Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 10:28 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times

Advertisements

We'll be driving from NC and looking to tour US Capital and White House (tours have been requested already) alone with other monuments.

I have heard that parking is a major issue downtown. Meaning basically none.

Our idea was to rent hotel in the suburbs (VA or MD) and use public transportation.

How feasible is this? Looking at Best Western in Arlington, VA.

Will be traveling with 3 year old kid with stroller.

Wanting to spend as least as possible in terms of parking. But convenience is also a factor

Also are there public lockers in and around the White House area. We are touring but need place to store all our things not allowed on tour.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 10:36 AM

Also, just found this website BestParking - The Best Parking Search Engine

Pretty useful. I guess there are plenty of parking garages in DC afterall

Old 06-17-2015, 11:14 AM

359 posts, read 477,070 times
Yes, there are parking garages but you can expect to pay $20-30 to park for the day downtown.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
Yes, there are parking garages but you can expect to pay $20-30 to park for the day downtown.
That's fine. Spending money on bus/rail fare would have been the same. And the added convenience of driving our own car is worth it.

And they accept pre-pay and reservations.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:51 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,413 times
No garage is within walking distance of all the sights in DC so don't assume that you won't have to spend money on additional transportation just because you park downtown. You'll still likely need to spend money on the Metro or taxis or Circulator bus to get from your garage to some of your destinations.

Last edited by stateofnature; 06-17-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-17-2015, 11:59 AM

There is a Colonial garage at 396 6th St SW that is close to the National Mall and US Capital building. Should be sufficient to see most of the major landmarks right?

Old 06-17-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
There is a Colonial garage at 396 6th St SW that is close to the National Mall and US Capital building. Should be sufficient to see most of the major landmarks right?
If you're up for A LOT of walking then it might be sufficient, but for a lot of people that would be way too much walking, especially in our brutal summer heat and humidity. From that garage you are looking at nearly a mile walk to the Capitol building, which would then put you on the complete opposite side of the Mall from a lot of the major memorials like the Lincoln and the Jefferson, so about two miles from them.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:50 PM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
You can park there the first day and visit the museums, art galleries and U.S. Capitol. Then park in the Ronald Reagan building garage the second day and visit the White House, Monument and Lincoln Memorial.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
If you're up for A LOT of walking then it might be sufficient, but for a lot of people that would be way too much walking, especially in our brutal summer heat and humidity. From that garage you are looking at nearly a mile walk to the Capitol building, which would then put you on the complete opposite side of the Mall from a lot of the major memorials like the Lincoln and the Jefferson, so about two miles from them.
From the maps and poster below it doesn't look that far. But since you are local you would know more than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You can park there the first day and visit the museums, art galleries and U.S. Capitol. Then park in the Ronald Reagan building garage the second day and visit the White House, Monument and Lincoln Memorial.
Yes, that's what I plan. I know the White House is a bit further out so plan to do that the second day

Old 06-17-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
From the maps and poster below it doesn't look that far. But since you are local you would know more than me

Yes, that's what I plan. I know the White House is a bit further out so plan to do that the second day
I'm not using local knowledge here, this is just what the walking directions tool on Google Maps tells me. 0.8 mile walk from that garage to the Capitol building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: