Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,430,315 times

Advertisements

^ I get your point and that's basically what I was saying too,
just in a different way, because I don't refer to my own people
of less fortune hoodrats lol like you. It's nothing tho. I have
thick skin and we are called worse.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:09 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,172,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Blacks don't even stand a chance with a black democrat mayor in dc anymore, but that doesn't mean that a republican or independent will do any better either, because all of them will sell blacks out. It's not even about skin color. It's about party, so some of you need to chill with spewing that racial nonsense about why blacks vote for blacks, because you don't know what you are talking about. Most blacks are democrats and that is where the black vote is for the most part, so get over it.

Talk about what your own people won't do sometimes, instead of constantly cluelessly yapping about what black people do.
So you're of the opinion that black DC voters would throw their support behind a gay white man in a Democratic primary election against a Democratic black candidate?

LOL

LOL

LOL

Now that's funny!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
No I'm no sell out. I'm a liberal do-gooder from an affluent family and a good education.

IMO Muriel has always been more responsive to business interests than the hood rats in the city. She's not my ideal candidate, but she is way better than Catania.
Why is she better than Cantania? Can you spell it out for us?

Old 10-22-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So you're of the opinion that black DC voters would throw their support behind a gay white man in a Democratic primary election against a Democratic black candidate?

LOL

LOL

LOL

Now that's funny!

no lol. you read my comment upside down if you thought that.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:03 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,465,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
She isn't going to crawl out on limbs like Adrian did. Even if that was her nature, she saw what happened. Being right doesn't matter when you **** off the voters.
There is such a thing as being too cautious though, and I think Bowser is guilty of that. You don't need to be a 'my way or the highway' type of person to display leadership, but you do need to get out in front of issues with specifics to provide leadership. Personally, I don't think DC needs a Mayor that is only willing to tackle politically safe issues. On many topics of controversy she'll offer up a banality like "i look forward on working on that to make it better" or "we'll carefully consider that". Those are non-answers that stymie progress on issues of any complexity (and in DC they're all complex).

Catania's personality is Fenty on steroids. "My way or the highway" is too polite. He's more of a "get the f*** out of my way" kind of guy. That's just as bad.

I'm very excited about my new Councilman, Charles Allen, because he's a policy wonk and has experience working collaboratively on the Council. He has very specific platforms ranging from city-wide policies to hyper-local issues, and he'll let you know exactly what they are. I had a conversation with him about a policy that we don't see eye to eye on - he didn't back down with a "I'll consider that" cop-out, and he didn't say "it's my way or the highway" either. He explored specific policy changes that would have to take place in order for there to be a middle ground. That's the kind of Mayor DC needs in my opinion - not a bull in a china shop and not someone afraid of their political shadow.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,016,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Catania's personality is Fenty on steroids. "My way or the highway" is too polite. He's more of a "get the f*** out of my way" kind of guy. That's just as bad.
Exactly. He isn't even liked by his fellow council members now. As mayor he would be toxic. Fortunately that isn't likely.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 AM

Look at Bowser's response to the question about schools. Notice the moderator asked specifically....for specifics!

Quote:
An early exchange in Thursday’s final debate, at Anacostia High School, illustrated the difference. Moderator Bruce Johnson of WUSA (Channel 9) asked the candidates to say specifically what they would do to reform the schools.

Bowser talked generally about the need to reduce inequalities in investment and concluded: “The biggest thing that I think that remains is making sure our middle schools are ready, that we’re telling parents that we’re going to have great buildings, great leadership, great curriculum.”

Catania first talked about two bills that he pushed through the council to curb social promotion and increase spending on at-risk students. He ended by listing three nearby schools that had recently lost their principals — Simon Elementary, Kramer Middle and Ballou High — and said he would make it “a focus” to improve stability among principals.

This should provide anyone and everyone....especially those who are undecided....all the evidence they need about Bowser's lack of leadership capability...the lack of ideas.....the taking for granted of DC's voters simply because they are Democrats and she feels entitled to their vote. Why give specifics...they're going to vote for me anyway, right?

To me, the choice is quite clear.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...453_story.html

Old 10-23-2014, 09:08 AM

Bowser is all about expanding education and economic development in DC
and pushing the momentum forward across the Anacostia to areas that
have been left out of the city's progress. On face value, she is sharp as a
tack and I don't see how she can be defeated this time. She's saying all the
right code words that people want to hear, so you should know what that
means, and not once has she said anything about giving out handouts.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:26 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,465,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Bowser is all about expanding education and economic development in DC
and pushing the momentum forward across the Anacostia to areas that
have been left out of the city's progress. On face value, she is sharp as a
tack and I don't see how she can be defeated this time. She's saying all the
right code words that people want to hear, so you should know what that
means
It means she's pandering. Saying 'i'm going to make all the bad things good' is empty without also putting forth a strategy to do so.

So she wants to bring economic development across the Anacostia and other historically overlooked corridors? Great. How has she said she's going to do that? Create a "DC First Program". What program elements does the DC First Program incorporate to achieve its goal? No one knows.

She does take a few hard positions that I agree with - she's in favor of neighborhood preference for charter schools for example - but is she the type of candidate that is really going to tackle the core issues of educational non-performance in DC, which will put the heat on parents, teachers and students alike? I don't think so.

Telling people what they want to hear is very different than leading.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Telling people what they want to hear is very different than leading.

it gets many politicians elected tho, right? the thing is if you know what to tell blacks voters and white voters (the ruling class) and everyone else at the same time, even if you don't do what you say or do the opposite only to please mostly the white people like most politicians, there is a higher chance you will get elected.

the other two candidates don't seem to have enough popularity to beat bowser.
it's like a no-win situation for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: