Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times

Advertisements

Currently my husband and I reside in Minneapolis, we have lived here for about 2 years now. As soon as Nov comes my crying starts and it ends in April. We both have really good jobs here but NO social life. MPLS a small liberal city but as long as you are within the city limits. It seems as if main focus in life here is reproduction, kids and all that comes with it, Minnesotan's view of the world is so limited it makes me sick. Now we both have job offers in metro DC, it's going to be a huge pay cut for us. the question is: should we accept the pay cut and just move to a more vibrant city where my family and friends reside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 04:57 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Too little and yet too much detail..... cost of living is very high in this area.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
If you're asking if DC is a better place to live than Minneapolis.. the answer is yes.

If you're asking if Minneapolis is worth leaving.. the answer is yes.

If you're not happy where you are.. you should move. Life is too short to live in a place where you don't fit in.

As far as the pay cut issue goes.. that depends on what your new pay will be. Obviously your salary will increase the longer you stay at a job. So thinking long term.. pay is not really an issue unless you're drowning in debt.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:30 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,628 times
Are you wanting vibrancy or familiarity? You say the former but I think maybe more the latter. That's ok but it helps if you understand your own motivation.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:08 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
It's obvious that they're not happy in Minneapolis, but there's no need to put the people there down. I think it's a great city, and I loved living there. The DC area is great too. Only you can decide if it is great enough to take a pay cut to live here. With the crazy cost of living, I'm not sure it's worth doing that, though.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:28 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It's obvious that they're not happy in Minneapolis, but there's no need to put the people there down. I think it's a great city, and I loved living there. The DC area is great too. Only you can decide if it is great enough to take a pay cut to live here. With the crazy cost of living, I'm not sure it's worth doing that, though.
I'm sure the pay cut would to temporary. Its not like your salary would stagnate for years. The real question is if DC is worth a "temporary" pay cut.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:24 PM

22 posts, read 21,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
This. I lived in Minneapolis for 12 years and disagree with the observation of "It seems as if main focus in life here is reproduction, kids and all that comes with it, Minnesotan's view of the world is so limited it makes me sick." but to each their own. I've lived here for about a year and a half and thought the "vibrance" would make the high cost of living worth it but I'm not yet convinced. If you're trying to get away from MN winters I don't blame you but I don't think DC winters are a walk in the park either. If I decide to move again I'd gladly move back to the Twin Cities - I love the music scene and I have friends and family in that area. Since you have friends and family in DC I'm assuming you've spent time here. It sounds like you dislike MN and would prefer DC. I say go with your gut.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:36 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,683 times
Living in a city that makes you cry from Nov -Apr is sooo worth leaving. I've too have been "stuck" in cities that I was luke warm about. Daydreaming about when I would leave. So, I know that feeling all too well. Looking back, I can honestly say I tied up too much of my life/energy wasting time in those cities when my heart clearly wanted to be some place else.
I recently moved to the DC area 7 months ago. I love the city and I'm so much more at peace here. Once you start craving DC, no other city is going to work until you get a chance to experience it first. Once here, then you can decide whether it's worth it. Some would argue that the city is overrated for the price tag, I somewhat agree, but love it anyway.
I had to make some minor sacrifices to live here. However, the overall increase to my happiness is well worth the offset. Not sure about long-term, but for now it's great and I love it here.
Make the move to DC. You already have job offers which is half the battle. There's plenty of opportunities here so no need to worry about stagnation with the lower salaries. Just do your due diligence before moving here and make sure you can handle the COL difference. Best wishes!

Old 11-23-2015, 08:11 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,844 times
Can you negotiate your salaries so that the pay cut is not so extreme?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC