Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:16 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,432,208 times

Advertisements

I guess.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Looking at the polls it looks like Schwartz is a spoiler for Catania.
Schwartz is pulling votes from both candidates.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:45 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,174,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Latest poll has Bowser with a very substantial lead. 43 to 26 %
Which is down from 56% Bowser/ 23% Catania in March (last WP poll). Her 33 point lead shrunk to 17 points in the period of time since her primary win. What this tells me is that she's losing voters at a pretty rapid pace and/or voters are beginning to think "undecided," which would give Catania and perhaps Schwartz a better outlook.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:38 PM

465 posts, read 659,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I predict something very different: Catania 41% to Bowser's 40%. Schwartz and any write-ins split the rest.

My prediction rests heavily on heavier turnout of the "new to DC voter" and perhaps the propensity of new white voters to prop up a gay independent candidate. It really is a toss-up.

Partner... those people will never show up to the polls. Despite Muriel Bowser's lack of appeal the people running her campaign will get her voters to the polls. Catania has never won with anything close to 41% citywide. Most people simply don't trust or like him. That's particularly a big deal with Black voters. My prediction seems awfully close to the WAPO's poll from today though.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
Partner... those people will never show up to the polls. Despite Muriel Bowser's lack of appeal the people running her campaign will get her voters to the polls. Catania has never won with anything close to 41% citywide. Most people simply don't trust or like him. That's particularly a big deal with Black voters. My prediction seems awfully close to the WAPO's poll from today though.
To the contrary....Catania has a long record of success in city-wide races. Whether people show up to vote is the ultimate determinant. But based on history, Catania is not handicapped by merely being Cantania, or even being a non-Democrat. He will only be hobbled by voter turnout.

I'll remind you that only 27% of registered Democrats showed up for the primary in April...the lowest in DC history. That's not exactly a resounding defeat. It illustrates that a thin-margin Catania win is absolutely possible in this election.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Which is down from 56% Bowser/ 23% Catania in March (last WP poll). Her 33 point lead shrunk to 17 points in the period of time since her primary win. What this tells me is that she's losing voters at a pretty rapid pace and/or voters are beginning to think "undecided," which would give Catania and perhaps Schwartz a better outlook.

Schwartz wasn't in the race when that poll was taken. You'll also notice that Catania has only gained 3 points since March which is horrible. Many of the Gray voters who don't like Bowser will cast a protest vote for Schwartz.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
Schwartz wasn't in the race when that poll was taken. You'll also notice that Catania has only gained 3 points since March which is horrible. Many of the Gray voters who don't like Bowser will cast a protest vote for Schwartz.
I also mentioned that this illustrates that there could be a lot more "undecided" voters, which could only benefit Catania and/or Schwartz. Bowser is losing support as time goes on. How in the world could that help her?? Even more importantly, how does that hurt Catania/Schwartz?

Old 09-18-2014, 01:00 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,017,224 times
Quote:
You need a lesson in reading polls. The 56/23 was a two person poll. The current poll is 3 way.

You're whistling past the graveyard. DC is a dominant Democratic enclave and Catania is no Democrat. I doubt he'll even win the gay vote.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I also mentioned that this illustrates that there could be a lot more "undecided" voters, which could only benefit Catania and/or Schwartz. Bowser is losing support as time goes on. How in the world could that help her?? Even more importantly, how does that hurt Catania/Schwartz?

It helps Schwartz more than Catania. They will probably split the undecided vote 60 - 40. Either way Bowser will win by a lot.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
To the contrary....Catania has a long record of success in city-wide races. Whether people show up to vote is the ultimate determinant. But based on history, Catania is not handicapped by merely being Cantania, or even being a non-Democrat. He will only be hobbled by voter turnout.

Bruh, this fool got into office during a special election where here garnered 10,000 votes with a 7.5% voter turnout. I'd hardly call his wins citywide a record of success. If anything this idiot benefits from low voter turnout. As voter turnout decreases his percentage increases.

https://www.dcboee.org/election_info...e_mem_elec.asp

https://www.dcboee.org/election_info.../candidate.asp

https://www.dcboee.org/pdf_files/Sum...neral_2006.pdf

https://www.dcboee.org/election_info...n_results/2010

I'll remind you that only 27% of registered Democrats showed up for the primary in April...the lowest in DC history. That's not exactly a resounding defeat. It illustrates that a thin-margin Catania win is absolutely possible in this election.

I fail to see how that will matter in November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: