Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:36 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,168,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
For those of us in DC, it is too far out for anything but international travel. Never mind the problems getting there if one is going car free in DC.
Exactly right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,364,929 times
Dulles will always retain its importance as a major regional hub for international travel. The list of international airlines serving IAD keeps growing each year.

IAD also serves well the Dulles tech corridor which has a large presence of multinational and international-focused IT firms, and also the country HQs of Audi, VW, Bentley etc. I don't see IAD declining ever in that respect.

That being said, I agree with others that IAd is a pain in the butt to get to, and I also only use it for international travel.

I really wish DCA would open up to flights to atleast Europe - like the more popular destinations such as London and Paris for starters.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:04 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,539,153 times
It's way easier to get to Dulles using transit than BWI. There are Fairfax Connector buses that go between Wiehle-Reston East and the airport every 15 minutes and there is the 5A that goes to Rosslyn and L'Enfant. Most people don't know that though.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:28 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,500,471 times
Well if you live in Centreville or Chantilly, or even Manassas and Gainesville, I would say Dulles is damn convenient. Think of all the Koreans in Centreville, where else can they catch a direct flight to Seoul-Incheon

Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,966,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
It's way easier to get to Dulles using transit than BWI. There are Fairfax Connector buses that go between Wiehle-Reston East and the airport every 15 minutes and there is the 5A that goes to Rosslyn and L'Enfant. Most people don't know that though.
Oh wait, I have to take a train, then take a bus that I have to wait for. All while wasting a significant portion of my time. Again, Dulles might as well not exist for me for domestic flights.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:34 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,013,989 times
Dulles has never been a popular airport. For years it was artificially propped up by the restrictions on flight distances out of National Airport. If Northern Virginia doesn't generate enough traffic to keep it open, then perhaps it should close.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:53 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,158,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Oh wait, I have to take a train, then take a bus that I have to wait for. All while wasting a significant portion of my time. Again, Dulles might as well not exist for me for domestic flights.
Domestically, it makes no sense. Internationally, if you don't have a car, why not? I'm going to Paris in May with my girlfriend, I'm seriously considering us taking metro to get there. Supershuttle will cost an arm and a leg so why not spend $4 in metro fare to get there?

Old 02-24-2015, 09:59 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,539,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Dulles has never been a popular airport. For years it was artificially propped up by the restrictions on flight distances out of National Airport. If Northern Virginia doesn't generate enough traffic to keep it open, then perhaps it should close.
It has just as many passengers as Reagan...You're over exaggerating a bit.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:17 AM

720 posts, read 1,557,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Dulles is easy for Virginians but a pain for most others. It's much more convenient for one to get to BWI or Reagan living in DC or Maryland. I always avoid IAD when I can. I can take the Metrorail straight to Reagan or the Metrorail to Union Station and MARC/Amtrak up to BWI. Those buses and shuttles from Rosslyn or to West Falls Church don't always have convenient hours of availability

Old 02-24-2015, 10:42 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,364,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post

So are you saying that DC can do without an international airport?

Or do you want all international traffic to move to DCA, which simply is not feasible (as much as I'd love for DCA to have int'l flights? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC