Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 01:12 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
There is SOME rationality behind fearing flying more than driving in a car. The key word is control.

When you are in an airplane you have no control over anything. When you are driving a car.. you can at least control where it goes and what it does.. which gives you the illusion of increased safety. On top of that.. even as a passenger in a car.. you can escape the car by foot. You are on the ground. In a plane there is no way out. You have no control. I think that is the main reason for the fear. I too prefer being on the ground even though I know flying is safer.
Yes I think you're right that the perception of control is the reason why so many people, myself included, are nervous fliers but fine in cars on the ground. But as you say, the control is at some point an "illusion." Even a very highly skilled driver could get hit by a drunk driver who comes barreling out of nowhere. Overall you're much safer in the hands of an average airline pilot.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:48 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
The time and place for "facts" is 24/7. Not sure what you're talking about lol.
No worries, we can go about our business as usual. DC is just as likely as any other city. There are many things you really don't know. We currently have known radicals in the US that have gone dark using gaming apps. Trust me, this is not what you think it is..

Just remain vigilant.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:55 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Listen, I am getting this information first hand. We are in a serious state now. We have absolutely not the ability. We are seriously undermanned and underfunded.

There is a time and place but today is not the time to post up with your wine bottle saying things like "chances are less of a terrorist attack than getting shot by an american".

Old 11-18-2015, 09:58 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
There is a time and place but today is not the time to post up with your wine bottle saying things like "chances are less of a terrorist attack than getting shot by an american".
Why not? That statement about chances is absolutely true and we should keep it in mind when formulating our policies. There's never a bad time to tell the truth.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:53 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
I don't think that statement is true. Most people who get killed are killed by someone they know. Their lifestyle increases their risk. The average American will never be at risk if things continue as usual. The statement is technically true, but not actually true for most.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 PM

814 posts, read 911,893 times
DC has always been in the crosshairs of ISIS, it's a very obvious target based on what the city represents and the destruction of the Pentagon on 9/11.

We have a known enemy, we need to accept that attacks can happen on our soil, then we need to unite as a nation of one and deliver a big can of US Army Whoop Ass.

The time for being nice has passed, our country needs us, stop fighting with your black or white brothers and sisters, we're not supposed to be the enemy of each other, if we stood as one they dont stand a chance, not on our soil, not in our United States.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:38 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
So are people in DC taking these threats seriously?
No one I know is changing anything or adjusting their lives because of this. We're going about our business and living our lives. What else are we supposed to do? Call in sick and stay at home hiding in a closet? Leave town? We can't stop living because some lunatics make a threat. I'm certainly not going to give them that victory, that's for sure.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:50 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
A lot of people are bliching about the 24 governors not wanting to go along with the mass refugee movement- rather than promoting safety and vigilance, especially after recent attacks.
Because that is not what this country is about. We don't close borders here on the chance that one lunatic will slip through in a crowd of 10,000. We're a nation of immigrants, and many, many Americans are descendants of refugees. There were refugees in my own family. Welcoming refugees is part of our way of life. We should not have to change our way of life. We're stronger and better than that.

Can we guarantee that no terrorists will slip in? No. But you can't guarantee that there will be no terrorism by closing our borders and turning refugees away. It's a good bet that terrorists are already here and are just awaiting orders. Furthermore, Tim McVeigh was homegrown.

Those who are calling to close the borders or turn away refugees are acting on fear. Guess what? That means the terrorists have already won: They've succeeded in terrorizing and terrifying you. That's what they want. They also want a war. Giving one to them is also giving them a victory.

The way to defeat these people is to stop playing their war-mongering games, to continue living our lives and enjoying our freedoms, and to continue to stand for the traditional American values of welcoming the tired, the poor, and the huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:52 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
So are people in DC taking these threats seriously?
ISIS wishes DC ill? Tell them to get in line.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:03 AM

912 posts, read 915,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Not to take this lightly, but DC is always in the cross-hairs of extremist both domestic and international. This is nothing new, it is just a fact of life of living here.

To the worry warts, if you don't like the risk of living in DC, relocate. DC will always be a target. Hopefully you're not just now learning that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC