Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:52 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,546,725 times

Advertisements

Founding Farmer's is another restaurant institution in DC I forgot to mention. Extremely popular so make reservations four years in advance if you plan on going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:59 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,592,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Founding Farmer's is another restaurant institution in DC I forgot to mention. Extremely popular so make reservations four years in advance if you plan on going.
I went there once. It was pretty cool. I didn't make the reservation and I actually didn't know it was that popular

Old 01-16-2015, 11:06 AM

1,797 posts, read 3,652,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetiteruse View Post
DistrictSonic - that's more the info I'm looking for. I was a museum/arts/theater frequent patron in LA and will no doubt continue that here on my own.

I'm looking more for the local scene. Like, where's a cool place to go for a run or walk? Where do people take their dogs to the park? happy hour? Where can a mid 30s single woman go to sit a bar and meet people without it being about picking someone up for the night?

are there any musts for restaurants? I'm perfectly independent so have no problem going to dinner and such solo. I love yelp so can usually find great places there, but would love some local input. Oh - and where is a great place for breakfast?

also - what are some of your favorite day trips out of the city? by car or public transportation.

I live in Silver Spring and work in the district, but I anticipate my weekend warrior activities will be more district than SS.
We do like our brunch here in DC. Silo is a favorite of mine downtown for brunch on Saturdays since it has good food and a nice atmosphere.

My favorite spots outside of DC are Old Town Alexandria and the wineries in Northern VA.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:22 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,970,878 times
Okay, now that I kind of better understand where you are coming from. I think U St has always been a place to eat lunch alone. AFI Silver in Silver Spring is worth checking out in terms of classic, foriegn and indie cinema. DC has several jazz clubs, but Bohemian Taverns is considered the best of the bunch. The Kennedy center for classical music and broadway musicals. Woolley Mamouth, Studio Theater, and The National Shakespeare Company for theater.

Georgetown and Dupont/Adams Morgan/U Street are also great just to walk around. Hiking in Rock Creek Park is also nice once you get into the warmer months.

Outside of DC, I agree, Old Town Alexandria is also worth going to.

In terms of Breakfast...Founding Farmers.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,444,899 times
Go see the Wizards.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:02 PM

46 posts, read 61,695 times
Default Biking and Kayaking

I love biking in DC. You can bike in the tourist area near the mall, but I like biking along the river even better. Very easy to find a rental at a meter or from a local provider.

I just met a woman from DC on a kayak tour in Florida. She says there's kayaking on the Potomac.

Have fun! Love DC

Old 01-17-2015, 01:11 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,762,184 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've been in DC all of one week now and want to get out this weekend and do something. Yes, of course I could go to the mall and see the memorials. I saw them about 14 years ago so it's not my #1 priority.

So I ask you - what do you recommend a newcomer do for her first weekend living here???

Lynn
Go get some half smoked from Ben's Chili bowl off of U Street (don't get the chill) and get laid. Hit every bar on U St.

Second week, I went to George Town and hit this crappy sports bar, and met this girl who went to GW. She was nice, and smart, but super insecure for some reason. Then it was nice. Then we got up, got some brunch from this tiny little shop in the hill, and we drifted away...

Third week to now (five years), I just worked non-stop.

The place you need to hit are the Natural Science Museum, and the Smithsonian, as well as the Jewish Museum (And I want to say Newseum, but I can't say anything because I haven't been there yet). Then hit the Spy museum, and Crime Museum, and visit some old sites, run around Jefferson memorial. I would also suggest going to the Arlington Cemetery to give some respect.

Then, just work your ass off, save your money and invest them, and hope to come back to DC after you're rich to see the underground secret museums that's invite only.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:21 AM

88 posts, read 116,611 times
what? underground secret museums? They can't be much of a secret if people know about them.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:00 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,762,184 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've been in DC all of one week now and want to get out this weekend and do something. Yes, of course I could go to the mall and see the memorials. I saw them about 14 years ago so it's not my #1 priority.

So I ask you - what do you recommend a newcomer do for her first weekend living here???

Lynn
just go nuts! Go everywhere! Do all of the things!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:37 AM

1,797 posts, read 3,652,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
just go nuts! Go everywhere! Do all of the things!
Agreed. There is so much to do. I did the whole museum thing when I first got here. Now I go out for brunch downtown each Saturday at the same place usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: