Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
"College degree" doesn't do much for you. "College degree in a relevant field from a good university" is what the label should say. A basket weaving degree from Slippery Rock isn't going to get you a job in Washington.
Slippery Rock doesn't offer a degree in Basket Weaving.

I'll have to tell my daughter she needs to quit her job because she shouldn't have been able to get it since her degree is in Art and it's from Slippery Rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:56 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,999,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Slippery Rock doesn't offer a degree in Basket Weaving.

I'll have to tell my daughter she needs to quit her job because she shouldn't have been able to get it since her degree is in Art and it's from Slippery Rock.
My mistake the degree is in art, the course is basket weaving.. My son has a EE degree from a B10 school. Want to compare?

Old 02-14-2014, 08:06 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
My mistake the degree is in art, the course is basket weaving.. My son has a EE degree from a B10 school. Want to compare?
Not at all but you are exhibiting a classic DC/Metro DC attitude there.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not at all but you are exhibiting a classic DC/Metro DC attitude there.
Thank you! But actually the classic attitude is to send your child to some Ivy League school where they spend $200K and are no more employable than an art major from Slippery Rock.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:28 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Thank you! But actually the classic attitude is to send your child to some Ivy League school where they spend $200K and are no more employable than an art major from Slippery Rock.
First, what you wrote was a totally prickish thing to say because Big 10 schools like Michigan, Wisconsin-Madison, and Northwestern are in a similar realm academically as most of the Ivies, so you sound like you're rubbing it in.

Second, you're simply wrong bragging about saving money because Ivy schools do improve employability but, more importantly, are giving massively discounted or even free education to families that make less than a variable but relatively high income.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:37 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Starbuck clerks.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I don't have any statistics, and neither do you, but I'd be inclined to believe that in this economy (even in DC), there are plenty of Starbucks employees with a college degree. Lots of people in this town who just haven't found their way yet.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I don't have any statistics, and neither do you, but I'd be inclined to believe that in this economy (even in DC), there are plenty of Starbucks employees with a college degree. Lots of people in this town who just haven't found their way yet.
A distressing number of young college graduates come out of school with no discernible job skills.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:32 AM

999 posts, read 2,012,313 times
Never mind, DC. How did Atlanta get 76.16 percent? Higher than Seattle or San Francisco? Huh?

Atlanta is not exactly the professional creative hub that you find in the coastal cities. When I mean "creative", I am talking about computer engineering, *medical science research, architecture design and so on. The Atlanta region is home to major Fortune 500 global corporations such as Coca Cola, UPS, Delta Airlines, CNN-Turner Media, Georgia-Pacific and such. Could it be that college-educated white people have an overwhelming number of corporate jobs? Probably.

But I have to look at the methodology. Is this survey counting bachelor's degrees from private, corporate institutions such as Phoenix University, Strayer, DeVry, Kaplan etc? Bachelor's degrees from fly-by-night schools where you take online courses with no interaction with instructors or fellow class mates? People can earn "bachelors" degrees from those places in accounting, IT programming, business marketing--stuff that is in demand by large and small business enterprises.

I guarantee that the white workforce in DC earns an overwhelming number of college degrees from far more rigorous, traditional academic institutions such as the Ivies and elite state universities. You can stack the 76 % Atlantans vs. the 77 % DC white college graduates and you will find a much wider berth with SAT scores, foreign language knowledge, AP courses completed at HS level, merit scholarships and so forth...in my opinion. DC college grads got those skills.

*BTW...I know Atlanta has the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and this would influence the number well-paid white college graduates in the "creative" sector. But the CDC is a small fish when it comes to economic impact and employment totals compared to the corporate behemoths dotting the Atlanta suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
...which is an astounding statistic. Here's a list of a few U.S. cities showing the educational attainment (Bachelor's or higher for the population over 25) and the median HHI among the White, non-Hispanic population.

San Francisco (70.95%/$95,011)
Washington, DC (76.98%/$108,629)
Atlanta (76.16%/$84,036)
Chicago (55.99%/$68,254)
Boston (62.29%/$71,625)
New York (52.15%/$72,295)
Portland (47.58%/$55,403)
Philadelphia (34.80%/$50,164)
Austin (59.29%/$63,670)
Los Angeles (51.8%/$67,252)
Seattle (63.8%/$71,393)
Houston (52.8%/$71,908)

DC leads the pack in educational attainment (and in median HHI by a large margin). This got me to thinking though. Who are the white people in DC that don't have college degrees? I had to ponder this question for a while since I honestly can't say I've ever met a white person in Washington, DC who didn't have a college degree. A few things came to mind...

College dropouts in "creative" jobs (e.g., graphic design, artists, poets, etc.)

Police officers/EMS/firefighters. I imagine most of these guys live in the burbs though.

Bartenders, DJs, club types (think 9:30 Club bouncers)

Elderly people.

How often do you come across a white person living in DC that doesn't have a college degree?

Old 02-14-2014, 11:07 AM

It doesn't surprise me that Atlanta has a large white collar majority. Again I think it's the business mix. You don't find heavy industry or major port in Atlanta.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Never mind, DC. How did Atlanta get 76.16 percent? Higher than Seattle or San Francisco? Huh?
It's not higher than San Francisco. It is higher than Seattle, however.

Quote:
Atlanta is not exactly the professional creative hub that you find in the coastal cities.
Actually, the North Side of Atlanta is like that. Midtown, Buckhead, Little Five Points, Ansley Park, etc. fit that profile to a tee.

Class-Divided Cities: Atlanta Edition - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Quote:
But I have to look at the methodology. Is this survey counting bachelor's degrees from private, corporate institutions such as Phoenix University, Strayer, DeVry, Kaplan etc? Bachelor's degrees from fly-by-night schools where you take online courses with no interaction with instructors or fellow class mates? People can earn "bachelors" degrees from those places in accounting, IT programming, business marketing--stuff that is in demand by large and small business enterprises.
I'm sure it does. But why would you assume that more white people in Atlanta would have degrees from those places than whites in DC? It's not exactly cheap to live in Buckhead or Midtown based on what the jobs pay down there.

Quote:
I guarantee that the white workforce in DC earns an overwhelming number of college degrees from far more rigorous, traditional academic institutions such as the Ivies and elite state universities. You can stack the 76 % Atlantans vs. the 77 % DC white college graduates and you will find a much wider berth with SAT scores, foreign language knowledge, AP courses completed at HS level, merit scholarships and so forth...in my opinion. DC college grads got those skills.
There are more Ivy grads in DC. But even the Ivies are a small percentage of all whites with Bachelor's degrees. Atlanta has a decent bit of Ivy alums. But the overwhelming majority likely attended schools like Auburn, UGA, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Emory, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: