Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 10,594 times

Advertisements

I'll be working in Reston and my wife is in the pharma industry and will havea large area, mainly the Columbia/Bethesda and other parts of MD stretching out to Annapolis to cover. We really like the Ashburn area (would be good for my commute) but are concerned with her commute. Any help or advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:42 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
If your wife has to cover everything between Columbia and Annapolis, she's going to be on the road a lot no matter where you live. If it were me and I wanted to cut my wife a break, I might think anout living somewhere a little closer to the Beltway than Ashburn...

Old 12-18-2007, 10:00 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times
I think Silver Spring area zipcode 20910.Its close to Bethesda and about 30 minutes to Columbia and Annapolis. Silver Spring might be about 45 minutes to Reston. Nw Dc might work as well.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:31 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,922 times
Living in Reston and working occasionally in the Columbia/Annapolis area.. can you say insane.

I mean I know people who come in commuting to DC from Delaware, PA, and West Virginia but you sure won't catch me doing it...

Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 PM

I appreciate the comments/advice. We are thinking now it would be better to live in the Crofton/Davidsonville area and I would commute to Reston. I travel a lot and have a flex schedule so it would be an everyday commute. I guess this is one of the sacrifice to haveing two succesful careers.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:33 PM

51 posts, read 311,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadthin View Post
I appreciate the comments/advice. We are thinking now it would be better to live in the Crofton/Davidsonville area and I would commute to Reston. I travel a lot and have a flex schedule so it would be an everyday commute. I guess this is one of the sacrifice to haveing two succesful careers.

WOW. I live 10 mins from Crofton and commute to Fairfax every day. That's 40 miles for me. Reston is about another 10. It doesn't sound that bad until you throw in the traffic...... making for a 2 hour commute.

Remember... anytime you have to cross the Potomac River and you live in MD... automatically assume the traffic will be UGLY. Especially in the morning.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:41 PM

That is good information to know. I think I will be able to have a flex schedule that will allow me to arrive early and leave early. Again, i'm not sure, given our situation, to get around one of us having a crazy commute. Does anyone have any other suggestions for places to live. We will be looking at towns all around the beltway (Bethesda, Crofton,). We have a 5 month old baby, and although schools aren't important for us now, we want to live in area that is safe, good schools with a lot to do.

Again, thanks to everyone offering up advice.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:54 PM

Crofton is very nice...much of Anne Arundel County has something significant to offer. But I'd guess you're just putting the shoe on the other foot by getting that far away from Reston...it's 50 miles. Each way...

Old 12-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadthin View Post
That is good information to know. I think I will be able to have a flex schedule that will allow me to arrive early and leave early.
If you're determined to do Crofton-Reston and can time-shift, going in and leaving late may be the better option. There are a lot of people who do the early/early, so many that a bunch of the various first-thing-in-the-morning delivery runners are now out on the road starting at 2:30 and 3:00 am...

Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM

Thanks, I kind of thought the same thing. Just not sure yet. We have a little bit of time before we lock in on a place...until then I'll be driving from north of Bmore (Bel Air) to Reston 3 days a week, arriving early, leaving late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC