Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:12 AM

88 posts, read 116,160 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been in DC all of one week now and want to get out this weekend and do something. Yes, of course I could go to the mall and see the memorials. I saw them about 14 years ago so it's not my #1 priority.

So I ask you - what do you recommend a newcomer do for her first weekend living here???

Lynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:44 AM

720 posts, read 1,555,069 times
There's something for everybody here. What is your scene? What do you like to do? interests?

Old 01-16-2015, 08:01 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
It completely depends what you like. I would suggest heading towards U Street, Eastern Market, or Georgetown. You will be living here, and while many of us take advantage of the museums, most of your social life will revolve around the city itself outside of the mall.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:38 AM

DistrictSonic - that's more the info I'm looking for. I was a museum/arts/theater frequent patron in LA and will no doubt continue that here on my own.

I'm looking more for the local scene. Like, where's a cool place to go for a run or walk? Where do people take their dogs to the park? happy hour? Where can a mid 30s single woman go to sit a bar and meet people without it being about picking someone up for the night?

are there any musts for restaurants? I'm perfectly independent so have no problem going to dinner and such solo. I love yelp so can usually find great places there, but would love some local input. Oh - and where is a great place for breakfast?

also - what are some of your favorite day trips out of the city? by car or public transportation.

I live in Silver Spring and work in the district, but I anticipate my weekend warrior activities will be more district than SS.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:50 AM

52 posts, read 67,309 times
So many options, but I do have one suggestion: Check out Busboys and Poets on U Street.

Busboys and Poets - U Street Corridor - Washington, DC | Yelp

Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetiteruse View Post
are there any musts for restaurants? I'm perfectly independent so have no problem going to dinner and such solo. I love yelp so can usually find great places there, but would love some local input. Oh - and where is a great place for breakfast?
District Taco, Ted's Bulletin, Matchbox are probably the most popular affordable restaurants in DC. Clyde's is very close behind. Old Ebbit Grill is very good if you are willing to spend $15-25 for an entree.

There are tons and tons of brunch places in DC but Ted's has a very good affordable brunch.

Quote:
I'm looking more for the local scene. Like, where's a cool place to go for a run or walk? Where do people take their dogs to the park? happy hour? Where can a mid 30s single woman go to sit a bar and meet people without it being about picking someone up for the night?
The Mount Vernon Trail that goes along the Potomac River is the most beautiful (park anywhere in the many parking lots on the northbound side of the George Washington Parkway; Gravely Point is the best place to park). Rock Creek Park would be much closer for you to take your dog on a walk.

For someone in your age range, I would suggest the 14th street, U street, and Capitol Hill bars. Capitol Hill is the oldest "cool" neighborhood in DC demographically.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:53 AM

52 posts, read 67,309 times
...and just a follow up to my earlier post, here's one more suggestion: Kramer Books & Afterwords

Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe - Dupont Circle - Washington, DC | Yelp

Old 01-16-2015, 08:59 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
If you are into that scene, you should definitely go to Busboys and Poets and Politics and Prose.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:25 AM

All of those are great suggestions. thanks!!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
There are tons and tons of brunch places in DC but Ted's has a very good affordable brunch.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the recommendation of Ted's. I'm so going there tomorrow!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: