-struggling and derelict neighborhoods, yet at the same time, gentrification does have a negative way of making things not too affordable for the honest working class and lower to mid-middle class demographics who once made up the backbone of America's cities and who made them great in the first place in their own right without the pretention. I love the fact that DC is becoming more international and cosmopolitan as the years go by, but it is really sobering to see the local culture slowly getting priced out of DC. I mean, most of it has ended up in the burbs especially here in PG, but I always love going into the city environment to experience it firsthand. Very mixed indeed.

But anyway, regarding your reply. It would be wise to take your own advice and double-check your own OP hehe

Perhaps someone should start a thread title "Why do all these transplants believe they 'own' DC?". It would be very interesting to study your reactions

Last edited by tcave360; 02-11-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 12:38 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,489,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post

You didn't say "some", by not including that, some of us on this thread are getting the feeling that you're making wide-sweeping generalizations of an entire population of local born & bred Washingtonians and grouping them into a single category of anti-gentrifying moochers and nostalgic for the bad ol' murda capitol day lovers without much consideration

Honestly, I'm usually mixed towards gentrification and I do like the fact that it has made the housing stock in The City much more valuable and attractive to would-be renters and buyers as well as the ongoing revitalization of some of the once-struggling and derelict neighborhoods, yet at the same time, gentrification does have a negative way of making things not too affordable for the honest working class and lower to mid-middle class demographics who once made up the backbone of America's cities and who made them great in the first place in their own right without the pretention. I love the fact that DC is becoming more international and cosmopolitan as the years go by, but it is really sobering to see the local culture slowly getting priced out of DC. I mean, most of it has ended up in the burbs especially here in PG, but I always love going into the city environment to experience it firsthand. Very mixed indeed.

But anyway, regarding your reply. It would be wise to take your own advice and double-check your own OP hehe

Perhaps someone should start a thread title "Why do all these transplants believe they 'own' DC?". It would be very interesting to study your reactions
This is great.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:05 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,219,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post

Looks like that's not gonna happen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: