Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 09:53 AM

63 posts, read 152,122 times

Advertisements

I expect a job offer in DC soon. I interviewed there for another job a couple of years back, and took the time to drive around Springfield, Woodbridge, and Fairfax, VA looking at strip malls, highways, and apartment complexes. I didn't care for those towns. Too much traffic, and apartments were either too expensive, or not as nice as I like, or not in great neighborhoods.

That tells me I need to look further out.

I need a 2 BR apt under $2,000/mo. I plan to commute into DC by train. Up to 1 hr on the train is okay.

Looking for affordable, safe, and quiet commuter train suburb in either VA or MD. I prefer quiet areas with light to moderate traffic, close drive to get out into the country for weekend drives/bike rides, etc. In my dream-world, I could be within a 15-minute drive of the train.

I've been looking at maps of MARC and VRE. From the maps, Manassas, VA looks good - affordable units on Apartments.com and about a 1 hour train ride, but I know nothing about Manassas, and I know nothing about any of the MD commuter towns. Either MD or VA is fine.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 12:01 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,413 times
You want the Northern Virginia forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/ Mods might move this thread there.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:48 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
1) "Light" traffic within an hour of the city is impossible.

2) Post in the suburbs forums for more results.

3) Identify WHERE in the city you will be working, and whether you want your commute to be an hour or the train ride to be an hour. There is a big difference.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:22 PM

Okay, thanks, I appreciate the direction to other forums. Since I want to consider both Northern VA and MD, I hoped it would be included in DC info. I'll see if I can post similar info in 2 other places.

As far as where in the city, the job is walking distance from Union Station in downtown DC, so I'm looking for a 1 hour train ride in.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:27 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locolady View Post
Okay, thanks, I appreciate the direction to other forums. Since I want to consider both Northern VA and MD, I hoped it would be included in DC info. I'll see if I can post similar info in 2 other places.

As far as where in the city, the job is walking distance from Union Station in downtown DC, so I'm looking for a 1 hour train ride in.
Live in or around Germantown Maryland. That is probably the best you will get based on what you want: Train access, cheap rent, close to country for weekends, etc.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:30 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
Moving further out is not necessarily going to get you less traffic. Manassas has terrible traffic. It takes like 20 minutes to go 4 miles down Sudley Road.

You will get more bang for your buck out there though. Train time from Manassas is about 1 hour 15 minutes and your commute would be like 1 hour 45 minutes door to door.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:43 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
Going further out does not mean less traffic, it means more traffic. Best way to avoid traffic is to live in the city itself, or the immediate suburbs (Silver Spring, Bethesda, Arlington, Alexandria, Takoma Park, Chevy Chase), and not drive much. The car dependent suburbs the roads are very clogged because everybody drives.

I am going to be direct once outside the beltway, your commute can be up to two hours. What you want, is unlikely to be accomplished on your limited budget, or for that matter at all. You were less than thrilled to what was available because of this. The nicer areas of Virginia and Virginia within ideal commuting times into DC cost more money.

With that being said there is no ideal setting where you would be a close drive to the country within an hour with light traffic. In fact here is the thing. Draw a 2 1/2 hour ring around the city. That's the DC area. Expect heavy traffic throughout it at all times of day in almost all areas. I know people who travel 2 hours each way to get into a setting you suggest. This commute breaks most people.

The recreational activities may still be there, but there is no escaping the traffic unless you live close to the core where fewer people drive.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 12-07-2015 at 06:51 AM..

Old 12-07-2015, 09:00 AM

Thanks all, very good info. I appreciate it. Another friend suggested the Germantown area - said it's in horse farm country - so I'll take a look at that. Looks like there are affordable apartments near the end of the Red Line, just a few miles toward DC from there.

DistrictSonic - I didn't know that traffic gets worse out in the suburbs, but that makes sense. If everyone has to drive, then everyone will. Yep, that's pretty straight forward. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm active, and like walking, so it can't hurt to check out the urban option.

Gomason - thanks for the heads up abt Manassas traffic. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, and I've been in places like that. Woodbridge and Fairfax seemed a bit that way when I visited there a couple of years ago.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:15 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,437 times
I would recommend Hyattsville or College Park if schools aren't too much of an issue. I just recently moved into a house in the area & only a few blocks away from Metro & love it so far.

I think the area gets overlooked a lot because it is in Prince George's County but i haven't had any issues so far & the area is very diverse with a lot of professionals moving into the area. Good luck with your search :-)

Old 12-08-2015, 07:00 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
You should look into MARC. There are stations in Germantown and Gaithersburg. It's about an hour on the MARC. The one big advantage of MARC is that it has free parking whereas parking at a Metro station costs $5. Here's a schedule: http://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defaul...an2015flat.pdf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC