Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:07 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,293,900 times

Advertisements

Pardon me if something like this already exists. I was thinking it would be cool to have a running thread on the new CityCenter project as it comes into being. I have been watching/hoping/waiting for this project for years. It is exciting to see it finally open.

Right now it looks like they are starting out slow, just rolling out the filler. So far it is a total snooze fest, nothing exciting or even new to DC. But, hopefully as we roll along they will start announcing the good stuff: Apple, Uniqlo, TopShop, etc.

I was trying to make a running list of the retail/restaurants announced so far:

Confirmed-

1) Tumi - a luggage retailer currently located in Georgtown
http://dc.racked.com/archives/2013/1...-moving-in.php

2) Kate Spade NY - currenlty located in Georgetown

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...ycenterdc.html

3) Allen Edmonds - upscale shoe story, currently located on Conn Ave

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto....html?page=all

Probably coming-

4) Burberry- upscale men's clothing store, moving from Conn Ave location.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...=.html&ana=twt

Old 11-22-2013, 10:43 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,288,668 times
Hines has a reputation for not disclosing retail tenants (which quite frankly makes no sense), so don't expect anything big to come out any time soon…Apple isn't going through as it is.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:41 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,293,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Hines has a reputation for not disclosing retail tenants (which quite frankly makes no sense), so don't expect anything big to come out any time soon…Apple isn't going through as it is.
Interesting, this development looks to be opening soon. So I would think we will see more and more stuff announced in the next 2-3 months. I hope the retail spaces are all leased when it opens. I would hate to see it have a bunch of empty retail space that sits empty for years like the stuff on F Street did or the spaces on Conn Ave still do. With as much hype as this project has generated, I would like to believe that won't happen.

Yeah, I also heard the rumor Apple isn't coming. I wonder what there reasoning would be? It has been "unofficially" dangled out there as an anchor tenet forever. This seems like the prefect spot right in the heart of the city. DC is really missing a marque Apple Store like Chicago, Boston, San Francisco. The Gtown one is pretty small and out of the way. Maybe it's naive optimism, but I'm still holding out hope Apple will come.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:15 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times
I don't get why people would be excited about Apple coming. We already have one down the street in Georgetown, another in Clarendon, Bethesda, and Pentagon City, which are all easy to get to on foot or Metro. Not to mention the fading luster of the company, I just don't see a marque store being a game-changer.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:13 AM

458 posts, read 645,491 times
Based on the shops you just listed, I'm getting the impression that City Center = carbon copy Georgetown Mall 2.0
Also known as the reincarnation of Georgetown Galleria :yawn:
Who wants to make a bet that Sbarro pizza & Panda Express will be built inside City Center food court?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:17 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,532,149 times
Tanger Outlets is and will be much better than this. City Center should've been a true shopping destination but for now Tyson's, Potomac Mills, and the new Tanger Outlets will destroy anything in Downtown DC.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:46 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,490,309 times
City Center will be there for folks that work in downtown DC and like to shop at lunch and who live in the city who don't want to deal with the traffic headache the new Tanger Outlet mall is causing now. Plus I think those stores will be more upscale like Georgetown. So you can have upscale and the outlet mall. A win for DC and PG.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times
I doubt this Tanger Outlet will have much impact on downtown DC retail. Hardly anyone goes out to National Harbor as it is, and it's literally right across the border of the city. It's almost entirely a different market than the one that would support downtown retail, which already attracts more than just office workers.

Downtown will be competing more with Friendship Heights, Georgetown, Tysons, and maybe Pentagon City.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,532,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I doubt this Tanger Outlet will have much impact on downtown DC retail. Hardly anyone goes out to National Harbor as it is, and it's literally right across the border of the city. It's almost entirely a different market than the one that would support downtown retail, which already attracts more than just office workers.

Downtown will be competing more with Friendship Heights, Georgetown, Tysons, and maybe Pentagon City.
All of those places you just named still trumps City Center. Downtown DC should be trying to compete with 5th avenue, Mag mile, or the real city center in Philly. Hell shopping in Baltimore is better too around the Harbor neighborhoods. Columbia Heights shopping is better too. Downtown DC sucks.....

Old 11-24-2013, 09:07 AM

741 posts, read 1,114,994 times
I think people need to wait until the retail space in CityCenterDC gets mostly leased and stores open before we pass judgement on whether it sucks or not. There are about 44 retail spaces that need to be filled in this phase of development (60 retail spaces including the hotel and additional office phase), and we have a list of three stores confirmed so far.

The merchandising plan shows it will be heavy on fashion and specialty retail, which I think will be a big boost for downtown DC upon full lease up:
http://www.wjeinc.com/CityCenterDC/C...an-5.16.13.pdf

It is also worth noting that the developer committed to 30 percent of the retail space to be set aside for retailers having six or less stores in the U.S. This commitment will influence the mix of stores as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC