Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:28 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times

Advertisements

Frankly, I'm more afraid of being shot with the way gun violence is in America today than being attacked by ISIS. You are infinitely more likely to be shot by another American than by someone from ISIS in America, yet we do infinitely more to fight terrorism (not that I don't think we shouldn't do anything to fight ISIS either).

At this point, they should give a second certificate to college graduates for making it 4-7 years without being murdered in their classroom.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:18 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
With the U.S. being the most militarized nation on earth, most terrorists are too intimidated to attack DC. They will attack NYC, LA, Boston and other cities.. but the assumption is that DC is too secure and the likelihood of a successful attack is low. You can thank TV and movies for that perception.

From the outside.. the U.S. is very intimidating. DC especially. Some of the hate is based on this.
A crazy woman rammed through a White House gate a couple of years ago.

How a Confused Mom Drove Through a White House Checkpoint and Ended Up Dead | Mother Jones

And a man jumped the White House fence earlier this year.

White House fence jumper arrested "immediately" - CBS News

12 trained terrorists (strapped with bombs) who view it as an honor to die in a hail of gunfire could do a lot of damage even in DC.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:01 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times
You're many times over much more likely to killed in some kind of vehicular accident than you are to be killed in a terrorist attack. It seems like some people spend a disproportionate amount of time worrying about scary but small risks like terrorism than they do worrying about much bigger threats. I've met people who are literally too scared to visit DC or NYC due to fear of terrorism, and yet they will drive for hours every single day without a second thought. Makes no damn sense! But then again, I get nervous on airplanes and am fine when riding in a car, even though I intellectually understand that airplanes are much safer than cars. Most people aren't truly rational, and neither am I.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:55 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
You're many times over much more likely to killed in some kind of vehicular accident than you are to be killed in a terrorist attack..
Hopefully we now understand that no matter what social topic is at hand, there is a way of thinking that is totally disconnected with the state of human nature.

And to think we have sacraficed our lives for all these years for people like you....

Old 11-17-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Hopefully we now understand that no matter what social topic is at hand, there is a way of thinking that is totally disconnected with the state of human nature.

And to think we have sacraficed our lives for all these years for people like you....
Are the facts at odds at with human nature sometime? Sure. I realize most people think terrorism is a bigger threat than vehicular accidents. They would be wrong. That's just a fact. It's stupid to give in to people's irrational fears and ignore the facts. That's why I used the example of my fear of flying: if I just followed my nature, I'd never get into a plane again. But instead I look at the facts, which are that airplane travel is safe despite my emotional feeling that it's not, and I get on the plane despite my fears. When facts and emotions conflict, go with the facts.

I have no idea what your second sentence means.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:13 AM

A lot of people are bliching about the 24 governors not wanting to go along with the mass refugee movement- rather than promoting safety and vigilance, especially after recent attacks. Where are the priorities when we don't even have a plan to take them in? Why are liberals so air headed at times? No sense of security until the shiek hits the fan.. But yet, we can sit, have never sat a day in office, and think we know better simply because we have hearts.

We are the most hypocritical nation with power. We have PTSD military veterans that slipped through the cracks and are now police in small/bad neighborhoods where other officers don't want to be. They are exposed to all this kind of crime regularly and suffer even more mental damage. But yet, all we can do is call them racist. Where is the heart and compassion for them? People have no experience but they feel they know what is really happening. Sometimes I wish there were some sort of destruction in order to wake America up.. You have people talking about DC is too secure so ISIS will never attack it. This is what we are dealing with - no common sense. No sense of Patriotism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qwhHCXkjY8

Old 11-17-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Are the facts at odds at with human nature sometime? Sure. I realize most people think terrorism is a bigger threat than vehicular accidents. They would be wrong. That's just a fact. It's stupid to give in to people's irrational fears and ignore the facts. That's why I used the example of my fear of flying: if I just followed my nature, I'd never get into a plane again. But instead I look at the facts, which are that airplane travel is safe despite my emotional feeling that it's not, and I get on the plane despite my fears. When facts and emotions conflict, go with the facts.

You know what, statistically, sure you are correct. But there is a time and place for this. Totally absent of any concern of the current atmosphere. This is what I am talking about and it's like this across the board. People come on here asking about DC and they are giving heat and told that they simply can't afford to live here. No sense of connection at all.

There is a time and place and today is not the day to break out your flow chart. Stop being a stats frat and start employing vigilance and promoting patriotism.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You know what, statistically, sure you are correct. But there is a time and place for this. Totally absent of any concern of the current atmosphere. This is what I am talking about and it's like this across the board. People come on here asking about DC and they are giving heat and told that they simply can't afford to live here. No sense of connection at all.

There is a time and place and today is not the day to break out your flow chart. Stop being a stats frat and start employing vigilance and promoting patriotism.
This is exactly what I mean when I say there is a temptation to go with irrational emotion instead of facts. It's no surprise you are uncomfortable with fact-finding tools like "statistics" and "flow charts" since you seem more interested in meaningless jingoistic phrases like "promoting patriotism" that make you FEEL better rather than anything informative.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:

There is SOME rationality behind fearing flying more than driving in a car. The key word is control.

When you are in an airplane you have no control over anything. When you are driving a car.. you can at least control where it goes and what it does.. which gives you the illusion of increased safety. On top of that.. even as a passenger in a car.. you can escape the car by foot. You are on the ground. In a plane there is no way out. You have no control. I think that is the main reason for the fear. I too prefer being on the ground even though I know flying is safer.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:59 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:

The time and place for "facts" is 24/7. Not sure what you're talking about lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC