Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:34 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times

Advertisements

Germantown is a good suggestion. Areas beyond along the MARC train route would be good too. You can commute to DC by train in an hour easily. Driving may take longer though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 09:30 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I would recommend Hyattsville or College Park if schools aren't too much of an issue. I just recently moved into a house in the area & only a few blocks away from Metro & love it so far.

I think the area gets overlooked a lot because it is in Prince George's County but i haven't had any issues so far & the area is very diverse with a lot of professionals moving into the area. Good luck with your search :-)
If schools are not the issue, than greenbelt may in fact be perfect. NoVA is actually the more expensive option with worse traffic. The bad areas of PG are pretty easily identifiable because they are connected to east of the river part of DC. But Northwestern PG is not bad at all and may be a good fit. It's also not too bad in terms of traffic.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:14 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
What about Bowie or Laurel, MD? Both have MARC train stations also and many safe areas. You could also live in Largo and drive to New Carrollton train station which is probably a 15 minute drive, plus 10 minute train ride to Union Station.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:11 PM

63 posts, read 152,047 times
Thanks gomason. I'm definitely looking at MARC, and have begun to focus now on Rockville-Gaithersburg-Germantown. I'm finding there are some corporate apartment options throughout the greater DC area, and have decided that's the way to go - a short term furnished rental that will allow me to explore the area over the course of a month or two. But from my googling and online research, you're right on with the Germantown MARC option. I like the idea of being able to sit back and relax on a train on the way into work. Thanks for the link.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:15 PM

63 posts, read 152,047 times
DistrictSonic - thanks for that info about PG. I have a niece in Columbia, MD who advises to steer clear of PG, and it's good to hear which areas are the ones to steer clear of. No, schools are not an issue, and if Greenbelt is a safe area, and places a little further out, then that's definitely worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC